• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Brewman

Do I look worried?
Could someone explain the benefits of going legendary on a skill, trying to decide if I should do it to my smithing skill or not
thanx

Annageckos

It will give back any perk points you have put into the skill and then you can level that skill again up to 100. You will be able to level higher and get more perk points. I have made alchemy and smithing legendary a few times so I keep getting more perk points to spend.

Brewman

Do I look worried?
That's cool I guess its worth it to go for it then.
thanx guys! I get nervous anytime I'm asked if I'm sure I want to do something lol

Annageckos

You can always make a save right before making a skill legendary. That way if you don't like it or change your mind you can just reload. That's what I did, but everything worked fine. I also made a ton of potions I knew I would need and then worked on getting my alchemy back up to 100. I did the same thing with smithing. Upgraded everything I thought I needed and made a ton of dragon bone arrows. Now I'm working on raising my smithing and alchemy back up, again.

Brewman

Do I look worried?
You can always make a save right before making a skill legendary. That way if you don't like it or change your mind you can just reload. That's what I did, but everything worked fine. I also made a ton of potions I knew I would need and then worked on getting my alchemy back up to 100. I did the same thing with smithing. Upgraded everything I thought I needed and made a ton of dragon bone arrows. Now I'm working on raising my smithing and alchemy back up, again.
Wow! you must be light years ahead of me lol on this! appreciate the advice, always looking for the best ways to advance!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Just remember that BEFORE you make a skill legendary, that you have stocked up on everything you will need, as you will not have the skills to do so after a skill becomes legendary. Not for a while at least, until you build it up again. For example, smithing: dragonbone weapons, or armour if you are that way inclined. Don't be caught under equipped.

Brewman

Do I look worried?
Its probably a dumb question but whats the best way to use the perk points you get back?

Straumgald

I had all my skills at 100 on my main, so I went legendary on all the skills except the ones I actually used when I leveled my character. Plus smithing since I already had the gear I needed. Put the points in whatever, hell do speech and try to hit 100,000,000 septims.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I don't think I've ever made any skill legendary. It's just not worth it imo. If there was some actual advantage to it, like, say, you'd get a 10% boost to said skill or something then maybe.

Annageckos

It is worth it if you want more perk points without grinding skills you don't need or want. Like I use light armor and one handed/archery. I don't want to have to use heavy armor and one handed. I've been getting into magic (I'm around level 50/55 or so) and I want to put perks into some of the magic schools, but at these levels it takes for ever to level. So I make some skills legendary and get more perk points.

Nighthiker77

Magic schools are very easy to level again because you still have your high level spells and your magica pool.

You can use casting cost reduction gear you didn't have the first time also.

Illusion and alteration are both easy, with Harmony and detect life in a highly populated area like Whiterun between the market and Gildergreen.

I haven't tried restoration, destruction, or conjuration.

They would still level a lot faster than 1h, 2h, archery, block or armor though I a pretty sure, except maybe destruction.

Annageckos

I guess that depends how you play. It takes me forever to level most of the magic schools. My speech is almost 100, light armor and one handed is close to 100. I don't want to deal with heavy armor or two handed. I used block early on, not sure where it is at now. For me it is much easier to level smithing and alchemy. Alchemy can be leveled in about 10 minutes if I put my mind to it without exploits. With the restoration exploit I leveled alchemy in a minute or two. It's a matter of trying different things and seeing what works best for you.

Nighthiker77

With Harmony in the right place, you can go from 15 to 100 in a few minutes.

With Detect life and Telekinesis, it takes maybe 5 minutes.

Getting to 100 the first time, I like to use detect dead in dungeons. That's actually productive and it levels pretty fast.

Annageckos

I have yet to find any of those spells. In fact I have never even seen the harmony or telekinesis in all my games. I haven't been big on magic I just started getting into a bit now. But if that works for you great, I have used muffle to up my illusion. Then I end up forgetting about it for a while.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I have yet to find any of those spells. In fact I have never even seen the harmony or telekinesis in all my games. I haven't been big on magic I just started getting into a bit now. But if that works for you great, I have used muffle to up my illusion. Then I end up forgetting about it for a while.

Telekinesis can be bought from Tolfdir at the College. It's an Adept level spell, so I think you need to be at least level 40 in Alteration to buy it.

Harmony, on the other hand, is a Master level spell, so you need level 90 in Illusion (the Elder Scrolls wiki says level 100, but at least Destruction and Conjuration quests can be started at level 90, so I'm assuming this is also the case for Illusion). Then, you need to do a quest called "illusion ritual spell" for Drevis Neloren at the College for Harmony to become available.

Nighthiker77

I usually have alteration close to 50 shortly after getting Transmute from Halted stream Camp. Detect Life is also Adept. Detect Dead is expert.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Also, If you use a skill that's at 100, you don't get any benefit from it in terms of leveling up. If leveling up is what you're interested in, you would no longer use a skill that's at 100. That's a good reason to reset something like smithing. I do like to keep at least one combat skill at 100 in case of "emergency". The alternative to Legendary is to use the Waking Dreams book you get when you defeat Miraak (Dragonborn), which allows you to take the perk points without losing your 100 status, and put them elsewhere, at the cost of one dragon soul.

Straumgald

I find that heavy/light armor and block are the easiest to level back up. Legendary them, go to a giant camp, change difficulty to novice, and piss of a giant. Put an elastic on the block button, or w/e you have to do on PC. Go do some dishes or something, come back in 15 mins, back to 100 in each.

TJ0331

Nords forever
I for one like to keep leveling up so I can keep getting health points.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts