• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have obtained The Black Star item, but it said it can only hold black souls. I thought all black souls were grand, but when I went to recharge my weapon it said "The Black Star (petty)"

Can it hold white souls too or are there just petty black souls?

vitrioso

Black soul sizes depend on level i.e. an imperial citizen would be a common black soul.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
This is a glitch from what I've heard. It's refillable though so just blow the soul off on recharging or enchant something. You may also be able to just drop the Black Star which should cause it to empty.

And ALL human races have grand souls.

EDIT: Just to be clear, that includes Argonians and Khajiit.

vitrioso

This is a glitch from what I've heard. It's refillable though so just blow the soul off on recharging or enchant something. You may also be able to just drop the Black Star which should cause it to empty.

And ALL human races have grand souls.

EDIT: Just to be clear, that includes Argonians and Khajiit.
Oh, didden know that sorry. :p

mellojoe

The Black Star is simply a re-fillable black soul gem. Black soul gems can hold any size soul from the smallest to the largest, and black soul gems are the only ones that can hold souls of playable races (humans, etc). It can still be filled with petty and common souls of mudcrabs and elk and trolls, for instance. Basically each soul gem is like a Russian nesting doll. The smallest one can only hold the smallest souls. The lesser can hold the smallest (petty) as well as lesser. The common can hold: commons, lesser, petty. Etc. The black star can hold: black souls, grand, greater, common, lesser, and petty.

Just drop it to empty (any soul gem). or the Star, just use it to recharge a weapon and it will empty.