Xbox 360 Bug with Latest 25MB "Title Upgrade" Help!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Joel G.

Is anybody having any issues casting magic spells after the latest upgrade? Ever since I downloaded the 25MB title upgrade content for Skyrim a week ago, I have not been able to cast any spells, no matter what type.

Its annoying because I had built my character primarily as a destruction/conjuration mage with some minor weapons abilities "for fun". Yesterday I went into Broken Oar Grotto to take out the bandit leader there, and it took me 10 tries to wipe him and his crew out with conventional weapons; whereas I would have smoked him (literally as "Fireball" is one of my favorite destruction spells) in 1 or 2 tries if I had had my magic available.

I have tried re-loading the 25MB title upgrade content several times, and deleting the old one several times as well; with many reboots in between. I also cleared my Xbox cache completely clean. The only thing I haven't done is cleaned the Skyrim memory, but of course if i were to do that i would just call it quits because all of the time i have spent already crafting my character.

If you have any tips or ideas please help!

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Try a whole new character, if it is still not working uninstall the update and any other Skyrim related data other than your game save. After that try your old character again, if it is still not working try a new character again. If at any point it works on the new character but not the old then your character is broken and you need to start over.

Joel G.

Try a whole new character, if it is still not working uninstall the update and any other Skyrim related data other than your game save. After that try your old character again, if it is still not working try a new character again. If at any point it works on the new character but not the old then your character is broken and you need to start over.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try creating a new character. It would really be a bummer if I had to start over though. I have a butt load of house and armor riches, in addition to my destruction and conjuration trees almost being filled up.

I already bought the Dragonborn DLC, so I will have to think about returning the game and the DLC if I can't get the magic to work again :sadface:

Squirrel_killer-

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try creating a new character. It would really be a bummer if I had to start over though. I have a butt load of house and armor riches, in addition to my destruction and conjuration trees almost being filled up.

I already bought the Dragonborn DLC, so I will have to think about returning the game and the DLC if I can't get the magic to work again :sadface:
I'm going to tell you a secret, most people restart thousands of times when they play Skyrim.

JClarke1953

I'm one of them, lol! Starting over can be a PITA, but, you know what's what, and you can take a different path than the one you had been on. And after you get started anew, you'll find it's really not so bad.

I HAD to start over when in my own ignorance about how the XBox works (I'm 60, and the console is our son's, who is in Okinawa until 2014). I started a new game after I had "won" the war, 3 homes filled with loot and several hundred thousand in gold, and had beaten Alduin. I happily played for a few day's, then decided I wanted to have my other char do some gold farming. Well, she was GONE! I had to post on here what I had done, and it was then I found out I had to make another avatar in order to play Skyrim with a saved game or two while playing under another.

Joel G.

I'm going to tell you a secret, most people restart
I'm going to tell you a secret, most people restart thousands of times when they play Skyrim.
Well I tried your suggestion, and sure enough the magic worked on my new character and NOT my old one :sadface:. That's a bummer because now I need to get to level 30 (not sure on the level?) before my dragonborn DLC (that i just bought) will kick in.

At least i did pick a dark elf this time and seem to be breezing thru the game a lot faster because of the natural resistance to fire and fast magic learning. Plus it helps that I know how to use weapons better this time around too :)

I picked an Argonian the first time around because i thought i would need the underwater breathing and it just looked like a cool character; but alas I learned the hardway that the Argonian is susceptible to fire and Hitskin really doesnt help you much in battle, plus there are not many levels that you need underwater breathing.

I do love my dark elf though, I called him "Badass". haha. Thanks again for the suggestion, here is a toast to conquering skyrim all over again!

Joel G.

I'm one of them, lol! Starting over can be a PITA, but, you know what's what, and you can take a different path than the one you had been on. And after you get started anew, you'll find it's really not so bad.

I HAD to start over when in my own ignorance about how the XBox works (I'm 60, and the console is our son's, who is in Okinawa until 2014). I started a new game after I had "won" the war, 3 homes filled with loot and several hundred thousand in gold, and had beaten Alduin. I happily played for a few day's, then decided I wanted to have my other char do some gold farming. Well, she was GONE! I had to post on here what I had done, and it was then I found out I had to make another avatar in order to play Skyrim with a saved game or two while playing under another.

Can you clarify that? You mean you have to have multiple saves on both characters, or one will get erased eventually? If that is the case i will keep the 3 saves i had on my broken character and keep 3 saves for the new one running. Thanks for the tip!

JClarke1953

What I found out from other's on these forum's, is that to save just one game, so you can begin a new game, is to make a new avatar on your XBox. I don't yet know how many avatar's one can make, much less how many saved game's.

I do have two avatar's on my XBox, and two saved game's, one game for each avatar. I'm guessing I can make 2-3 more and play a new game of Skyrim under each. I also have an external USB 60 gig. HD to store them for "just in case". The problem I'm trying to figure out is it doesn't copy my saved game's, but stores them. And I'm not really sure how many I can actually just keep on the XBox, or should I store each game I want to save on the external.

That and I wonder about any transfer error's if I move save's from one medium to the other. But right now, I just have two.

Tilse

Spellsword
I have the same problem as you. With my first/main character, I can only cast simple spells with ease (such as Flames or Healing). Last time I played though I was able to cast either Firebolt or Fireball (I don't remember the names well, just a more advanced Destruction fire spell) if I held the trigger with all my might and THEN released....but it seems like such a chore to do that. I did uninstall the update and whatnot, but still had that same problem. My main character/file is also prone to freezing more often...
With Aumsi (second character), she doesn't use spells, so I honestly don't know if the same problem exists, but I do know I've yet to have a random freeze while playing as her.

Joel G.

What I found out from other's on these forum's, is that to save just one game, so you can begin a new game, is to make a new avatar on your XBox. I don't yet know how many avatar's one can make, much less how many saved game's.

I do have two avatar's on my XBox, and two saved game's, one game for each avatar. I'm guessing I can make 2-3 more and play a new game of Skyrim under each. I also have an external USB 60 gig. HD to store them for "just in case". The problem I'm trying to figure out is it doesn't copy my saved game's, but stores them. And I'm not really sure how many I can actually just keep on the XBox, or should I store each game I want to save on the external.

That and I wonder about any transfer error's if I move save's from one medium to the other. But right now, I just have two.

So you have to have two avatars to have two saved games? wow, i dont know if i want to go to that extent of protection. I think if this second character gets "broken", i might just have to give up the game for a while. I'm trying to do as much as i can quickly now so i can get to a high enough level to do the dragonborn DLC. i'd rather play it with magic than without.

Joel G.

I have the same problem as you. With my first/main character, I can only cast simple spells with ease (such as Flames or Healing). Last time I played though I was able to cast either Firebolt or Fireball (I don't remember the names well, just a more advanced Destruction fire spell) if I held the trigger with all my might and THEN released....but it seems like such a chore to do that. I did uninstall the update and whatnot, but still had that same problem. My main character/file is also prone to freezing more often...
With Aumsi (second character), she doesn't use spells, so I honestly don't know if the same problem exists, but I do know I've yet to have a random freeze while playing as her.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one with this issue! You would think that with the new update, it would IMPROVE things and add more new capability, instead of damaging things that already work.

Does anybody know if there bethesda has any place to give them feedback? like thru email and such...

JClarke1953

Yeah, if you try to run a new game using the same avatar on your XBox, it will overwrite the game you were playing, and you'll lose everything (like I found out). So, to keep the one you're playing, and you want to begin a new game, you'll have to make another XBox avatar.

Squirrel_killer-

If you make a manual game save you can make a new character without over writing. I learnt this the hard way back in Oblivion. As for updates adding issues, that's Skyrim for you. Back in update 1.5 PS3 would crash when ever you left the water after swimming.

JClarke1953

Joel, it won't necessarily be "protection", it just allows you to play a new game of Skyrim. It gives you other option's to work on, and allowing you to dictate and change the path you are on in your present game, while still allowing you to go back to your first one to see what change's you've made on how your char makes their way thru' the land.

Gowsh

Old Fart

I don't understand. I've got saved games for 4 or 5 chars on my Xbox 360 Slim HD with only one Xbox Live avatar. The saved games are named after the char name, so unless you save over your previous saves, there shouldn't be a problem. I've also moved them around on the HD several times when clearing the game to try and fix the annoying (and apparently completely ignored by Bethesda) Xbox specific bugs like the inability to properly track misc. quests.

Sorry if i'm in late on this one, so if you found that this was the only way to fix the prob for your equipment, just ignore me.

JClarke1953

Hmm, I "guess" what I have is the XBox "slim"? It's black and has 2-motion sensor's on it, one for the CD tray and another for on/off.

So, what exactly did you do in order to keep more that one game saved under one XBox avatar?

Gowsh

Old Fart
My Xbox is the latest version (I think), bought in Feb '12.

I started a new game with my new character (not avatar) name and played. The saves were kept in the same folder (auto-named Skyrim at installation) on the HD with all my other char's game saves. It was that simple.

Were you storing your games on the cloud? That might bring up issues like you describe, although I've never used it with my Xbox and as a result, can't comment.

Luck.

JClarke1953

No, I don't use the "cloud", seems to hinky, lol. I will confess to my ignorance as to how to keep and save a game, while working on another to go in a different direction or path. All I could figure out was to just make a new avatar under my gamer tag, and begin a fresh game under that.

Tilse

Spellsword
No, I don't use the "cloud", seems to hinky, lol. I will confess to my ignorance as to how to keep and save a game, while working on another to go in a different direction or path. All I could figure out was to just make a new avatar under my gamer tag, and begin a fresh game under that.

That's the way I've been doing it between my two characters...it's safer for me anyway, if there's an easier way I'm not really aware of it/understand it, besides being careful with your manual saves.
I have an Xbox 360 Arcade, so...if that makes any difference. I had to buy a hard drive.

Joel G.

Welp. Everything worked fine with my new character up until i hit level 5, then i lost the conjuration spells. Then i hit level 10 and i lost the advanced destruction spells. I hit level 19 and i lost the destruction staffs. This is so annoying.

I decided to try my first main character again and saw that the beginner level destruction and restoration spells (flames, healing, and Frostbite) do still work as you mentioned in your post. So I decided to just stick with that and sell my staffs, because i at least have better armor and weapons with my original character. I just with i had known that i was going to lose my magic again with the second character i created, so much time lost! lol

Oh well, at least I am enjoying the new Dragonborn DLC! I just hope i'm able to build up my weapon skills before i meet up with the original dragonborn.

I'm going to concentrate on getting better with archery and just perk up my weapons skills to be able to do the same amount of damage that i was doing with my conjuration and advanced level destruction skills. Anybody got any suggestions on how to duplicate the amount of damage a fireball spell would do with a conventional weapon? at the moment i'm loving that i still have dawnbreaker, blade of woe, and mehrunes razor saved up in my arsenal! :) however, these are more close range weapons than the long range destruction i was creating with the fireball.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts