• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mathiark

Hardy Wood Elf
Every time I come across one of these buggers they kill me in like 2 swings finishing me off with a thematic kill. WHY ARE THEY LIKE GODS? It gets annoying. Anyone else experience this?

tvJefe

What level are you? What type of character? What difficulty are you playing on?

BruinTheLegend

The ice form shout comes in handy against these guys or even just the Unrelenting Force shout, don't really have much trouble with any characters now, level 45, dual dragonbone swords kills everything bar dragons in less than 5 hits...

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Their called bandit chiefs for a reason. Their suppose to be the strongest among the bandit ranks. I would try to use the fus ro dah shout at them to keep them away from you while you blast them with your spells, if you're a mage that is.

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
On Master Difficulty they're insanely hard to kill, It's almost impossible to kill them while using melee, the best bet to really kill one is with the Ice Form Shout. It allows you to whack at them for awhile without getting boned in the ass with a two-hander

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
But not everyone uses shouts. I never do. I don't like them. So other methods would have to be explored. :) One thing is that you might have raised up your non combat skills faster than your combat skills. Meaning the enemy will be stronger and better than you. Enchanted weapons and armor will help (the better the armor/weap/enchantment the better you'll fare). If you are getting smashed try using archery or magic. Bring a follower to help fight. Or try to level up your combat skills a bit more to even the odds.

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
If you're having trouble on Master difficulty, or any difficulty higher than Apprentice tone it down a notch or two.

Tyrone

Just wait till you hit the Falmer Shadowmasters...

Or the Dwarven Centurion Masters, spent an hour trying to kill one when my dovahkiin was a wee noob.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
If you feel like you need to keep your distance, having either the Power Shot or Impact perks can help slow them down. Like most people here I recommend frost damage (either enchanted or spells) since draining their stamina is gonna save you from taking a power shot. A Slow or Paralyze poison would help too.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
A few strategies I've used are:

Mage: I've found using frost spells to slow them down, then blasting them with fireballs makes life much easier. Using the frost spells deplete the Chiefs stamina, so two handed power attacks become less of a problem, and fireballs do pretty good damage for a low magika cost.

One handed/shield: Have a shield to counter any attacks, and at the same time wack them with power one hand attacks. This depends a lot on your stamina/health/armour rating though. - Don't try and fight close combat wearing light armour, try using heavy armour.

Archery/Shouts: Use the ice shout, then pelt them with ebony/daedric arrows, this is especially effective if your bows have a decent enchantment.

Neriad13

Premium Member
My low-level Orsimer warrior/archer/alchemist recently had a great fight with a bandit chief on Expert difficulty. I had to try four or five times until I got my timing exactly right to kill this guy without using magic or shouts. First, I put some poison on my highest-quality arrows, then drank a potion of fortify marksmanship, snuck up behind him (in heavy armor no less), shot him with a few arrows and when he came running at me, whipped out my shield and blocked for my life. Faendal and I managed to stay alive through the rest of the fight, successfully killing him, though it did take some health and stamina potions. When he was dead at my feet, it really felt like an accomplishment. Never turn down your chosen difficulty! The real fun's in using your brain to figure out a way around the toughest obstacles.

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
Or the Dwarven Centurion Masters, spent an hour trying to kill one when my dovahkiin was a wee noob.
Or fight a Legendary Dragon.........holy fluff was that hard.... Right outside the area for the Moth Priest quest in Dawnguard, a Legendary Dragon flew down and attacked me, one bite put me to a sliver of health, and I'm at 630 with no gear on, 1020 with my full Dragonplate on. I had 30 after his bite.....

Lots of running, lots of arrows...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts