PS3 Bethesda, patch the arrow crafting

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I mean patch the arrow crafting, as in include arrow crafting in the game. There is actually a program in there that allows this already, but on it's own is bugged and doesnt work just like Lydia not being able to be married before.

Anyone thinking that this is a bad idea is an... oh I really want to say it. I hope everyone out there is sensible and doesnt try to argue the contrary of this thread. It doesnt make the game "easier", and its not hard to code (in fact, trivial to fix).

Please bump this thread so thesda can see.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I think it's an awesome idea & I hope it's in a DLC, but you need to contact Bethesda here is their website.....
Bethesda Softworks

As this Forum is not directly connected with Bethesda.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I hope feathers aren't a required part of Arrow crafting... they're pretty darn hard to find, considering how much you would need.

Shafts = Firewood, no prob
Tips = Ingots, no prob as long as you can do many tips per ingot. Daedric arrows may pose a problem considering the rarity of Daedra hearts... unless you're a "Waiter".
Fletching = Feathers, problem.

Takes me like 5-10 arrows just to kill one Hawk in Solitude....

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
There is actually a program in there that allows this already, but on it's own is bugged and doesnt work just like Lydia not being able to be married before.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "program in there" or where you got the idea that it exists but the Skyrim data files have no crafting recipes for arrows so the lack of ability to create them is not a bug and would appear to be by design. There are already mods for it so it would be nice if they implemented it as DLC.

Dagmar

"there is a file inside the Steam/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data for crafting arrows"
Can you make arrows in skyrim? - Yahoo! Answers
That source is incorrect. The Creation Kit can load the contents of the Skyrim .esm file. There is no data for crafting arrows.
I hope feathers aren't a required part of Arrow crafting... they're pretty darn hard to find, considering how much you would need....Takes me like 5-10 arrows just to kill one Hawk in Solitude....
I hope they are a required. It gives more value to an Archer build with Steady Hand perks. I can take down a hawk over Solitude or the East Empire Company Warehouse in 1-3 shots with the perks. They should yield a decent amount of arrows though. Otherwise it wont be worthwhile to fire a few arrows just to get a few more back. While you shouldn't be able to craft a dozen arrows with a single feather, you should be able to harvest more than 3 feathers from a hawk too so it's remedying one unrealistic result with another. :p

Hawk feathers are also common loot on Silver Hands, and they can be found at two respawning locations in the game.

XbSuper

I also hope this is added with a dlc. I have a feeling it may be, as many people, on several forum sites, including bethesdas, have asked for this.

MushroomGenius

Maybe other arrows could be cannibalized to make new ones.

Ah good point, hadn't thought of that.

Hagravens have feathers too.

Maybe have a magical twist to it as well. Instead of enchanting mundane arrows, crafting arrows with hagraven feathers and Fire frost or void salts could give the arrows some elemental effects.

Another good point and idea.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Hagravens have feathers too.

Maybe have a magical twist to it as well. Instead of enchanting mundane arrows, crafting arrows with hagraven feathers and Fire frost or void salts could give the arrows some elemental effects.
Agreed. But I think they said something about enchant-able arrows.

MushroomGenius

Agreed. But I think they said something about enchant-able arrows.

Congrats on 200 posts!

Wouldn't enchantable arrows on top of already enchantable bows be overkill? Sneak attacking with a powerful bow + arrows is already extremely overpowered, this will make it even more out of whack.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Congrats on 200 posts!

Wouldn't enchantable arrows on top of already enchantable bows be overkill? Sneak attacking with a powerful bow + arrows is already extremely overpowered, this will make it even more out of whack.
Thanks for the "congrats".

Yeah I was thinking the same, but what Elder Scrolls doesn't have OP weapon and such?

At least there it is overpowered archery this time. In oblivion there was only OP weapons for warriors that were obvious to find. Dawn/Duskblade, and Umbra. Plus the ebony armor Umbra has.

Dagmar

They're adding enchant-able arrows. They'd be smart to add craft-able arrows also.
Bethesda hasn't released any information about the content of the first DLC. They've been very tight lipped about it and all there is so far on the internet are things like vague tweet posts.

You may be thinking of a video that was posted months ago on the internet showing what Bethesda's Skyrim Development Team produced as mods to the game when they were each tasked by Bethesda to create mods for the game.

I don't think breaking the mechanics of Enchanting by allowing players to forge enchanted items is a good idea. As separate disciplines, forging weapons and armor and enchanting them should stay separate. I'd rather they simply allow different kinds of feathers to be used for fletching and let me decide what enchantment I want to put on my arrows afterwards if they do in fact end up making arrows enchantable.
I also think it's overpowered and uncalled for since Archery is overpowered as it is with players one-shotting enemies.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
Bet
I don't think breaking the mechanics of Enchanting by allowing players to forge enchanted items is a good idea. As separate disciplines, forging weapons and armor and enchanting them should stay separate. I'd rather they simply allow different kinds of feathers to be used for fletching and let me decide what enchantment I want to put on my arrows afterwards if they do in fact end up making arrows enchantable.
I also think it's overpowered and uncalled for since Archery is overpowered as it is with players one-shotting enemies.

It is far from "Breaking" the mechanics. I'm talking small effects that make something more interesting to players that may not have invested in enchanting. Nightshade could be imbued in the arrow for a poisoning effect. It's actually a really cool possibility that would do nothing but add depth to the experience.

The concept of overpowered in this game is laughable. I don't mean to be offensive, but the average gamer does not agree with you. At skill level 100 with at least 50-70 hours invested in a character, You had better be able to craft some sweet stuff.

Dagmar

It is far from "Breaking" the mechanics. I'm talking small effects that make something more interesting to players that may not have invested in enchanting. Nightshade could be imbued in the arrow for a poisoning effect. It's actually a really cool possibility that would do nothing but add depth to the experience.
You can pretend it isn't enchanting by calling it "imbuing" but if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck, it's still a duck. Creating items while simultaneously giving them permanent effects is forging enchanted items. I wasn't inferring that players should be able to do it without the benefits of having invested in Enchanting (which is an even worse idea). I was stating that the mechanics of Enchanting require the use of the Arcane Enchanter while the mechanics of forging weapons and armor require the use of the Forge and it should be kept that way. Melding of the processes into one step is breaking the mechanics whether you acknowledge it or not.
The concept of overpowered in this game is laughable. I don't mean to be offensive, but the average gamer does not agree with you. At skill level 100 with at least 50-70 hours invested in a character, You had better be able to craft some sweet stuff.
By what authority do you speak on behalf of the "average gamer?" Leave the appeals to false authority at the door. These forums, other forums, and player game reviews are filled with commentary and observations about how easy it is to make overpowered builds, how it throws off balance, and how players not only have to play on Master difficulty setting but have to self nerf their builds and playstyles to make the game more challenging.

redrkt

Premium Member
Congrats on 200 posts!

I agree with shroom on this one, and what about when you run out of arrows that you have enchanted? I think having enchanted weapons is enough at the moment.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
You can pretend it isn't enchanting by calling it "imbuing" but if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck, it's still a duck. Creating items while simultaneously giving them permanent effects is forging enchanted items. I wasn't inferring that players should be able to do it without the benefits of having invested in Enchanting (which is an even worse idea). I was stating that the mechanics of Enchanting require the use of the Arcane Enchanter while the mechanics of forging weapons and armor require the use of the Forge and it should be kept that way. Melding of the processes into one step is breaking the mechanics whether you acknowledge it or not.

By what authority do you speak on behalf of the "average gamer?" Leave the appeals to false authority at the door. These forums, other forums, and player game reviews are filled with commentary and observations about how easy it is to make overpowered builds, how it throws off balance, and how players not only have to play on Master difficulty setting but have to self nerf their builds and playstyles to make the game more challenging.

I'm not speaking from any more authority than you do. That is to say I'm talking from the viewpoint of someone who has played this game, and others quite a bit. I have experience with talking to and helping lots of the average playerbase, and quite frankly none of them feel like master difficutly is a necessity, or would scoff at the idea of more options in a game filled with options. I'm not trying to belittle you, but you obviously got offended. Sheesh.

You know that thing called the atronach forge? Smiths daedric armor without investing in smithing. Conjures atronachs without investing in conjuration. Is it a pain to get all the stuff together to do it? Yes. Does it expand the boundaries of player class and give you more options? Yes. Does it provide more roleplay opportunity? Yes. Does it break the game? No, absolutely not.

That's pretty much the direction I was shooting for with the idea of the salts. I'm sorry that you do not like it.