OOC Community In-Game Roleplay

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    This is the OOC thread for the idea that was started here. Essentially, we create a character and play the game starting in a town I randomly assign you. In-game, it's just like playing the game. In the roleplay, as you reach areas in the game, you'll encounter them the way they are left by those who have come first. In this post, I'll outline the rules for this roleplay. In the next post, I'll discuss how you can join.

In Character Thread

In-Game Restriction Rules:
    1. If playing on PC, please disable any and all mods that aren't cosmetic. You may also not use console commands.
    2. Your difficulty should be set to 'Expert'.
    3. It is recommended that you reduce your Brightness to around 50% - this really adds to the immersion, in my opinion.
    4. We are using an alternative to the 'Dead is Dead' rule. If you die, you are considered to be knocked unconscious. All items you have (except keys and otherwise important items that you can't normally drop) must be removed from your inventory (NOT SOLD!). When you respawn, either drop them or put them into a barrel or something. You may not get them again. An exception would be any article of clothing you have, a dagger of any kind (your choice), and 10% of your carried septims.
    5. Please limit your carrying capacity to half your in-game capacity.
    6. You may not loot any weapon or armor that is marked as equipped from any dead body, with the exception of arrows. These items are considered broken, badly damaged or otherwise not worthy of your use.
    7. Please sleep for roughly 8 hours per day.
    8. Please disable the "Show Quest Markers" and also disable your quest tracker (or disable your compass on PC).
    9. No fast travel allowed except through carriages and the ferrymen.
    10. Dawnguard is not required, but highly recommended. For the sake of the roleplay, we will assume Dawnguard is active.
    11. In regards to shouts, because you're not the Dragonborn, you do not learn shouts as easily. Every 5 levels, you may spend a dragon soul to learn a shout. This means that by level 81, you can use a total of 16 dragon spirits.
    Roleplaying Rules:
    1. Your posts should include just a single day's activities.
    2. Please do not post two or more times in a row.
    3. At the top of your post, please (in some manner), show where your character is at the start of your post. Such as "Mercer Fray - Ragged Flagon - Enjoying his Mead" or "Astrid - Looking for new recruits in the Bannered Mare".
    4. At the bottom of your post, please (in some manner), show where your character is at the end of your post. Such as "Mercer Fray - Riverwood - Robbing Gerdur" or "Astrid - Plotting in the Falkreath Sanctuary".
    5. All your character's speech should be in a color while thoughts or dreams should be in the same color but in italics. Please do not use the default color for these thoughts and speeches. All NPCs, in mod posts and your own, should use this color (#CCFFCC). You may not use that color for your character.
    6. Posts should be made in third or first person, present or past tense. While journal entry style posts are a welcome addition, they should not be your main post. This is in order to allow interaction with other players, as journals are made after the fact.
    7. Added 8/21/12: The first person to be named Thane of a city is named Thane and is so for life, unless the character is killed, chooses to step down, or receives a bounty within the city. If the position of Thane is available and someone else, in their game, has gotten the title, they may contact a mod who will give them a quest from the Jarl to complete and, upon completion, they will be the new thane. You cannot be Thane at more than one city.
    8. Added 8/21/12: The house in the city belongs to the Thane of the city, after they purchase it. Even if the city has a Thane who has not purchased the house yet, you cannot purchase it. If a player loses their title of Thane, they also lose their right to live in the house.
    9. Added 8/21/12: Due to the limited number of houses, players may purchase a home in-game (but not in the roleplay) when they want to/can, but make their 'home' as any place in Skyrim. A cave, an abandoned shack, an empty boat... whatever. You may store things in the house in-game, but say they are stored in your 'home' in the roleplay. This is to prevent your things from disappearing on you. Acquiring items is the only time fast-travel is allowed! Simply mark the time you're getting your things, fast travel to your house and get them, fast travel back, and then wait until you're back to the time you started, though no doubt it'll be a different day.
    10. Added 8/23/12: In regards to daedric artifacts and their quests... these can be completed once. If an artifact is destroyed, it cannot be redeemed. Artifacts, in addition to their in-game properties, allow the player to 'hear' the Daedra that gave them the artifact, as well as having the following roleplay properties:
      1. Dawnbreaker - When drawn, ignites in flames.
      2. Ebony Blade - The wielder is haunted by the spirits of those s/he betrays.
      3. Mace of Molag Bal - The mace captures the souls of those it kills and they often whisper to the wielder.
      4. Mehrune's Dagger - Often tugs the player in the direction of a murder committed by another player.
      5. Sanguine's Rose - The player often acts compulsively, excessive drinking is often a side-effect.
      6. Skull of Corruption - Player can see flashes of memories from other players.
      7. Volendrung - After the player uses the weapon, the weapon disappears when the player sleeps. It's new location is randomly chosen by a moderator.
      8. Wabbajack - Player often descends into madness, suffers hallucinations, etc.
      9. Ebony Mail - The player has a venomous attitude.
      10. Masque of Clavicus Vile - Other players are often persuaded to do the wearer's will.
      11. Ring of Hircine - Player becomes more animalistic.
      12. Ring of Namira - Players becomes a cannibal.
      13. Savior's Hide - Player becomes more animalistic.
      14. Spellbreaker - Often warns player of danger.
      15. Azura's Star/Black Star - Azura/Trapped spirits often speak to the player.
      16. Oghma Infinium - Reading the book will answer any question the player desires.
      17. Skeleton Key - Can be used on other players as a sort of "truth serum".
    Continuity Rules:
    1. If you marry an NPC in-game, the NPC is considered the Player's wife throughout the game and can only be interacted with IC where she would be found in that player's game. She cannot be married by another Player.
    2. The same rule as above can be applied to Followers.
    3. When any named NPC is killed, their name, location of their body, and any significant details must be posted in the OOC thread. That NPC cannot be interacted with by any other player in the roleplay. Killing of NPCs is extremely frowned upon, especially the Hold's guards...
    4. The main questline is to be ignored. Although you may opt to have been present in Helgen when Alduin attacked, you were not the character on the block at the moment of the attack. You did not escape with Hadvar or Ralof. You were not the mythical Dragonborn. That was a nameless Stormcloak soldier - not your character.
    5. In regards to the main questline, one player may complete the Bleak Fallows Barrow questline and be present at the killing of the dragon at the Western Watchtower. However, that player does not absorb the dragon's spirit - the Greybeards do not call. The dragon simply dies.
    6. All Hold guards are controlled by Mods except in light conversation and interaction. For example, if you ask a guard which way to Jorvaskr, you can roleplay them pointing you in the right direction. If a guard helps you kill a dragon, you may roleplay that, too. If you are caught committing a crime and choose to fight the guard, you can roleplay that, too. Moderators keep the continuity... for example, if you kill someone and do not receive a bounty in-game, the crime does not go unnoticed in the roleplay. Guards will actively be searching for evidence in order to track down the murderer and/or thief. Be aware of this.
    7. All named NPCs that cannot be killed (and all the Jarls, including their major companions such as house carls) are controlled by moderators, again except for light interaction.
    8. All guild leadership is as it is at the start of the game, and their questlines do not exist in the roleplay. The leadership and all NPCs within are controlled by moderators. We will give you in-game things to steal, people to pickpocket, targets to assassinate, etc.
    9. Daedric quests, and their artifacts, are first come, first serve. Same goes for other major quests such as Markarth's.
    If you have any questions, please ask a moderator before posting.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    How to Join:
    1. Make a new character using the above restrictions/setitngs.
    2. Proceed through Helgen with either Ralof or Hadvar.
    3. You may not do ANYTHING in Helgen. Make no attacks, do not get hit, cast no spells, pick no locks. Take only one Iron Dagger, the clothes you're wearing, and all the loose gold you can find. Feel free to take coin purses and loot the skeletons. Do not pick any locks to obtain extra gold.
    4. It is possible to simply sprint through Helgen after you lower the bridge. You can run past the spiders and the bear without worry.
    5. After you get out of Helgen, run down to the river and swim to Whiterun. If you die during this process, it does not count. Just reload. Do not activate any of the stones.
    6. When you get to Whiterun, post here. I will randomly assign you a city via randomizer.org.
    7. Post the below form here and you may begin roleplaying.
    Character Name:Your character's first and last name
    Race: Khajiit? Altmer? etc.
    Personality: Give us a small paragraph about your character's personalty.
    Backstory: How did you end up to be where you are? You may opt to leave this blank until you've been given a starting town.
    Posting Color: Refer to Posting Rule #5.
    Please try to keep with established lore as best as possible, but feel free to be creative.

DMs:
    DMs are moderators within the roleplay. They may play the role of major NPCs as well as approve characters for joining the roleplay. DMs may not accept their own character nor may they interact with major NPCs and control them. All interactions between players and NPCs are done by two separate people.

Katastrophe
    MushroomGenius

Registered Members:
    Locations are posted besides the character profile. If a character is no longer with us, their location will be put in red font. They are considered a major NPC or otherwise dead.
    [x] Gaius Ulixes - A Butcher living life in Whiterun
    [x] Allysian Liore - Riften
    [x] Khal-zeen - Imprisoned in Riften Jail
    [x] Nerlo Darellius - Windhelm
    [x] Ula Katariah Septim - Winterhold
    [x] Ragath-Gro-Azuk - Solitude
    [x] Dreadfall - DECEASED
    [x] Velid Anahill - Riverwood
    [x] Cyrus A’Tor - Dragonbridge
    [x] Tharas Frostborn - Dawnstar

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Dead NPCs/Inactive or Dead PCs:
    If you kill a named NPC, please post here with who, where, and any other details. For example "Sven is dead and his body is located now the river from Riverwood, beside a tree, washed up on shore. There is a deep gash across his chest."

Laelette - Located at Helgi's grave outside of Morthal, she is clearly a vampire. It appears her spine has been broken in several places.
    Narri - Murdered outside Dead Man's Drink, her body has since been buried in Falkreath.
    Khal-zeen - Imprisoned in Riften jail for the murder of an Argonian in Beggar's Row. Anyone who speaks to Khal-zeen will hear only his pleas of innocence.
    Dreadfall - Killed in Lost Valley Redoubt, her body has since been disposed of by the local Foresworn.
    Erandur - Killed in Nightcaller Temple. His body can be found on the alter in the center with multiple, large cuts on his shoulders and back.

Active Crimes:
    Active Crimes are those committed by players that leave evidence. Guard NPCs will actively be investigating these crimes in the roleplay, so be aware. Only guards within the Hold of where the crime was committed know of them.

Murder of Narri [Falkreath Hold] - Body was found stripped naked outside Dead Man's Drink with multiple stab wounds. No signs of sexual assault, nor any eye witnesses. Currently believed to be the act of a traveler.

Taken Quests:
    Quests that are taken, but can be activated by someone else, are marked with [ ].
    Quests that are taken and cannot be activated by someone else are marked with [/].
    Quests that are completed are marked with [x].

Talen-Jei's Wedding Band - MushroomGenius [ ]
    Helm of Winterhold - TheCropp [ ]
    Clear Redbelly Mine - MushroomGenius [x]
    Sylgja's Delivery - MushroomGenius [x]
    Clear Moldering Ruins - Conquers-Many-Foes [ ]
    Laid to Rest - Stutta [ ]
    Amren's Family Sword - Stutta [ ]
    Defend Carlotta from Mikael - Conquers-Many-Foes [x]
    Sven vs Faendal - Conquers-Many-Foes [x]
    Waking Nightmare - Katastrophe [x]
    Erik the Slayer - Conquers-Many-Foes [x]
    Infiltrate Treva's Watch - MushroomGenius [x]
    Sonda's Note - MushroomGenius [/]

Name: Gaius Ulixes
    Race: Imperial
    Personality: A very peaceful man. Not very smart.
    Bio: Gaius used to be a butcher. for ten years he had done nothing else, for it was all he had. Until the bandits came. They ransacked the shop and then burned it. Gaius was fetching some water, and when he came back he saw the burning house that had been his all. Dismayed, he crossed the border to get away from his memories about the place, and arrived at Whiterun with just some clothes, a little coin, and an iron dagger.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
    Character Name: Allysian Liore
    Personality: Broken. Fearful.
    Backstory: Greetings. I'm Allysian Liore, despite what you may have heard, I'm innocent. There was a time when I was on top of the world, I had it all. A good trade, decent income, a loving husband, a beautiful daughter. Then one morning I woke up and it was gone. My husband laying in bed next to me, dead. My daughter in the next room, dead. Both by poison. I was unhurt. They say poison is a woman's weapon, but this was not my work. Suspicion immediately fell upon me, the town alchemist. How could they think I was capable of such madness? Nothing else in our home was touched. The windows, unbroken. The locks on the doors, functional. All of our valuables, intact. I was distraught. Depressed. Confused. The people in my town started weaving dark tales about me. Each day the mystery surrounding my family's deaths became more intricate and implicating. I buried myself in my work. In an episode of poor judgement, I left a brazier unattended, my business and home burned to the ground. I lost everything. The innkeeper took me in, within days he heard the guards were looking for me to take me in. He gave me a few septims and told me to make my way to Riften in Skyrim. I've never been to Skyrim before, he said to see his sister Edda, last he heard she was running a small business there.

K3V!N

Character Name: Nerlo Darellius

Personality: Good conversationalist and barterer from work experience. Adventurous spirit. Distant except for those closest, doesn't want to be tied down. Gets into bad situations from being overzealous and overly optimistic. Not a good combatant, has very little experience with fighting.

Backstory: Nerlo is from the Imperial City in Cyrodiil. His father, Archimedes, had a long career as a sailor and as such, he was born and raised in the Waterfront district. Nerlo has fond memories of welcoming his Father home after long voyages as the ship rolled into the dock.
    Raised mainly by his mother, Camilla, in light of the fact that Archimedes was away for months at a time. Has one sibling a sister named Aemilia who is a barmaid at the Tiber Septim Hotel in Talos Plaza back home. Aemilia is younger and her and Nerlo keep in touch mostly through letters (how I will be writing a lot of the roleplay).
    Nerlo's parents are now semi-retired and are still living in the small two-bedroom house that Nerlo grew up in at the Waterfront. Camilla has a small herb garden that she tends to and sells to the alchemy shops in the Market District and Archimedes is working on a book about his adventures at sea and the distant lands he has visited.
    Growing up, Nerlo had a huge interest in his Father's stories. Everytime he'd come home on shore leave Archimedes would have wild tales of people he'd met and places he'd been. Nerlo wants nothing more than to explore the world, just as his father had.
    At a young age Nerlo began sailing for the East Empire Trading Company and has worked as a deckhand on several ships. During this time he became experienced in trading goods and bartering and has made connections throughout Cyrodiil. Skyrim is an unfamiliar territory to Nerlo and he has only ventured to the region a few times until now.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    The three of you got your towns on the other thread, so you know the drill. :p
    Unless you wanted to change it up, you're good to go.
    I'll be joining this after work.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Character Name: Khal-zeen
    Race: Argonian
    Personality: Khal-zeen is reserved and doesn't talk much, especially to strangers. He has always lived a life of solitude and self-reliance and views other people, especially those with whom he forms relationships, as a hinderance. A possible weakness. A vulnerability. Born under the sign of the serpent, Khal's personality can be described as venomous, to say the least, once he gets going. A born thief, Khal regularly attempts to avoid conflict unless he can end it quickly.
    Backstory: Born in Black Marsh, Khal-zeen grew dull of his home, but he made his way to Skyrim due to his thievery. He moves into a town, settles down, rids the people of their wealth and then flees. The conflict in Skyrim drew him in. Although armed conflict is never good, chaos is. Khal-zeen learned this during the Great War and his father learned it during the eruption of Red Mountain. Riften seemed a natural place to start due to the apparent presence of the Thieves Guild. While one might consider competition bad, Khal-zeen saw it as an excellent scape goat if not an opportunity to make more wealth.

ALSO I added a new rule concerned major NPCs.
    And Mushroom, don't double post in the future. :p
    Although I love them and am insanely jealous of your format, I want to make sure some sort of timeline is kept by this minor post restriction. But I'll ignore this one simply because your first one was a bit of an intro post. :p

MushroomGenius

<-- In violation of Rule #9. I double posted, but nobody else was active, it's all within the same in-game day anyway. :)

Just FYI: Beggar's Row in Riften has been burned to ash, along with the body of some unnamed, skooma-addicted Argonian.

Nevermind... *waves wand* Beggar's Row has been restored!

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    <-- In violation of Rule #9. I double posted, but nobody else was active, it's all within the same in-game day anyway. :p
    Fair enough. :p

Just FYI: Beggar's Row in Riften has been burned to ash, along with the body of some unnamed, skooma-addicted Argonian.
    O_O
    Not so fair enough.
    I'd uh... rather... not destroy... the world... if you could maybe, edit that part...?

MushroomGenius

O_O
    Not so fair enough.
    I'd uh... rather... not destroy... the world... if you could maybe, edit that part...?

Aww, it's a minor location... Very well I've adjusted it.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Aww, it's a minor location. Very well I've adjusted it.
    Actually, I didn't even know it existed... xD

But still, where was I supposed to sleep, hm!?
    :p

I'll be posting tonight for sure. Supposed to go out with a friend (she had a rough week) and then I'll be back to play and post.

Really though, love the format. I have a capture card so I guess I could take stills from that to allow for visual aids but... meh.

MushroomGenius

Actually, I didn't even know it existed... xD

But still, where was I supposed to sleep, hm!?
    :p

I hear the Ratway is particularly cozy. :)

I'll be posting tonight for sure. Supposed to go out with a friend (she had a rough week) and then I'll be back to play and post.

Really though, love the format. I have a capture card so I guess I could take stills from that to allow for visual aids but... meh.

Great, can't wait for everyone to get going on this.

Thanks for the compliments on my format. Although I don't expect everyone to follow suit, it just makes the walls of text a bit easier to digest. Takes a bit longer for me to come up with the screenshots and the story, but visually, it's worth it.

So at this point, am I free to wander the lands or will you continue assigning us locations that we weave into our storytelling?

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    So at this point, am I free to wander the lands or will you continue assigning us locations that we weave into our storytelling?
    You're free to do whatever.

As a "DM" for this, I'll only play the roles of major NPCs when you choose to interact with them. Nameless guards, merchants, etc... do your thing. Ulfric, Mercer, Astrid...? I'll play them. I assume everyone will be able to denote the difference between major and minor NPCs.

Also, rules 18, 19 and 20 (regarding items) have been removed. Way too complicated, in my opinion.
    Rule 22 has been added about killing NPCs.

TheCropp

The Last of the Septims Dynasty
    Hellou :3
    I really would like to join this RP, so here's my character card.

Character Name: Ula Katariah Septim
    Race: Nord
    Personality: Ula is a friendly person, always there to help. She is smart, has a gifted talent for speeches and she likes being in the nature. She also enjoys playing flute (sadly, other people in the room don't). Ula has a small mental problem - radical honestly (she never lies...).
    Back-story: 178 years after the death of Katariah Ra'Athin, Ula Katariah, the last of the Septim Dynasty, was born in a small town near the border of Skyrim - Elinhir. Her mother was a descendant of one member of the Blades, which was pregnant with the child of Pelagius Septim III. She died right after she gave birth to the child. Ula's father remains unknown, but rumors are telling that he is a cousin of the High King of Skyrim - Torygg, who was murdered by Ulfric Stormcloak (or, let's say: "Shouted into pieces"). Ula grew up in a farm close to Elinhir, where a farmer and his wife had provided a shelter, food and water after she was left on the street, because of her in-born "abilities" (she really was only over one year old when she was abandoned from the children's care home).
    Ula learned how to use the sword since she was able to hold one in her hands and has mastered the arts of sword swinging with ease.
    When she grew older and older, many things changed. The farmer, Jhara, died because of a lung infection and his wife had to throw Ula out, because of the lack of money. The last descendant of the Septim Dynasty was on her own. She had no other choice than to move on to Skyrim, where the ancient ruins and bandit owned forts held treasures for her to discover.
    When she reached the border of Skyrim, she came into total chaos: the forces of the Imperial army were fighting against the Nordic rebels - the Stormcloaks. Ula ran into the deep forest and continued her trip through Falkreath and Riverwood to a central city of Skyrim - Whiterun - where she hoped to be able to find any work to get some money for the shelter, food and water. So, she found herself in the Bannered Mare...

I hope you liked this, and I hope you let me join :)
    Any feedback or ideas about the character card are welcome (PM, of course) ;)
    Sincerely,

TheCropp

MushroomGenius

Hellou :3
    I really would like to join this RP, so here's my character card.

When she reached the border of Skyrim, she came into total chaos: the forces of the Imperial army were fighting against the Nordic rebels - the Stormcloaks. She didn't have any time to hide or run away, because Hadvar, a soldier of the Legion, hit her with his shield, so she lost consciousness.
    A few hours later she woke up in a carriage, together with a nord named Ralof, a horse-thief from Rorikstead and the one who killed the High King...

I like it, but remember:

1. The main quest line will be ignored AFTER the first dragon is killed. Whoever goes and defeats that first dragon is NOT Dragonborn. The Greybeards do NOT call. No one else may roleplay killing the dragon at the Western Watchtower, but you can obviously do it in-game. You were not the person getting their head chopped off when Alduin attacked Helgen. You did not escape with Ralof/Hadvar.

Be sure to read the restrictions and abide by them! :)

I just can't find the time for this. Sorry, but i am out.

Sorry to hear that Herm, guess we'll have to find an elegant end to your Butcher. :sadface:

TheCropp

The Last of the Septims Dynasty
    Be sure to read the restrictions and abide by them! :)

Let me change that.
    Where do I get started? What thread? :)
    Sincerely,
    TheCropp

Edit: The issue was fixed.

MushroomGenius

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Sorry I've been away so much. I blame work.
    Curse you bills... /angryfist

I'm going to reexamine this and try to get caught up in the coming days.
    My sincerest apologies.