Buying First House... What do you reccomend?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Hjerim is my favorite.....love the armory with all of the mannequins. still curious about the house in solitude

Cyren

Hjerim is my favorite.....love the armory with all of the mannequins. still curious about the house in solitude

House in Solitude is nice... however there is not any storage chests in the armoury and only two mannikins. I wish it also had places to store ingredients and things of that nature for enchanting and alchemy. It is a really nice house though, but has one bedroom (nice bed). The Whiterun home rocks it for storage.

mellojoe

Whiterun's Breezehome is super convenient.

I recently got Hjeirm in Windhelm, and while I love the layout of the actual house, I hate the city. The house is big, has a cool backstory, a secret room (that can have an Alchemy and Enchanting table), some mannequins, a few display cases, and a few weapon/armor racks. Plus the decorations make it feel like a hunting lodge. Very cool. This city is laid out pretty stupidly, though, and I always get lost.

Finally, there is a brilliant mod known as Dovahkiin's Hideout. I'm currently using the Compact version of it, and it is just great. It basically gives you a basement with all of the smithing/enchanting tools including a smelter, forge, grindstone, workbench, alchemy and enchanting tables. It has a ton of mannequins and storage options everywhere. It is laid out well with some great character, including an office/study. The nice thing, too, is that it connects to each and every other house you own. Therefore, one basement serves all houses. You can stop off at any of your homes and have central storage for everything. The full Hideout is too big to describe. You have to see it to believe it. Truly brilliant work.

Anyway, I only own the two houses so far, but I'll probably be getting a third here soon enough.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I make a point of purchasing all of the houses, but I stash all my stuff in Breezehome in Whiterun.

In my first playthrough, I dropped loot off wherever I happened to be at the time, which ended up being a problem when I went to Riften to grab a set of armor, only to find it wasn't there, and I couldn't remember where I'd left it. This happened over and over again, and got to be very frustrating.

So now I just keep everything in Whiterun. It's central, so no matter where I am, it's not too far of a trip (though if you quick travel everywhere and don't care about how much time is passing, I guess any one of the towns could work). The only downfall is, as others have mentioned, it doesn't have an enchanting table, but I don't mind running up to Dragonsreach to use theirs. But, I believe Breezehome is the cheapest house at $5000, so it's the obvious choice if you're buying a house early on in the game. Come to think of it, Honeyside in Riften might cost the same.

The character I recently started has a backstory and is originally from Eastmarch, so I'll probably make Hjerim in Windhelm her home base. I like the idea of choosing a home based on your character's race, political alignment, backstory, and so on.

kaisersaucy

Got a question on Honeyside in Riften.........Is there any point in buying it if you are a member of the theives guild?

As it stands you have a bed to use in the cistern & a safe place to store things, do you get your own room when you complete the main line of thieves guild missions? If so do you think it makes honeyside a bit redundant?

On this playthrough I only intend to do thieves guild, dark brotherhood, main, and stormcloaks. So you could expand the question really, to, is there any point in buying a house inside a hold where you are a guild member? Or does sleeping and storage within that guild largely make having a home in that hold surplus to requirements?

Right now I've gone to level 19 without having a home. In prev play I bought Breezehome & I like Whiterun but it's a bit of a pain having to trek up to the Jarls place for enchantment or collecting bounties etc. I thought it might be nice to have a change. Markarth makes sense for a base in the west, and everyone rates the windhelm house....but both are way out of my price range right now, especially figuring in the cash to furnish them properly.

just to be on the safe side, if the dark brotherhood is located in a hold could people not mention where it is or whats there.....not joined up yet and I want to find out for myself

RedVideo

His Excellency
There's always the "Free House" exploit. Where you stash your coin in the middle of the transaction so you get the key but keep your cash.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
There's always the "Free House" exploit. Where you stash your coin in the middle of the transaction so you get the key but keep your cash.
Bear in mind that using that exploit may make your house glitchy and you could possibly lose your stuff. Proudspire Manor has similar issues from what I've read.

RedVideo

His Excellency
So how do you do that?
http://www.pureglitching.com/showthread.php?2576-SKYRIM-Free-Whiterun-House-and-Upgrades-exploit

This worked for me in Whiterun. It worked for my son in Solitude. In Markarth there was not a storage vessel close enough, but I didn't follow the guy around all day, either, to find a time when he was near one. In Windhelm there was not a storage device around either, but there was a dead body, so I dragged it over to the guy's feet and used the body to store the gold.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Breezehome. Central to everything in Skyrim. Full smithy right next door, 3 weapons/armour vendors right next to it as well to flog off your wares. Only down side is no enchanting table. I just fast travel to Dragon's reach for that (its way quicker than walking there from your home). + you can sell your stuff to the mage who's always next to that.

It may not look like much... but its home.

kaisersaucy

Yeah like I said I went for breezehome in my other game. It is good for everything except the lack of the enchanter table & either the lengthy slog up to the Jarls place or the load screens if fast travelling from the house, also it is central so it minimises travel time. I do prefer to ride around rather than fast travelling all the time, I only do that if i'm in a rush or if I've done a short mission like a numbers job for the thieves guild which required me to travel to markarth.....which is a hell of a distance for the round trip even when on horseback.

I know everyone say's Hjerim is the nicest house in the game but what puts me off is that It's not close to the fast travel point, and Windhelm isnt my favourite city. I do like Honeyside, think the interior layout is nice & you have the bonus of being able to access your house from outside the city walls too. Plus you get an enchanter table, a tanning rack, shops and market stalls right outside your door & a short walk to the Jarls place.

I could just buy Hjerim, Breezehome, and Honeyside, but it seems like a bit of a waste of cash considering they are all quite closely grouped together.

Maybe they should have added the option to put a home up for sale if you later decided you didn't really need it, or to rent it out. Not for a huge amount, maybe just 100 gold a week of game time, bit more for the bigger grander houses.

RedVideo

His Excellency
Maybe they should have added the option to put a home up for sale if you later decided you didn't really need it, or to rent it out. Not for a huge amount, maybe just 100 gold a week of game time, bit more for the bigger grander houses.

I love that "rent-it-out" idea! Hey! Bethesda!

DJFlegg

I think the rent it out idea is brilliant, if your spose can own a shop you can own a flat to rent! I'm sure with all the little RP details that have crept up in skyrim that ES6 will be even more character immersive I know its a little early but I cant wait for the next game :p haha

I havn't yet owned a house I usually just sell what I dont use anymore and am always deleting characters and starting with fresh ideas, my new character is going to be a keeper though so will be looking for storage.

Is storing stuff in your room at the mage's college safe storage ?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Got a question on Honeyside in Riften.........Is there any point in buying it if you are a member of the theives guild?

As it stands you have a bed to use in the cistern & a safe place to store things, do you get your own room when you complete the main line of thieves guild missions? If so do you think it makes honeyside a bit redundant?

You don't get your own bed or chest. I know there are plenty of beds in the Guild, but I can't recall whether or not you can sleep in them, or if they're owned. And I have no idea if the chests in the Guild are safe to store items in. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

However, a perk to having Honeyside is that it's accessible from outside of Riften, so if you have a bounty in the Rift from thieving or what have you, you won't have to worry about being arrested when going to Honeyside.

By the time you've been through a few Thieves Guild quests and odd jobs, though, you should have earned enough to buy Honeyside anyway, haha.

kaisersaucy

You don't get your own bed or chest. I know there are plenty of beds in the Guild, but I can't recall whether or not you can sleep in them, or if they're owned. And I have no idea if the chests in the Guild are safe to store items in. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

When you access the cistern from the secret entrance, turn left and cross the small bridge, the first bed you come to let's you sleep in it. Now I don't know about the chest, but I have left stuff in the small bedside table next to that bed & it has remained safe in there for lengthy periods of game time. So I would say it's safe to leave stuff in there & as that's the only bed in the guild which will allow you to sleep in it, it does seem like that's your allocated space within the thieves guild.

DJFlegg......I'm not sure about your allocated cubicle in the college of winterhold, I would guess that it's safe but I don't recall leaving stuff there. My other character that I've temporarily put into hibernation due to starting off a new character, had homes in Riften and Whiterun, so he just used to make flying visits to the college before dashing off on missions, stuck to storing my things in my houses. Sure someone will be able to answer for sure though. Or you could test it to be safe, just leave a low value item there & see if it remains after a decent amount of gametime has passed.

On a next elder scrolls.......I really really hope they don't make people wait anywhere near as long as the gap between Oblivion and Skyrim. The wait between games was ridiculous for a series which is so massively popular. Sure we had the Fallout games, which are great, but tes is on a whole different level of it's own.

If your just starting out I would suggest Breezehome in Whiterun, you can get it for free and Whiterun is a greet town full of shops also Whiterun is in a great location right I the middle of the map.

I have all the houses in Skyrim my favorite house is Hjerim in Windhelm because of how open the house feels great place to show off my trophies just wish I could get the blood off the floor.

You can get pay the steward to clean the blood off the floor of Hjerim

xaraan

I always buy the Whiterun house, it's the cheapest, you get to it first and are allowed to buy it without doing extra stuff b/c they make you Thane as part of the main questline. From there I buy whatever works with a given character as I get to it, but I usually need storage asap.

My fav house is the Riften one though, has alchemy and enchanting, two maniquins, good storage, entrance to house from outside the city, pretty close to a smith as well.

xaraan

What do you mean. I would love to know what to do.

Any house with a mannequin (not just Proudspire) you just click on the mannequin and store apparel on it then before exiting the menu take the stuff back off and leave it empty. Then when you leave and come back into the house the stuff will be on the mannequin again. Only issue is that it only holds so much like this; you can't keep duping stuff over and over usually b/c it will remember the first several things and not hold more. Also if you dupe something that you created and enchanted I believe it will only put the base item on the mannequin and not have the enchantments you added (your originals will still be ok in your own inventory though)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts