• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cosmic Storm

Whoosh.
So I've submerged myself in Jarl Balgruuf's character lately and I've surfaced with mixed results.

On one hand, he keeps what is probably the best, or perhaps the smartest, position on the war, which is neutral. He refuses to aid in the capture of Odahviing until the war cannot threaten Whiterun during the dragon's imprisonment. He seems like a decent enough Jarl, though he exhibits a rather vicious, often unwarranted temper on more than one occasion. His city has no blatant issues, other than the Thieves Guild (after the quest "Imitation Amnesty") and the banning of the Khajiit (which is prevalent in all cities).

Then you have the other side of Balgruuf, or the "Badgruuf" as I so eloquently call it. I, along with others on this very forum I have seen express the same view, feel that his bestowing of the title of Thane on the Dragonborn is fairly opportunistic. He/she was not the only one to combat Mirmulnir during "Dragon Rising". Could he not have given it to the guards (that survived)? Or Irileth? When you think about it, what does he know about the Dragonborn, other than the fact that he/she is a legendary superhuman? The other jarls require him/her to become well known throughout their respective holds. To prove his/her worth. Why doesn't Balgruuf? Is the Dragonborn a collector's item to aquire before everyone else?

What do you think of Jarl Balgruuf the Greater?

feliciano182

I think he's the best goddamn Jarl in all of Skyrim, and if it is true that a "War With The Thalmor" DLC is coming, and that we need to pick a new High King of Skyrim, then you can bet your goddamn testicles I'm voting for Balgruuf The Greater.

PEACE !!!

*throws microphone away*

Falmer19

I think he's pretty good, maybe even one of the best. Just his kids are tools so that lessens my view of him

KD.

I, also, have mixed feelings about Jarl Balgruuf. He's the first Jarl you meet, so that has always made me kind of partial to him. I guess I'm just easily star-struck.

But it does irritate me that he seems to use the title of Thane to get in the Dragonborn's good graces. And on top of that, as soon as you get to Whiterun after Helgen and inform of the dragon attack, there's no "Oh my! You survived a dragon attack! Come rest and enjoy the hospitality of my hold." It's "Well, thanks. But you know my douchey court mage could really use some help finding something in a deadly barrow." Some thanks.

On the other hand, you did help (not single-handedly) save his city from a dragon. Seems pretty worthy of a Thane title to me.

feliciano182

But it does irritate me that he seems to use the title of Thane to get in the Dragonborn's good graces.

???

He's giving you an honorary title which allows you to own property and raise your status as a citizen within his hold, he's not kissing your ass, he's thanking you.

And on top of that, as soon as you get to Whiterun after Helgen and inform of the dragon attack, there's no "Oh my! You survived a dragon attack! Come rest and enjoy the hospitality of my hold." It's "Well, thanks. But you know my douchey court mage could really use some help finding something in a deadly barrow." Some thanks.

He's asking you for help in the matter of the dragons, which is precisely what his court mage is investigating, he believes you're up to the task, and he's willing to offer you a reward.

I mean, jeez, if this what you think of Balgruuf you must think Ulfric is the goddamn anti-christ.

Moris

???

I mean, jeez, if this what you think of Balgruuf you must think Ulfric is the goddamn anti-christ.

LMAO. Actually, based on these forums, I kinda thought maybe he was....

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
He's giving you an honorary title which allows you to own property.
You don't need to be a Thane to own property. Aside from the fact that would mean everyone who owns a home in the game would be a Thane, you can get most of the player houses in Capital Cities without becoming Thane. In fact you have to get them first to become Thane in certain of the Holds.

feliciano182

You don't need to be a Thane to own property. Aside from the fact that would mean everyone who owns a home in the game would be a Thane, you can get most of the player houses in Capital Cities without becoming Thane. In fact you have to get them first to become Thane in certain of the Holds.

WHY YOU................okay :rolleyes: !

In any case, Balgruuf is pretty serviceable if you help him with the dragon attacking the hold, nothing about him makes it sound like he's being condescending or ungrateful.

KD.

???

He's giving you an honorary title which allows you to own property and raise your status as a citizen within his hold, he's not kissing your ass, he's thanking you.

Like I said, mixed feelings. Sometimes it feels like he's thanking me. And sometimes, like the OP said, I feel like he's being opportunistic and trying to claim the dragonborn for himself. I guess it all depends how you look at it.

And besides if he really wanted to thank me, he could just give me the damn house. :p

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I'm indifferent to Balgruuf. I don't think he's as good as a lot of people think (like I don't think he should be High King), but there are also quite a few Jarls worse than him. He also kind of failed at teaching his kids manners.

feliciano182

I'm indifferent to Balgruuf. I don't think he's as good as a lot of people think (like I don't think he should be High King), but there are also quite a few Jarls worse than him. He also kind of failed at teaching his kids manners.

I expected no less from The Illusive Man's skeptics ;)

I will mention though, I found it hilarious at Battle For Whiterun how he openly dismissed the capacity of Imperial troops to defend his city, only to be verbally backhanded by Legate Cipius instantaneously, that was one of the best moments I've had in Skyrim, and I'd support electing Balgruuf for High King.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I expected no less from The Illusive Man's skeptics ;)

I will mention though, I found it hilarious at Battle For Whiterun how he openly dismissed the capacity of Imperial troops to defend his city, only to be verbally backhanded by Legate Cipius instantaneously, that was one of the best moments I've had in Skyrim, and I'd support electing Balgruuf for High King.
Wait, skeptic? I fully support the Illusive Man lol.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I've always liked Balgruuf the Greater and have never noticed anything condescending or exploitative about him. I think he genuinely cares about the people of his hold (at least those in Whiterun, anyway), has their best interest at heart, is stern yet compassionate, and has a good conscience. In my opinion, one would be hard-pressed to find a better Jarl in all of Skyrim.

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
Whiterun is my city. Balgruuf is my Yarl. I am his Thane, until the end. And if we do get more choices for High King, other than Ulfric or Elisef, then Balgruuf has my support.

Moris

My current character likes Balgruuf because even though all she did for him was tell him about a dragon he was already totally aware of, he lets her sleep in his very comfy Jarl sized bed and eat his food.

Yeah, his kids are annoying. But what's the story behind their mother(s)? Could there be some terrible trauma hidden there? I don't like to judge. Besides almost all the kids in Skyrim are annoying, particularly the ones that get their parents killed because they like to run around in a panic, screaming, "Why are they hurting each other?" instead of going inside when a dragon attacks.

KC95

I like Balgruuf, a lot! He is also my favorite Jarl (despite the crappy house that is given to you). But I actually disagree on his position on the war. While its best to be balanced/neutral most times, with how things were escalating he should have picked a side. No one likes a fence sitter. Its a large part of why Balgruuf's hold kicks off the civil war and falls (depending on the side the player picks). Had he already taken a stance, his hold could have been better prepared for an invasion and might have thwarted the civil war altogether.

feliciano182

Had he already taken a stance, his hold could have been better prepared for an invasion and might have thwarted the civil war altogether.

Highly unlikely.

If anything, it's admirable he stood by his people and was committed to his duty until the very end, that's inmensely much more than one can say about any other Jarl.

Wildroses

My current character likes Balgruuf because even though all she did for him was tell him about a dragon he was already totally aware of, he lets her sleep in his very comfy Jarl sized bed and eat his food.

Balgruuf lets a woman he's not married to sleep in his Jarl sized bed?

Well, I guess the Jarl is having an extra-marital affair. That should be a point for the side who don't like him.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
To me Balgruuf seems like the only jarl that isn't corrupt or delusions.