Black Ops 2: Review and Thoughts.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I know, I know. CoD sucks, CoD players are 12 year old kids, CoD games don't count as games, and I've betrayed you all by buying this game.

Now that that's over with,

The game is actually pretty good. I've liked Treyarch's CoDs since COD3. WaW brought one last rush of nostalgia as CoD quickly moved away from its WWII roots. Black Ops 1 was a brand new setting that wasn't quite WW2, but wasn't the present day either. It was the first CoD game that I played where I actually cared about the characters, primarily Woods.

And now Black Ops 2.
Campaign

This game is still a continuation of Blops 1 (Just as Blops 1 was a more-or-less continuation of WaW, although it's hard to tell how) and has you switching back and forth between an aging Alex Mason in the late 1980s and his son, David, in 2025. You hunt down a Nicaraguan terrorist who keeps dying and coming back to life. So basically, he's like Rory from Doctor Who.

You wouldn't expect it from a CoD game, but Blops 2's campaign was fantastic. It has branching storylines, with the decisions you make usually following the pattern of "If you let this guy live, this other guy might die who could have otherwise saved the life of this other character."

Multiplayer

The multiplayer is better than I had expected. Nuketown returns if you preordered the game early enough, and it sticks to its roots for the most part. Wager modes are now Party modes for people that didn't like the betting system they had in the last game. Sticks and Stones is a particular favorite of mine. The Ballistic Knife and Tomahawk are now easy enough to use that you can have fun with it.

As for the maps, few are bad enough that I feel the need to back out of a lobby to avoid playing them. Several stand out as great maps, those being Hijacked, Plaza, and and Standoff. Standoff really gives you that Classic CoD feeling and is good for pretty much any game mode.​
I'd go into Zombies, which is a huge upgrade from the last two, but I don't have room to go into detail. All in all, the game is great, and even better compared to the CoD series as of late. I strongly suggest picking it up if you've got the cash and have been looking into it, or if you're just a CoD junkie.​

Octavia

~ Ryla <3
I didn't even preorder and I still got Nuketown 2025, lol. Anyways, good post, I agree with pretty much everything here, especially the campaign, instead of constant "Do this, then this, then this" It's a bit more choice based, to some extent. And honestly, I loved it, considering playing through a second time to get the right choices.

(SPOILER: I knew the guy with the bag on his head wasn't who he said he was, WHY DID I SHOOT HIM!?)

I don't care much for multiplayer anymore, Skyrim taught me that singleplayer is where it's at for most games, no screaming kids, no one cussing at you for killing them in a video game. Overall, I think Treyarch makes great games and is the better company, unlike Infinity Ward. Oh, and does anyone remember this last year?

Robert Bowling: "No more last stand! F*** you last stand!"

*Puts in final stand*

aEaip.jpg

Agent 28, out.

99Problems

And a dragon ain't one.
Never really been a fan of any of the COD games, campaign or multiplayer... I did like zombies in BO1 though.
As for BO2, I've played it for maybe a total of 2 hours (all online miltiplayer) on my roommates profile and really liked it. I got stuck with Hijacked most of the time playing hardcore so havent had the chance to explore ,ore of the maps. I did play zombies though and really enjoyed it.... But then again who doesn't enjoy slaughtering an endless amount of zombies.
Should be getting BO2 for Christmas.... If not, I'm going straight to GameStop and getting a copy. Can't wait. One in the chamber, baby!

Once I have a chance to play through ill post a better review.... This was just my initial thoughts. See yalls out on the field!

Godzillaman 08

The Campaign did keep my interest, and really liked the main villain, I thought he was really good. Also a lot of the moments like the gliding section and the jet flying part where really fun.

The multiplayer I could care less about, Its really boring to me it just and feels like the same multiplayer from other COD games, just with a new coat of paint.

Now zombies mode is what stands out and is probably the best mode the game has to offer. I can't wait for the other maps to become available.

I find Black Ops 2 to be a mix bag, while it is no where close to being the best game of the year, I still found some of the modes to be rather enjoyable.

Howarthee

Qa'Darri - The unknown thief
I agree with the sentiments on the campaign. It was the best COD campaign, in my opinion. I love having the choice to go back and see what would happen if I shot one guy instead of another.

The multiplayer isn't really that great in my opinion. I don't know what it is, but it's a lot harder to play than, say, MW3. I can go from 4 and 20 in Black Ops 2, to the exact opposite in MW3. It's not too fun constantly dying... I love most of the maps in Black Ops 2 though (pretty much only dislike Yemen).

I love the zombies mode so much. I mostly bought the game so I can play zombies with friends, so I'm glad it lived up to my expectations. I love almost anything to do with zombies, so I was excited for my first COD zombies match. :D

I think that this COD blew a lot of the more recent ones out of the water, in all honesty. It has something for pretty much everyone.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

OrexxerO

I enjoyed this game much more then I thought I would. I got it for christmas from my parents and was very close at one point to returning it to get Dishonored instead. But I was very surprised at the overall quality of this game. I did not like Call of Duty World at War, I felt like its graphics were utter crap and that it was a game with the CoD title slapped on it to simply generate money and thats it, with no real love put into the game, the only saving grace for it was Zombie mode, which is a major facet as to why the Treyarch brand of CoD has stayed so strong.

But man, the story in this was great! I felt myself pissed at Menendez at some points and also feeling somewhat sympathetic for him as well...I felt like every character in the game was wronged in different ways, the "good" and "bad" guys. The weapons didn't seem that far-fetched for "futuristic" type of things and I found myself play through the campaign two more times to do things in it differently....something I really hadn't done in any of the others. I am so glad they have finally gotten away from WWII stuff, that whole genre is so worn out....I got sick of them years ago and this game is exactly what I hoped it could be I think.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts