Can you buy the Breezehome if you took over Winterun with the Stormcloaks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Elladale_Darkwood

My dad is looking for a house but he is unsure if he can buy the Breezehome after the Stormcloaks took over Whiterun and can't afford the one in Windhelm. Anyone know if he can?

ZombieTrash143

Hellish rock-and-roll Freak
Yep you can. I think you have to assist the people of the hold first though (think it's 5 people) Talk to the Jarl then and he should point you in the direction of the Steward and then talk to the Steward and the dialogue should come up.

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
Yep you can. I think you have to assist the people of the hold first though (think it's 5 people) Talk to the Jarl then and he should point you in the direction of the Steward and then talk to the Steward and the dialogue should come up.
That's for becoming Thane.
To buy a home you just need to do 1-2 quests for the Jarl to gain their trust; they'll then offer the ability to purchase a house or homestead(if Hearthfire's installed).

You can also bypass this if you takeover a city from the opposing faction in the Civil War or the Season Unending quests.
example: if playing Imperial, taking over the Rift installs Maven as Jarl who allows you to buy property from the get go.

JClarke1953

Yeh, but Maven "needs" to die! She is more of a part of the Thieves Guild than is known, she is praying to the Dark Brotherhood for someone's death (the Dragonborn?) among other back-handed dealing's.

I can hardly wait until she isn't an essential NPC. It's too bad that as the Listener, she isn't one of the assignments.