• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kind of Hazy

I was going to post this on Rayven's "People who haven't played prior Elder Scrolls titles" (pretty good thread BTW), but did not want to have a complete subject change in the thread.

Skyrim is the first ES game I have played, and I am really enjoying it. From the lore, politics and other back stories I am running into through books and what knots, it seems like I am missing ALOT.

I am thinking of hopping into my way back machine and playing the older titles. For all of you veteran ES players out there...
Are there titles I can skip? (not sure if I could even get the older titles)
In your opinion which is the best ES game?

For me it's Morrowind. Extremely immersive world and awesome story.

Maybe I'm a masochist but I liked the old leveling system (I really miss the old attribute system) and the 'realistic' quests (the NPCs would explain you where to go and what to do in order to get there, but no compass marker for the spot, you had to find it on your own, with the directions given).

Once I'm done with my current Skyrim char, I intend to give Morrowind another go with the graphical overhaul patches

joafae

Well, Skyrim was realeased last month, its a RPG game, won several awards, including several GOTY awards, i would say that not only the best elder scroll game, but also the best RPG game so far and one of the best games ever made (besides the story line).

BabyMickers

Totally sweet
This one for sure. Oblivion was in my top 5 before this came out. The only real problem with it was the leveling system both how you leveled and how the world leveled along with you. Nothing like being mugged by a bandit in full glass gear... If your hungry sell your gloves, buy a house, and settle down.... Sheesh

BIGwooly

If we take into account WHEN the games were released I would say Morrowind was my favorite. As someone else mentioned, the leveling system was great and I loved that quest characters would describe to you how to get somewhere so you could go find it (versus just being lead like a stooge with a marker on the compass). The stats, armor combinations and world economy were all better as well.

What I DO like about Skyrim (aside from the obvious like graphics) is the fact that each of the dungeons feels very unique, better voice acting, better weather effects, better looking magic. I'm actually liking how the skill system works too, although many of the perks are totally over-powered.

Khazrihl

I think that as far as... the best? Probably Morrowind... but this topic can get... very opinionated.

Morrowind is the most complex of them all. (Not sure aside from the older games, never played them.) Morrowind didn't hold your hand as you went through it's multiple quests and striding at your own pace all over the country of Morrowind. Your Journal was your best friend. I wasn't thrilled about the whole 'Agility is your chance to hit' thing... as I swung violently to only hit like one out of every three or four swings... but... it's complexity is what made it a great RPG.

I think Oblivion... yes, despite how... monotone it was... I think Oblivion was the best overall game... they put ... enough... time into it to make it feel like a massive world with all sorts of crap going on. I really liked the storyline overall. Oblivion gates were badass.

Skyrim... oh Skyrim, how you've slate my thirst for epic RPGness.... however... the more I play it I feel like they rushed this game... then other times when I'm strolling through the markets... I meet ALL KINDS of interesting people... some of them I kill (Baddies, of course.) Dragons... dragons are amazing... despite a few glitches in their movement... The first.... I don't know... 50 hours or so... I was STILL terrified of dragon fights. But I reiterate, some parts of the game make me feel like some executive at Bethesda made them rush production of Skyrim.

Tiddleykong

Craft-Master cat man Lae Rashea
Morrowind had by far and beyond the BEST story and setting of the series, and also had the best attribute/leveling system. I feel like the game mechanics of Oblivion had surpassed Morrowind in some ways so it was my favorite as far as gameplay. Skyrim.... is just so G** D*** beautiful and thorough that I can actually play it like I AM the character. For example I find myself actually sitting to talk to people, and playing in third person mode which I never did in any of the other games

Khazrihl

Morrowind had by far and beyong the BEST story and setting of the series. I feel like the game mechanics of Oblivion had surpassed Morrowind in some ways so it was my favorite as far as gameplay. Skyrim.... is just so G** D*** beautiful and thorough that I can actually play it like I AM the character. For example I find myself actually sitting to talk to people, and playing in third person mode which I never did in any of the other games

This guy, exactly what I'm talking about. This whole Radiant Quest system paired with them actually putting a little depth in the lives of the NPCs... makes the game way more immersive.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts