Spoiler Best & Worst Character of Skyrim !

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

feliciano182

Who's the best ? Who's the greatest ? Which character captivated you the most ?

And who was the worst ? The one that annoyed you to end ? The most underdeveloped one ?

The Best:

char_58473.jpg

No matter which type of character I play, I have a natural affinity for The Greybeards, Arngeir specially, and not even my most stern role-playing mood can bring me to hate him, which is incredibly odd, considering I am generally against religion, being an atheist myself.

But there's a lot of mature content that Arngeir communicates which serves as a way to turn the story of the main questline into something really special, the way he considers "doing nothing" to be a perfectly valid choice, the manner in which he says how he has no qualms about the end of the world, his accusations towards The Blades for committing genocide against the dragons, etc.

My best moments in the story were probably with him, and for that, I name him My Best Character of Skyrim.

The Worst:

2hz2ye0.jpg

Let's get some things straight first:

When it comes to design and voicing, Alduin is the most awesome dragon that has ever been created in videogames, his claws, his wings, the scales throughout his body, and the incredibly menacing sound of his voice is nothing but pure, unadultered, success.

Anything else...............Talos preserve us.

I feel that, as a character, he is inmensely underdeveloped, he has no real reason nor deep motivation to wage war on mortals except for his hubris and natural hate, which was perfectly okay back in the 80's and 90's, but honestly, I think audiences have matured enough by now to know that a good villain, a really really good villain, is a little more than just looks and sounds.

For what it's worth, I hope he comes back in a future Elder Scrolls, to kick mortal-kind ass once more, hell, even bringing the end of the world !

Jarrad

I cant really pick a best character, however I really did like Kodlak Whitemane with the whole wanting a "proper" nord afterlife thing, gave him some depth ( albeit not much ).

I truley hated Esbern and Dephine however, they were so damned stubborn, I mean hell I just went through all that crap, killed the World Eater, marched through Soverngard and you still wont cut me a little slack ? To hell with you.

feliciano182

I truley hated Esbern and Dephine however, they were so damned stubborn, I mean hell I just went through all that crap, killed the World Eater, marched through Soverngard and you still wont cut me a little slack ? To hell with you.

Delphine specially may be a little overzealous, but as much as I hate invoking Godwin's Law, imagine if an SS agent had defected to the US during WWII and had given invaluable information to the allies, he would probably be a hero, but do his actions as a defector excuse his crimes ?

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I'm going to try and detach myself from my personal feelings and judge solely on the characters writing.

Best:
Ulfric Stormcloak
Cicero
Elenwen
Maven Black-Briar
Erandur
Delvin Mallory
Serana
Legate Rikke

Worst (because they were underdeveloped/didn't live up to their potential):
Delphine
Esbern
Isran
Karliah
General Tullius (I just felt like their could have been so much more with him)

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!!

Girl you crazy, just' CRAZY :D !
Lol I love Commander Bailey as much as the next person, but I think he was pretty flat, especially compared to Legate Rikke (who I think is Ulfric's equivalent for the Empire).

Jarrad

Delphine specially may be a little overzealous, but as much as I hate invoking Godwin's Law, imagine if an SS agent had defected to the US during WWII and had given invaluable information to the allies, he would probably be a hero, but do his actions as a defector excuse his crimes ?

Oh no, it doesnt excuse his crimes at all, I actually agree with them with regards to Parthurnax having to answer for what he has done, its just the way they go about it, no gratitude at all for saving their lives, no gratitude for bringing them new recruits, just go kill another dragon ( because clearly you havent done enough ) or we wont talk to you anymore.

feliciano182

Lol I love Commander Bailey as much as the next person, but I think he was pretty flat, especially compared to Legate Rikke (who I think is Ulfric's equivalent for the Empire).

Tullius' only issue is that he lacks background, or some sort of origin, which makes it difficult to judge him, specially in comparison to Ulfric which arguably has nothing but background; still, I love Tullius, his pragmatic outlook on the war gets him at odds even with his own soldiers at time, yet he is intelligent, takes no one and nothing for granted, and is a great foil for a player who applies some sort of morality to the imperial questline, like when you ask if it was worth sacrificing people for The Jagged Crow, and he very nicely tells you to f*** off.

Isran on the other hand, (god, love him as well) is a complete psychopath, he respects vampires as enemies to the point that he cannot bring himself to trust his friends without submitting them to paranoid testing (Gunnar and Sorine), even his methods truly make you doubt if you've joined with the right faction.

Pfft ! Obviously a lackey of The Illusive Man would say just as much !

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Ulfric Stormcloak has been my favorite character since the beginning.

I love characters who are morally gray, and Ulfric is definitely that. I personally believe he has Skyrim's best interests at heart, but there are many who believe his motivations are entirely selfish, and since this mystery is never solved within the game, neither side is right or wrong. I've spent hours thinking about, picking apart, and debating this character, and still the best arguments I can come up with are mostly conjecture. And no matter which side you're on, Ulfric has been both a hero and a villain, at different times and to different people. I typically don't care for characters who are totally good or totally evil; they're boring. But Ulfric's ambiguity is incredibly intriguing to me.

I also love his backstory: studying the Way of the Voice with the Greybeards, fighting in the Great War, being tortured as a POW, going off the deep end during the Markarth Incident, suddenly finding himself on the throne of Eastmarch, giving birth to a revolution. He went from being a young boy who wanted a life of peace and solitude and devotion to the Way of the Voice, to a man who's been at war for the better half of the last thirty years. And, as far as we know, he's completely alone in the world. There's no mention of his mother, so I assume she's no longer alive, and we know his father died when Ulfric was in his twenties. Though we never hear of any siblings, I'm convinced he had an older sibling who'd been heir to the throne of Eastmarch but died at some point during or after the war, because I can't see a Jarl letting his only heir run off to High Hrothgar to become a Greybeard. As for a wife and children, again, there's no mention of either, nor does anyone else in all of Skyrim bear the name Stormcloak, so it's safe to say that Ulfric has either never fathered children, or has, and has outlived them. So he's lost both his parents, likely at least one older sibling, and possibly his wife and children. Ulfric strikes me as a deeply lonely person.

So much about Ulfric is tragic, and what can I say? I have a soft spot for tragic characters.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Best Character. Mhuahahahahaha. Its obvious Dark Brotherhood Forever!!!
skyrim__cicero__come___me_bro__by_baltotheshadowhusky-d56u0fj.jpg

Also I found his theme song.
Just imagine him dancing to it :p

Worst: Lorkir "I'm not a rebel you can't do this" of Rorikstead.

250x250x75x0.png

Honestly I know its unfair cause he didn't do anything. But this guy is a disgrace to thieves everywhere. Hell if he waited he would have likely escaped. Instead he pisses and pl*pss his pants [citation needed] and then tries to run not even sprint jog for his life. To die by one arrow... ONE ARROW at level one it takes what 4-5 shots. anyway fl*ff this guy. But yeah I gave this title to a friend but this guy is the real Biggest B*tch in Skyrim.

feliciano182

I love characters who are morally gray, and Ulfric is definitely that. I personally believe he has Skyrim's best interests at heart, but there are many who believe his motivations are entirely selfish, and since this mystery is never solved within the game, neither side is right or wrong.

Weeeeeell, his insistence on "songs" is a little more than telling to say the least ;) !

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I personally like Delphine, Esbern not so much. She comes off to me as a devoted soldier, who obviously has a lot of experience and combat prowess. And the enemy of the Thalmor is my friend.

But my best character is probably Balgruff the Greater, I rather like his "neutral" position on things.

Worst would have to be either Maven Black-Briar, or Jarl Elisif....she seems impressionable to me.

I also feel that General Tullius could have a better story, if I had to choose I would pick Legate Rikke to run things in Skyrim instead of him. I just do not see his genius.

feliciano182

I also feel that General Tullius could have a better story, if I had to choose I would pick Legate Rikke to run things in Skyrim instead of him. I just do not see his genius.

I don't think anybody has claimed he is a genius or anything, only that his views on war are radically different than those of the nords.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Honestly I think when it comes to the personally nordy stuff Tulius relies on Rikke, Hell he straight says at times he doesn't understand the nords but has grown to love Skyrim...
I don't think anybody has claimed he is a genius or anything, only that his views on war are radically different than those of the nords.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I just remember someone, perhaps Hadvar saying something about how his genius is how they captured Ulfric and the Stormcloaks. That is another thing that I would like to know, how did the Empire know they would be there at Darkwater Crossing?

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I like Ulfric and Serana the most, I never side with Ulfric but I love his character.
The worst are the members of the companions, definately the most shallow and rushed storyline, all it is is go to this dungeon and clear it, and repeat.

feliciano182

The worst are the members of the companions, definately the most shallow and rushed storyline, all it is is go to this dungeon and clear it, and repeat.

Aw come on Broseph Thalmor !

Personally, I like how The Companions storyline makes a really good commentary on violence, and how it nurtures itself with the actions of both the just and unjust, no matter what they do, in the end, had Skjor and Aela not continued agressive campaigns on revenge on The Silver Hand, Kodlak might still be alive.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Aw come on Broseph Thalmor !

Personally, I like how The Companions storyline makes a really good commentary on violence, and how it nurtures itself with the actions of both the just and unjust, no matter what they do, in the end, had Skjor and Aela not continued agressive campaigns on revenge on The Silver Hand, Kodlak might still be alive.

Don't you think the characters are really shallow though? I always dread that questline. It doesn't make you care about the characters. It's also very short for a questline.
Every other questline is better, the mages questline is great, thieves guild too has some nice twists and characters, dark brotherhood assassination quests are epic, apart from the generic 1's.
All the companions is, is go to caves and kill silverhand, collect fragments, do the 5 minute quest to kill a weak wolf spirit and your done. The werewolf thing was nice but it could have been improved upon so much, you barely ever speak to kodlak so when his death comes you don't even feel bad about it. He's just another stranger in the questline.

feliciano182

Don't you think the characters are really shallow though? I always dread that questline. It doesn't make you care about the characters. It's also very short for a questline.

It's a little short indeed, and I personally think Aela is a great character, she swims between waters of the unique type of "daedric ambition" to which many characters are inclined in TES while also trying to keep her nord honor intact.

Every other questline is better, the mages questline is great, thieves guild too has some nice twists and characters, dark brotherhood assassination quests are epic, apart from the generic 1's.

I'll agree to almost everyone except The College Of Winterhold, I was greatly dissapointed at the obvious course of the story, aside from Labyrinthian, everything happens as it is expected.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts