• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I'm a sufferer, I admit it. I get bored of my characters way too easily. But I realized that I was just using generic strategy guide builds, and not personalizing them to my liking. I had a decent epiphany just now, though.

Anyway, I've finally settled on fusing a traditional warrior build with Conjuration and a bit of Illusion. It's sort of reminiscent of what I'd be if I were magically whisked away to the Skyrim universe.

My question for you all: Have you ever had chronic restart syndrome? I certainly have. xD

Haha, of course. I didn't finish the main quest until I had already put over 100 hours into the game spread across various characters. I started to try to keep track of why I was getting bored of certain characters, and I realized it was always when I started fast traveling. I can't exactly explain why, but when I walk everywhere from place to place I don't get bored as easily. I think it's because I try to pretend I'm on foot. I don't go too far in a single day, find a place to sleep before dark, and eat and drink something in the morning.

It helps that I don't play an invincible character by any means, and running into a powerful animal during my travels can almost certainly be fatal if I don't use my head. It makes it more fun when you feel a little vulnerable. I don't want to feel like a god in Skyrim, I just want to exist in it, if that makes sense haha.

Moris

It's gotten so bad now that I rarely get past level 7 any more. I've essentially given up playing and just take screenshots or take movie clips that *someday* I'll get around to making into a 3 minute video.

My most common commands are tfc, tm, tai, tcai, tdetect, tc, sgtm, help, and player.placeatme.

It must time to start writing fan fiction.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I have four characters, the ones in my signature. This week I have been planning a remake of the uppermost two as more suited races with more tailored gear, skills, and abilities so I can experience playing them at a low level.

I don't think that remaking characters is bad at all, I just prefer to switch between different characters instead of discarding them. I definitely make my characters with a vision in mind, I often encounter problems when trying to fulfill this vision as I tend toward a melee playstyle, in fact all of my characters use one handed, but one, who uses two handed.

Just find what you enjoy playing, and play it. I dabble in all of the skills in skyrim and have a great time doing it!

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I start a new one every time I get a new idea in my head. Every time I think of a name I like, or see a character I think looks interesting, or just want to play an old quest again. (Though I still only have one serious magic user.)

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I have this problem so bad to the point where I've never even beaten the main quest, haven't even got past the greybeards/haven't beat Dawnguard/haven't beaten Mage Guild. It's sad, and it makes me sad but I just cannot, for the life of me, get past level 30 with a character.

I've tried everything, spellswords, pure mages, pure warriors, warrior archers, battlemages etc etc. Then I was like, wtf am I doing? Why don't I pick and choose what skills I favor using and build a character on my preferences instead of forcing myself into a role.

So I figured out what character of mine in the past I had the most fun with. It was my Orc spellsword-archer-I-don't-really-know-tbh. I utilized sword and shield with archery and defense magic to back me up (Conjuration/Restoration) and I did surprisingly well and had quite a bit of a fun with it. The one thing that gets me is even though the Orcs look fierce as fluff, I just can't wrap my head around the thought of an Orc Dragonborn (I'm not racist, I swear!) and after reading up on some of the Orcish lore of the game...well they get tossed around by everyone basically and I just can't have that.

This is what I did: I went into the game files and edited the Nord's (because being a big ass motherfluffer with a bigger beard is what I'm talking about, Viking plops) powers and all I did was replace the useless and frustrating War Cry power with the Orc Beserker power. So now Nords have 50% frost resist and Berserker. I don't think this is OP at all, maybe just as OP as choosing a Breton. 50% frost resist is on the same levels as the 25% all magic resist as the Bretons and the Berserker power is practically the Warrior's version to Dragonskin.

And here comes the birth of Odin Magnar. Favoring One-handed/Block/Archery(with a lil sneak)/Restoration/Heavy Armor/Conjuration. So far, he's great and I have a really good feeling about him. Its the first time I've actually designed something around the skills I actually enjoy instead of forcing them. That happened with my spellswords/pure mages/anything magic-related-minus-defensive-magic because I just cannot get into it, I just cannot but I was determined to force myself for a while.

So hopefully after, what, a year and a bit I can actually get around to beating the main quest and the DLC. Dragonborn is rolling up on the PC soon so I really gotta get my plops together and get this done before I just say fluff it to everything and abandon the game altogether. Will Odin Magnar stand up to the challenge? Only time will tell, really.

(Inb4 I delete him tonight)

Cazimir

I have about 12 characters who haven't even made it past Helgen. I'll probably wind up deleting them because I either forgot their purpose or won't like how they look. The other day I also had to resist restarting Willah. Just because I was curious about Faendal and realized I sided with Sven in their quest for some reason.

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
I don't get bored, I just want to have a lot of characters that can experience the journey of the Dragonborn. It mostly happens when I think of a new character and name, but otherwise I like to stay with a systematic leveling with my characters. If I had four characters, let's say, I would level each up to level 5, move onto the next and so on until all are the same level. And then I'd move onto the first character again and start it over. Of course, that's only when I'm leveling—not when I'm sight seeing, questing or quest leveling*.

*levels you gain through quests only

Suleku

The Grey Knight
lol only had this illness 3 times when my freaking saves get corrupted >.>... it's alot easier doing this on the PC because of the console commands tho

AS88

Staff member
My Sig says it all.. I have played the majority of them to a fairly decent level, but a lot of them will wait until I get a PC so I can actually RP them with realism mods, etc. Only 2 of them are Dragonborn..

And when I played an Orc Dragonborn, I found it quite easy to justify. Akatosh grants the Dragonblood to the one he sees fit, so who's to say he can't choose an Orc to be a powerful Warrior/whatever. The Orcs claim to have been in Skyrim longer than the Nords anyway :)

Raven

I've had it at least 5 or 6 times for each of my 3 characters. I spend ages making the face and getting the correct body type too. I waste too much time lol

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I used to have this terribly, I must have created at LEAST 50 characters with most of them not making it to dragonsreach.
I found that I have to somewhat identify with my character, for example my argonian and khajiit characters I've made have been my favourite looking, I made a khajiit that was probably my best ever character creation. However I don't feel connected or I can't get used to being a beast race, I even play 1st person most of the time so it's not like I even see them.
Most other races I've been successful with, my best Oblivion characters were a female heavy armoured Orc and a male wood elf conjuration/illusion archer and assassin.
I find the human races boring because it's too much like a normal person so I like the elves a lot, they are not beast races but they are different enough from humans that it feels a unique experience with them.
My current favourite build is a high elf called Malacar, he's a pure mage but he is proficient in 1 handed (from the bound sword) although I only put perks in magical skill trees and alchemy.
I've always liked archery but I could never fit the tree into my build so I chose archery as his hobby, when he's bored he goes out hunting on the plains and in the reach for deer and elk with his bound bow.
He is a sleeper agent of the Thalmor and spends most of his time acquiring magical artifacts, which he keeps for himself and does not hand over to the Dominion, it's his main weakness he strives for ultimate power through any means and he would easily sacrifice a 1000 lives to achieve it.
He lives in Markath and studies the dwemer too, he's definately my favourite character build.

I think the main key to building a good long lasting character is stopping for a moment and writing a bit of a backstory for them that explains why they do what they do, things like hobbies, likes and hates etc all add to the depth of the build.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I've come to the realization that I'm like Seinfeld for characters. After a few hours i notice a flaw (she has man hands) and need to start over. I rebuilt the first two characters in my sig at least five times a piece and I've already renone third once.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
I usually restart every month if I get bored, I tend to always restart when a new DLC is released. I get bored way too easily.

On my latest build I'm going to try my best to get to level 81, I've failed in every attempt so far, I think the highest I've been in like level 65.

With this play through though I've added about 30 mods that all have new quests, so I don't think I'll get bored so easily, plus I'll get the DLC for my PC on Tuesday which should also help make things more interesting.

Omniamundus

Man, i'm sitting on top of save 286... I think I've built characters, gotten them into Helgen Keep, and deleted them, so, yeah, I've got it bad. Although, for me at least, the cure seems to be getting out of the very first part and hitting the world. Once I'm out there, I take off. It's been getting better recently. I've logged maybe 12 hours on my Bosmer archer consecutively. Rehab.

Reactions: Niq

Omniamundus

I've come to the realization that I'm like Seinfeld for characters. After a few hours i notice a flaw (she has man hands) and need to start over. I rebuilt the first two characters in my sig at least five times a piece and I've already renone third once.
Runs-with-Scissors. That's beautiful.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts