PC Buying a computer- please help?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

iLouis

Psst...I know who you are. Hail Sithis!
Hi guys,

I am an avid PS3 Skyrim player, and have recently decided to buy a laptop. I was wondering if these laptops would be able to run Skyrim- I know next to nothing about computers and I'm really hoping someone could help me out (also looking for some inexpensive laptops). Are these laptops able to play Skyrim (preferably on a medium setting or up). Thanks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...lack/4693773.p?id=1218509070679&skuId=4693773

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...lack/4819247.p?id=1218535466558&skuId=4819247

Doro

i am not sure with those machines but i will tell you that even high end pc the graphics card can get hot enough to cause graphics failure after a bit. ventilation is really important to keep the card cool. this is when running it in a high graphics mode. also if you are not running in the higher modes then the lack of smoothness is very bothersome. most of the laptops do not have a separate graphics card so games are limited. laptops also heat up badly because of poor ventilation. i know this doesn't completely answer your question as to the specified machines. but i am fairly certain you will not get better than a low end graphics experience with either one of those laptops. if you decide to buy one make sure of the terms to return them. usually 2 weeks for laptops with all packing and boxes to go back with them. maybe talk to the manager himself to confirm whatever the sales person tells you.

iLouis

Ok thanks, any other input from anyone please? I don't want a desktop, I would much rather prefer a laptop.

Doro

i
Ok thanks, any other input from anyone please? I don't want a desktop, I would much rather prefer a laptop.
you are welcome. i also checked into it a little further. absolutely do not get any kind of laptop with an integrated graphics card. no amount of tweaking will fix it for you.

iLouis

i
you are welcome. i also checked into it a little further. absolutely do not get any kind of laptop with an integrated graphics card. no amount of tweaking will fix it for you.

How do you tell if it has an integrated graphics card?

Halkin

pzzzztt
the issue with maimstream vendors is they always focus on ram, its cheapest of the cheap.

for dedicated gfx look for something like Graphics Chipset:AMD Radeon HD 6310, that was just an example but at least it means it has dedicated graphics. google that spec also.

its all fine and well vendors trumpeting their spec but they always focus on the easy part

redrkt

Premium Member
How do you tell if it has an integrated graphics card?

99% of all laptops have integrated graphics, to get what you really need to be able to play high end games on a laptop would run you into the Thousands of dollars for an lower end one, and as the other people here have stated, for the money you are much better of going with a desktop instead, not only for the current performance but upgradability also. Don't get me wrong, there are some great laptops out there, just not really up to the job of running a good video game though.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts