Can You Out-pace Your Magic?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I have one serious magic user character who I have noticed is getting much harder to play at higher levels. When I get warrior types to the highest levels it actually gets easier, but with this guy... The enemies are getting so strong that even the master level spells are getting pretty ineffective. Has this happened to anybody else?

Pileggi

Destruction spells don't scale much at all in the damage department. The only way to bring destruction damage up is with the 2/2 +25% to that respective element. You can also bring damage up a little more with destruction potions which can be found all around Skyrim including Alchemy stores but they are quite rare and do not last very long. Unfortunately player crafted destruction potions only seem to bring down the magicka cost instead of the damage.

As a result destruction spells lose effectiveness at higher levels as enemy health increases where as your damage output remains more or less the same. You'll find destruction even worse when bringing the difficulty up as this will further nerf your damage and if that isn't bad enough enemy mages will do more damage than you at higher difficulties making you feel like a very underwhelming mage.

Bethesda seem to have done a poor job with the destruction tree which is disappointing as its arguably one of the most popular schools of magic and is the only school that deals direct damage. :/

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Yup, the balance definitely sucks for Destruction in Skyrim. If you are on PC, I strongly recommend you look into mods that help that inefficiency, there is a bunch of them. Otherwise, pour all your perk points into destruction or turn down your difficulty.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
Yup, the balance definitely sucks for Destruction in Skyrim. If you are on PC, I strongly recommend you look into mods that help that inefficiency, there is a bunch of them. Otherwise, pour all your perk points into destruction or turn down your difficulty.

Doomy

It might take longer to kill them, but with impact they still shouldn't actually get to hurt you, and you should have enough reduction to blast away indefinitely. Gave up my destro mage at about lvl 50

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
I have played on my magic user since the game came out and is still playing a lot with him.
Its really hard to only focus on magic as of what you just said, the game gets more difficult faster than the magic get's more powerful.
After countless of hours I managed to come up with a solution.
Get a bloddy sword. Enchant the hell out of it and chop of some heads.
Battlemage is so much more rewarding. (I switched to a more Battlemage style at level 60ish)

LunaMoth

If you stay under level 40 you shouldn't have a real hard time on adept. With my last mage I was about level 38 and had just the right amount of challenge versus 3 Falmer Shadowmasters and a Chaurus Hunter, I was shooting out fireballs(w/o impact) like a machinegun and almost died twice but it was a good fight. My point is if you can handle that you should be able to handle anything at that level.

mamali

Never tried a magicka guy , i like to face my enemy in the eye , smash his head with a mace :D
i think you should use both magicka and weapons .