• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
What is the best Conj race? i'm thinking Breton or High Elf.

kyleekay

Breton, hands down. They start with +10 in Conjuration, you get Conjure Familiar right off the bat, and they have the racial ability of 25% magic resistance.

This is what you get with a High Elf:

Skills

This is what you get with a Breton:

Skills

Edit: Plus with a Breton, you have a fair choice between magic/melee for a damage dealer (since Bretons don't favor destruction, 1h, 2h, etc).

I like High Elf for any magic class if you're not going to use enchants to get casting costs down to 0. The extra +50 magic can be a ton of help early on in the game (It's almost like starting a pure mage at level 6). Funnily enough, I like Bretons better for my warrior classes because I get more use out of their magic resistance when I play that style.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Short answer: Doesn't matter.
Long answer: By the time you reach level 20, your starting skill bonuses have been overriden by your playstyle. So, in short, doesn't matter.

Twiffle

Any .. .. .. its upto you what you want to play, im currently playing an extremely sneaky archer with alchemy for back up, and the race im using is an Orc !! , so it doesnt really matter, its what you make of it not the other way around because he is your character, and different races can give interesting back stories if you wanted to, , IMHO

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
ARGONIANS!!! Just kidding, but as others have mentioned, it really does not matter what race you are. You can be a master of Conjuration with any race so long as you put enough effort into it. You can raise the Conjuration skill considerably in a short amount of time through conjuring bound weapons or reanimating corpses.

Kryptic

Breton

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Bretons are best for defensive mages due to +10 conjuration, the familiar spell, 25% magic resist and the absorb spells greater power, I'd go with high elf if your using destruction or another school primarily.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I decided on Breton because I already played High Elf, now i will RP a Breton.

Doesn't the Breton power dragonskin cancel out 50% of conjuration spells when used?
Just Summons, but the durations are both 1 Minute even without Atromancy, so summon first, then pop the Spell Absorbtion. You don't want the Atronach Stone, nor especially the Perk from Alteration, because those aren't at will. Also, it has no effect on Bound Weapons, just Atronachs, Familiars, and Dremora Lord.

Honestly, Conjuration levels so quickly, anybody can pick it up. The starting bonuses are better for slow levelers, like Crafting, which means a lot less mining, and grinding to make it to the same level. And pickpocket, it's almost impossible to level that up from 15 without using a trainer, savescumming, or console. What are your other skills? Conjuration alone won't work in every fight throughout the game (Though it comes close.)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
If you have Dawnguard then Necromancy is quite good. With the summons from Soul Cairn that benefit from Necromancy perks, the Wrathman will end up with more health than the Dremora Lord I believe. Also with the Aetherial crown and Ritual stone you will be able to constantly use the effect by raising up all dead around you, when it ends you just take off the crown and put it back on. This will allow you to raise up a large force, even giants I believe.

Twiffle

Just Summons, but the durations are both 1 Minute even without Atromancy, so summon first, then pop the Spell Absorbtion. You don't want the Atronach Stone, nor especially the Perk from Alteration, because those aren't at will. Also, it has no effect on Bound Weapons, just Atronachs, Familiars, and Dremora Lord.

Honestly, Conjuration levels so quickly, anybody can pick it up. The starting bonuses are better for slow levelers, like Crafting, which means a lot less mining, and grinding to make it to the same level. And pickpocket, it's almost impossible to level that up from 15 without using a trainer, savescumming, or console. What are your other skills? Conjuration alone won't work in every fight throughout the game (Though it comes close.)

This i dont understand, , can someone explain it to me please,

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
This i dont understand, , can someone explain it to me please,

All of the spells which conjure up an atronach or other creature will have a chance of failure if you have any spell absorb effects this includes the atromancy perk in alteration, the atronach stone and the bretons daily power of 50% absorption for 60 secs. This is because they are cast on yourself so you will have a chance to absorb them and they will fail, so atromancy perk and atronach stone are terrible for a summoner.

Twiffle

So a Breton is the worst for a summoner because its 25% resistance means it could fail 1 in 4 times, does that mean the same for Alteration, as that is also magic which is cast upon yourself so a Breton would resist it 25% of the time ?

kyleekay

So a Breton is the worst for a summoner because its 25% resistance means it could fail 1 in 4 times, does that mean the same for Alteration, as that is also magic which is cast upon yourself so a Breton would resist it 25% of the time ?

I think was Psi was saying is that it's fine to summon with a Breton as long as you summon first and then use the Spell Absorb power. Just don't pick up and perks or stones related to summoning, since those are always in effect (and you can't control when they are being used).

Twiffle

Hold on a moment here, either the protection from magic is permanent or not, so the 25% racial protection from magic is in force, im not talking about stones or perks, just the racial ability, so therefore it must be protecting the breton from spells cast on himself, such as atronachs as mentioned, so it must also be the same for Alteration,(flesh armor) as that is also cast upon yourself, !!

kyleekay

I don't think Psi was referring to their inherent resistance. They were talking about Dragonskin, which is the power that absorbs magicka, which can only be used 1x per day.

Twiffle

Ah i see, still seems to be in conflict with its description to me , IMHO

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts