By Popular Request - the 10 WORST perks Skyrim's new leveling system has to offer!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Balance

Own Face.
Eh, I wouldn't say forgotten - but perks come slowly after level 20, it's better to save them for a later level then to spend points in things that are almost purely aesthetic. More often then not, those perks only take effect when someone is already at low life - and about to die - anyway, making them almost useless in effect.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Obviously the master locks are easier to pick when you can just get the unbreakable pick. But all lckpiking perks are useless exept the one where you find rare items
The archery one where you pick up more arrows
The blades man perk. Why get that that when you can just get the one that improves your damage by 20%
Soul trap with bound weapons. It seems ok until you trap a wolf in a grand soul gem by accident

Yeah illusion is "useless" if you want to kill fast, but its fun to watch enemies kill each other

Ironclad

On the topic of far-casting runes, if you've just Whispered / Detected any potential sarcophagi opponents you can aim a rune at its feet. It immediately opens the box and stalls & wounds the undead. Just shooting a fireball at the closed box doesn't seem to activate the opening. Maybe follow this action up with a line of runes to your person?

Soar Tueth

I thought the same thing about the runes but i actualy just saw a youtube clip yesterday where somone placed a rune at somones feet instead of trapping a corridor. it was almost like using a fireball it seems. They were running turned, aimned the rune at their feet and BAM! i never thought to use it in that way

I tried that-- once. Then I thought, "I paid hard-earned/looted $eptims for that magica & time-waster?" As a spell, Rune anything is worthless, much less wasting a perk on Rune Master. Why not use a fireball at their feet? Why switch from a range & close-up spell?

xaraan

I'd agree with most and add almost every lock picking perk because they arent needed.

Disagree with poisoner perk. I've used that on my assassin a lot, helps to take people out without causing a scene,especially if you have to be up planting something on them anyhow. And when you are making your own poisons you end up with some good stuff to plant. Also useful with paralyze and frenzy types in some instances.

Also disagree with deflect arrows. Although its not as handy as it could be, its useful, especially when death lords with ebony bows are shooting at you in numbers.

The one perk that bugged me was in alchemy, the tasting perk, you have to spend three perks in order to know all the effects of something and it's half way up the tree. This perk should be an easy access perk and just cost one. Most people will just use the net anyways.

Tiger_Wolff

Just for the fun of it I tested out a rune master/stealth character. I have all 3 different runes and use the one that I think will be the most effective. I dual cast them with most of my gear with fortify destruction. To cast them don't cost me that much and with my magicka regen, I can take on a mob with no problems at all. Runes are fun to use for AOE. For single targets, I use bow or dagger.

I don't know how you feel about Thread Necromancy, but here's some of my opinions to try, and justify the Bump.

Ward Absorb: The only thing that makes Wards useable, and it works on Spellbreaker. Pretty useless, except in very specific circumstances, when it absolutely rocks. Dragonbreath is completely stopped, without damage, as long as you can keep the Ward up. The Magicka drain makes this sticky, but with WA, not only does it pay for itself, but charges your blue gauge for the next Thunderbolt. So, the 2 instances where this isn't useless start with Yol, and Fo... You hear that, put up your Ward quick, and you can shoot back through it as long as he's breathing on you.

Runemaster: Again has a very limited use, if you build around it. Generally not worth the trouble. I like to drop a Shock Rune behind certain spellcasters, like the Foresworn Forager working the Forge at Kartspire camp so when she backpedals while warding, she deprives herself the ability to drop that Frosty, and start spamming Ice Storm. Similarly with Dragon Preists, Thalmor Wizards, and the general Robe wearing set, if you're throwing lightning on their Wards, it gets annoying quick, and this stops that particular fight.

Re: Kiting onto Runes. I do that at low levels, it's good practice for when you get to Wall spells. Since you're casting at your feet, you don't need Rune Master. Skip it. Frost Rune is a good all purpose getaway, because it Slows them, while you're trying to escape the melee before getting Squished. Runes are poor man's Fireball. Once you get to 50, might as well use something cheaper, like Ice Storm.

Lockpicking, all of it. Learn the minigame, level it up for points to spend elsewhere, and leave it at that. I never have to buy lockpicks. It's really not all that hard, and once you get up to 100, even Master Locks are doable without too much trouble with Any player skill. Golden Touch, and Treasure Hunter are all right, but are they really worth the 5 points to reach them? By the time you're up to 70 skill, hopefully you can Make your own Special Treasure. Level it up, and spend the points on Crafting instead, you'll make more money that way.

Hunter's Discipline: It's a gateway for Ranger, which isn't all that wonderful anyway, because Archery lacks the RoF for effective Run&Gun tactics. Go with Destruction instead, you can run normal speed with firebolts blazing from both hands, and it doesn't cost a single perk. Save 2 points, and maybe have to buy more arrows.

Paralyzing Strike. I leveled 1H to 100 for a random chance to knock someone out, and have to run backwards to do it? At least with Bullseye, Power Shot, and Critical Shot(3) chances are any given arrow will paralyze, stagger, or Crit. If not, it's a pretty safe bet either the last one, or the next will. Sure, you can beat the odds, and string 3 regular shots in a row, but it doesn't happen often. With Warmaster, you can at least have Reach Advantage so he doesn't have to be the same size as you, with a shorter weapon, and identical encumbrance so you can get more than 1 attempt before he catches up, or you leave him behind. Oh yeah, and this is Spamming Power Attacks hoping you get lucky before you run out of Stamina, or into the bit-map. Good luck with that.

Disintigrate has a hidden effect that lowers the target's total health, not unlike Marked for Death/Dragonrend. It doesn't lower Armor as well, but Lightning goes right through it anyway, so who cares? (As long as you aren't using necromancy. Against necromancers, conjurers, vampires..? It's invaluable.) Deep freeze, see the last paragraph. Intense Flames: Yay, I get to chase them down right as they're thinking about popping off that Healing spell? Sign me up!

Matched Set: Not useless useless, but easily skippable, especially if you want to mix, and match all the lovely enchantments available in Light Armor. (A lot of them unique, or non-disenchantable.) Krosis, Morokei? Not compatible. I'd rather use the Gauntlets of the Old Gods with Linwe's/Ancient Shrouded cowl for 45% more bow damage than get a 25% boost to AR.

Soul Siphon: Okay, for some reason, you can't Soul Trap, find the Black Star, or be bothered scaring up a Skeever's Spirit to top off that Daedric Mace of Please don't hit me with that? Even under those circumstances, this isn't really worth the point. Not only that, but with Siphon, it reduces the already minimal experience you get from topping off your magic weapons when the leveling is starting to level off (assuming you didn't just Bookshelf Train, Grind, or Console Cheat up to 100.)

Stealth (3-5): Okay, these can be somewhat useful for getting within Dagger distance without detection. You need 1 point to open up the tree, maybe 2 here to get up to Skill Level 40, beyond that, save it for something that will count. In Heavy Armor, I can get Deadly Aim at 40, and just not have to get that close. Don't even need Muffled Movement, and if you can find something with the Muffle Enchantment, stomp around all you want. After (3) the 5% increments become progressively insignificant. At 60, save it for Silence. 80, you can hold out for Shadow Warrior.

Shield Wall(2-5): Another one you spend 5 points to get a 50% increase. My main character right now is unarmored other than The Targe of the Blooded, no Juggernaut perks, nor Smithing, total AR=20. 1 point in Shield Wall to unlock the rest of the tree. If you're in capped out armor, you can save these points for something more effective. Unsmithed Heavy? Probably got something higher priority. Light armor, no Smithing, on Master level, go ahead and max this one out. Just about any other case, you'll find better protection elsewhere.

Restoration Dual Casting: For what? Turn Undead of a higher level? Make your Circle of Protection Last Longer. I know, more than double the drain of Wards with less than double the protection! Heal 220% more for 280% more Magicka! None of them sound like a bargain. Not even a gateway for a cool effect like Impact. Skip it.

Deflect Arrows is iffy. With Block, you have the problem that while you use it, you can't do anything else. Now, if you look further up that branch, you have to pass Elemental Protection (Which works as long as it's hanging on your arm, regardless of the text) to Block Runner. Ahhh! Now you can advance to squash the Archer distance with less than 100% protection, but it still helps a lot. Next up, Shield Charge, which lets you simple run them down, then hack them to peices while they try to get up. (Without Deadly Bash, which just didn't make my list. Not unlike PS.) With a Destruction Shield Mage (Or Conjuration with Flaming Familiar) I can charge a Firebolt faster than he can draw, and pull an arrow. Block, bolt. Rinse, repeat. Again, it doesn't stop every arrow, but when you're trading shots, his Light Armor does nothing, and about half of his bounce off. Also, the Imperial Shield, and Ysgramor's both have plenty of coverage. Pick up the Kite, hold Block, and turn the camera to show the front view. You see a boot, and a half, part of the top/side corner of your head? So does the Archer.

The Balance

Own Face.
I agree with everything except deflect arrows. There's some enemies that appear at lower levels with ebony bows. They usually 1-shot me and almost always hit unless I've got range on them. This perk is a lifesaver if you're a shield user. Other then that, yeah, garbage.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Way key is useful for completionists. Disintegrate is an effective -15% to all enemy's health, a great pick for non-conjurors. Deflect arrows is very helpful for the slow moving blocker to avoided being kited to death. The entire lock-picking tree is something you should've included. Also, lame perks in alchemy, pick-pocketing, and stealth (trap avoidance) are all just filler really.

Drecon

The one perk that really bugs me is Intense Flames. Just when you get the opponent down to low health they run away and deny you the kill. Worst perk I ever picked.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
The one perk that really bugs me is Intense Flames. Just when you get the opponent down to low health they run away and deny you the kill. Worst perk I ever picked.

I can see that, is the frost perk that paralyzes them any good?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Disintegrate is an effective -15% to all enemy's health, a great pick for non-conjurors.

Not really how I experienced the Disintegrate perk... this is what I've noticed:

Actually, that's how I thought it worked too, but that's not really the case in my experience using Lightning almost exclusively as my Destruction magic of choice.

You will only get the Disintegrate if you CAST the skill at the target when the target already has less than 15% of life remaining. If you drop the target from say 25% life down to 10% life, they will survive and continue fighting. It's the NEXT blast of lightning that will vaporize them.

One-shotting an enemy like a Crab, for instance, will not result in a Disintegration. Nor will it occur if your follower puts one arrow into a normal Bandit and you wipe them out with the next blow.

I'm pretty sure that in the Prima "Official" game-guide it's as how you described, I was pretty disappointed when, in actual gameplay, my experience was quite different.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Haven't tried it yet, but it looks good on paper.

Yeah, this reminds me. I really think that the thief and mage playstyles were lacking in content. No, none of the trees should be "cut", but they could do with some consolidation for TES 6. Destruction, restoration, & Conjuration are fine as they are, but alteration and illusion should be melded, like what happened to mysticism from Oblivion. With this slimming down the series would be free to explore new ground. They could add a much desired druid tree. Before you voice lore objections I have three words for you: priest of Kynerath. Just like how restoration users are priests of Arkay (or Stendarr??? there's SO many gods XD). Druidic would have to incorporate elements of destruction, restoration, and conjuration, but it would be a more finnesed skill than the current "pure" magics. Examples would be a wind spell that pushes enemies back, a poison spell that drains health to you, or a summoned spiggan that heals you when it dies. I'm ramblin, but I just think that TES could use some fresh air (fresh air - pushes enemies back and heals all friendly targets =P).

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
I agree with everything except deflect arrows. There's some enemies that appear at lower levels with ebony bows. They usually 1-shot me and almost always hit unless I've got range on them. This perk is a lifesaver if you're a shield user. Other then that, yeah, garbage.

But in your original post you listed Deflect Arrows as one of the most useless perks. Are you looking to debate just for the sake of debating?

When it comes to which perks are useless and which aren't, it really does depend on the character and player. Heavy armour/illusion/conjuration/two-handed perks are completely useless to me because I don't use any of them; that doesn't mean they're useless in the Skyrim build. I'm a habitual archer and even I find some a couple of the archery perks kind of useless just solely based on how I choose to play.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts