Xbox 360 Broken Thieves' Guild Questline

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bananban

My Theives' Guild quest, The Pursuit, is broken and I need some advice on how to fix it if it's even possible without console commands.

A long, long time ago, I started the Pursuit and because I wanted Chillrend to be at it's maximum power, I suspended the quest to grind up to level 46, completing the Main and Dark Brotherhood questlines in order to do it. In other words, I've long since deleted the save to simply reload a previous save and correct my mistake. Now, at level 46, I have returned to finish the questline.

My problem is that Karliah is stuck in the Frozen Hearth Cellar and won't speak to me. I've looked this up, it was because I left the cellar before she originally did and now she's stuck there. Supposedly returning to the Dwemer Museum will reset the quest Hard Answers and you can have the conversation with Enthir and Karliah again, allowing her to leave the cellar before you do.

I've found that all to be true, so far. I've returned to the Dwemer Museum and reset the quest however there are several doors, most notably the one going into Calcemo's room where you get the Falmer translations, which ask for a key. I have the key but the door still won't let me reenter that room.

It is the Dwemer Museum Key that I need, right? If so, why isn't this working and is there anything else I can do to fix it?

I'm not so bothered by the fact that I can't complete the questline, though I'd really like the Nightingale Bow and Armor, I'd want to have is the other services from the Thieves' Guild. I can't turn in my current Thieves' Guild side quests nor can I upgrade the Dawnstar Sanctuary.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I believe that once you enter Calcelmo's Laboratory that you actually need Calcelmo's Laboratory Key

bananban

I believe that once you enter Calcelmo's Laboratory that you actually need Calcelmo's Laboratory Key

That would make sense.

Now that I've looked into the subject a bit further, another bug appeared when I was first doing Hard Answers where the Dwemer Museum Key opens everything, I never got Calcemo's Laboratory Key in the first place... and there are none of the Wizard Guards wandering around the area to get the key from.

This sucks :sadface:

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
That would make sense.

Now that I've looked into the subject a bit further, another bug appeared when I was first doing Hard Answers where the Dwemer Museum Key opens everything, I never got Calcemo's Laboratory Key in the first place... and there are none of the Wizard Guards wandering around the area to get the key from.

This sucks :sadface:

Might be a stupid question, but did you try and pickpocket the lab key off of Calcelmo? That's how I got it.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

There's one in Calcelmo's actual bedroom and his nephew carries one too when he's in the museum.

bananban

There's one in Calcelmo's actual bedroom and his nephew carries one too when he's in the museum.

This might sound funny, where is Calcelmo's bedroom? Is it in the museum?

Also, I know his nephew holds a key, problem is the nephew is gone. I have no idea where he is. I didn't kill him, or anyone, the first time I went through the quest, but he isn't with Calcelmo in Understone Keep and he isn't anywhere in the Museum, either. There are no NPCs in the museum beyond that first room with the guards (who don't hold the key to Calcelmo's Laboratory, just to the Museum).

bananban

That is very strange...Like RedneK said, there is an extra one in the bedroom. Have you looked there?

That's my very next stop on my list. Once again, is it in the museum or somewhere else?

I really hope I can fix this somehow... I don't want to have to start another save just to do the Thieves' Guild quests.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

There are certain actions within the laboratory that cause everyone to run for their lives, and this would cause him to disappear until you open the tower, although he usually dies when you set off all the traps....
Could be a bug, as for where the bedroom is, I think it's on the north/northwest sidde of the furthest room that you can access at this point.

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
That's my very next stop on my list. Once again, is it in the museum or somewhere else?

I really hope I can fix this somehow... I don't want to have to start another save just to do the Thieves' Guild quests.

Yes, it should be in the museum. I cannot remember if it is locked or not, so you should have some lockpicks just in case.

bananban

There are certain actions within the laboratory that cause everyone to run for their lives, and this would cause him to disappear until you open the tower, although he usually dies when you set off all the traps....
Could be a bug, as for where the bedroom is, I think it's on the north/northwest sidde of the furthest room that you can access at this point.

I wonder if that's the bug that's the problem with the missing NPCs. Maybe I'll just set off all the traps to see. Also, I'll go searching for the room, thanks.

Yes, it should be in the museum. I cannot remember if it is locked or not, so you should have some lockpicks just in case.

I'll head in to find the room when I play next. Oh, don't worry about the lockpicks, habitually looting and stealing everything in sight has given me several hundred of those...

I really hope this bedroom has the key I'm looking for...

bananban

Thank you RedNek and Lanconite!

Telling me that there was an extra key to Calcelmo's Lab in his bedroom solved all my issues! My Thieves' Guild questline is nearly complete thanks to you guys!

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

No problem, I'm here to help