• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rumor

So, a few weeks ago - I developed pink-eye in both eyes. I wasn't that sad when I called in to work while I fired up the xbox. Perched in my throne, I wasn't able to see the game as well as I'd like because my vision sucks & I couldn't wear my contacts. I did the only logical thing and drug the recliner across the living room to where my feet almost touched the stand. After I resumed wearing contacts, I found I liked the chair there and it stayed for another week or two. My living room looked like we were moving or something - but it was awesome. We had to move the recliner back because we had family visiting and it looked a little ghetto.

This evening I grabbed my goodies, turned on the xbox and sat in my old throne. It's disappointing. My TV is awesome, one of the nicest things I've ever gotten myself and it should be more than sufficient. But...after being four feet from it (ophthalmologist's nightmare) for 10 days, it's just not the same from across the room. When you're close, you're peripheral is like you're there! The sounds, the fish - the moving blades of foliage. Sure, a little close you can see some the strange dots that form the shape/shading/colors - but the trade-off is more than fair. From my current throne, my peripherals include the rest of my living room and I'm not sure I can ever go back. It used to be satisfying, but now it's like I'm looking down a looooooonnng hallway to....my daily vacation. My birhtday's coming up. Told the sweetie man that I need a "gaming chair" that is easier to position and put away than the recliner. If you've not tried it, I invite you to. I don't know how you play, but...usually I'm about 10 feet away. I'm not a doctor and I should never say this, but if you've not tried sitting close - where your vision is nothing but the game - it's freakin' awesome. Careful, you just may not want to go back. I'm now trying to decide if I want to heave the over-stuffed leather recliner back or just roll the office chair up...

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I agree im about 3 or 4 feet away from my t.v u feel like ure actually in skyrim (well almost lol) it just adds to the immersion for me, my eyes are great (so far lmao)

Chadonraz

I sit really close to my TV as well; the distance is less than a meter. But then again, my TV is only 32'' (because that's the biggest I can safely fit in this student apartment).

I used to play from across the room (3 or 4 meters away), but then I wanted to try playing with headphones. They're not wireless, so I had to move really close to the TV to be able to use them. And I haven't moved back since. I did the change before buying my 360 and downloading Skyrim, so I've never played it from a distance. I'm guessing it would feel weird, and the game wouldn't be nearly as immersive as it is now. I know my favourite Xbox games became even more fun after moving -- even though they, not being HD, didn't look as good as from afar.

Sulekha

While I don't sit too close to the TV, I can see how being so close would feel like you're really in it. Almost like virtual 3D.

For me, the immersion comes from the sound. My husband has set up the surround sound speakers perfectly and being able to hear Skyrim sounds to all sides makes all the difference. It's crazy when I hear a roar from the side and turn around to have something lunge at me. Scary yet fun.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Someday....

Saozig

Hippy
I sit about two feet from my sweet sweet Samsung flatscreen (one of the nicest thing I've ever bought myself as well!) when I play on Xbox. I'm very near-sighted and hate that I can't see as much details or "feel" like I'm really "with" the action onscreen when sitting where I usually sit when I just watch TV, even with my glasses. I also how the TV sitting at the right height s I'm not looking up or down at the screen, but pretty much straight at it from where I sit. I'm so close that if I don't play regularly (a few times a week) I can give myself motion sickness as my eyes need to adjust to it. So when I've not played in a while I take OTC motion sickness meds 15-20 minutes before I sit down to play. I prop myself up on my sooper-fancy Target ottoman with my sooper-fancy IKEA folding sidetable for drinks and the laptop if I need to get online to check for something (like a glitch fix or alchemy recipes). Thankfully since the TV's in my room and not in a shared room I can set up my gaming enviro as I wish. If I had space for a proper chair I'd get one. And I do definitely daydream about having a gaming room with an even bigger, sweeter flatscreen.

But if I'm just watching regular TV, I'll sit about 6-7 feet away, usually so ican do other things, llike prctice guitar or work on my language studies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts