• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Ok, I can admit when I need Help. I suck at Alchemy, I hate running around in search of Ingredients, and looking for tables, there's not even a Mortar, and Pestle so you can craft on the go. I want to try everything, though, so for my last build, I'm going to try to Roleplay a character around it.

I do know that there are some useful effects. It's the only way to Fortify Destruction Damage, so that will probably be my primary damage dealer. I plan to also use Pickpocket (another one I hate) to deliver poisons like Fear, Rage, Paralysis and Damage over Time effects. This means Sneak, of course, and a Dagger should be a decent backup for when my Magicka runs down, and I want to Backstab someone instead. Illusion is unneeded, because all the good effects have Potions for them. Invisibility in addition to the ones listed above, there's no Muffle one, but that can be handled with Sneak. I'll probably also need Alteration, as I will be Unarmored.

So, while it may, or may not be my primary skill, Alchemy is to be the Character's Raison d'être, finding ingredients, and mixing potions to help him in hir adventures. (Still haven't decided on Gender.) I have the Race narrowed down to Dunmer, or Bosmer. The former for Magic assistance, Alteration, and Destruction, especially, while the latter have better Weapon skills, 1 handed, and Archery, of course. Also, Poison Resistance, though no Magical ability whatsoever. Since s/he will mostly be out in the wilds, the Charm Animal effect may also be of use.

My questions are: What are some good Recepies, where do I find important ingredients, and other things like Miuri's Ring? I plan to do the DBH, but my primary location will probably be Broken Fang Cave, because it has the crafting tables I need, storage, and a central location. I know about the Alchemist's Shack, but it's in an isolated corner of the Rift, so I'll probably raid it, and use it as a local base, but not my Home.

I think the most important will be where to forage, because of the quality, and density of ingredients, or high respawn rates. I can look up my own lists, but what I could use are the little pro-tips, and tricks I never would have thought of, or would take forever to stumble across on my own because I have no experience at it. Alchemy is unlike the other skills, in that the stuff you need is scattered across Tamriel, so I'm going to be searching randomly until I learn. Any advice that would help early on would be appreciated.

xsneakyxsimx

Hmm, bugger. Don't think I can help on that front. I guess keep an eagle eye out whenever you travel is the best advise I could give.

jRi0T68

It depends on what you're looking for. I recall a good amount of Deathbells at the Blue Palace, Snowberries are plentiful along almost any snowy path, but Dawnstar is a good place to look. Creep Cluster can be found by the dozens in the hot springs area south of Kynesgrove. The rock along the path between Whiterun and the western tower always has Blue/Butterflies, as does a spot by Honningbrew Meadery.

The thread mentioned above was called something like "Learn full alchemy affects from 56 potions", but 56 is the number in the thread title.

If you can list the potions you'll be making the most and/or their ingredients, it might jar something else in my brain.

It depends on what you're looking for. I recall a good amount of Deathbells at the Blue Palace, Snowberries are plentiful along almost any snowy path, but Dawnstar is a good place to look. Creep Cluster can be found by the dozens in the hot springs area south of Kynesgrove. The rock along the path between Whiterun and the western tower always has Blue/Butterflies, as does a spot by Honningbrew Meadery.

The thread mentioned above was called something like "Learn full alchemy affects from 56 potions", but 56 is the number in the thread title.

If you can list the potions you'll be making the most and/or their ingredients, it might jar something else in my brain.
Nah, so far I've got a whole bunch of thistle branch, and Mora mushrooms, I like those! Thanks for the locations, I'll get around to those eventually. Until then, I'm making my way to Broken Fang for some Vampire Dust, and a base of operations. (So far, the only 2 ingredient's I've used with any regularity are vampire Dust, and hawk Feathers.) I'm giving serious thought to running the Proving Honor quest just for the ingredients! Lord knows, a Skyforge Dagger wouldn't hurt (Me) either.

jRi0T68

Almost any Falmer ridden location has glowing mushroom, too.

Since you seem to be in Alchemy for RP rather than skill leveling/crafting or profit, it changes a bit on what the best potions are.

I know Damage Stamina can be made from wheat, juniper berries, skeever tail, and many others.

Wheat can usually be gotten from farms. Just harvest it yourself, though in an rp sense, it may feel like stealing.

Almost any Falmer ridden location has glowing mushroom, too.

Since you seem to be in Alchemy for RP rather than skill leveling/crafting or profit, it changes a bit on what the best potions are.

I know Damage Stamina can be made from wheat, juniper berries, skeever tail, and many others.

Wheat can usually be gotten from farms. Just harvest it yourself, though in an rp sense, it may feel like stealing.
I'm not having much trouble with Damage Stamina at the moment. I've still got 5 Spider Eggs from the Helgen escape tunnel, and it's turning out to be a rather common effect. Right now, I'm looking at Magicka recovery to go with my basketful of Mushrooms. Yeah, for RP, I'm kind of going with the concept of knowing the ingredients she actually uses for recepies she likes. Damage Stamina isn't all that hot, especially with Frostbite Venom so plentiful, but thanks for the heads up.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
I've played two characters all the way up 100 Alchemy on the 360. :D

The best combinations IIMO are Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower/Deathbell + Salt. All are extremely common ingredients and allow you to make stupid profits. For example, at Lv100 with all the perks, my BBW/BMF combination makes a Poison of Damage Magicka Regen which is worth 900-1200, depending on gear. The latter makes a Poison of Slow which is worth a similar amount.

If you have Hearthfire, there's an even easier way of doing things. Get some Canis Root (near the Riften lake), Swamp Fungal Pods (Hjaalmarch swamp) and Imp Stool before planting them in your Greenhouse/Garden. With the Green Thumb perk, which allows for double harvests, I was getting 40-60 per item per two days, and, since all three share the Paralysis effect, they'd allow me to make a good 50 or so Paralysis poisons, all worth 1000 or so each. That's 50,000 gold...per two days. Pretty crazy stuff. Naturally I just ended up with more than I could be bothered to sell. o_O

Incidentally, the best layout for an Alchemist/Merchant is Greenhouse/Alchemy Tower/Library. Fitting both RP wise and gameplay wise.

I've played two characters all the way up 100 Alchemy on the 360. :D

The best combinations IIMO are Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower/Deathbell + Salt. All are extremely common ingredients and allow you to make stupid profits. For example, at Lv100 with all the perks, my BBW/BMF combination makes a Poison of Damage Magicka Regen which is worth 900-1200, depending on gear. The latter makes a Poison of Slow which is worth a similar amount.

If you have Hearthfire, there's an even easier way of doing things. Get some Canis Root (near the Riften lake), Swamp Fungal Pods (Hjaalmarch swamp) and Imp Stool before planting them in your Greenhouse/Garden. With the Green Thumb perk, which allows for double harvests, I was getting 40-60 per item per two days, and, since all three share the Paralysis effect, they'd allow me to make a good 50 or so Paralysis poisons, all worth 1000 or so each. That's 50,000 gold...per two days. Pretty crazy stuff. Naturally I just ended up with more than I could be bothered to sell. o_O

Incidentally, the best layout for an Alchemist/Merchant is Greenhouse/Alchemy Tower/Library. Fitting both RP wise and gameplay wise.
While I'm not Profit motivated, much (It takes money to do this, I'm aware.) thanks so much for the Paralysis Potion recipe! That's one of the effects I plan to abuse, because this is not a Combat oriented character. Some nice nightnight juice on my Dagger ought to give me an edge on those pesky Sabercats, though.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
If you go to Hallidir's Cain, a cave somewhere near Falkreath, you can easily get 15-20 Imp Stools off the bet, without the doubling perk. You also get a ridiculous amount of other mushrooms, like Fly Amanatia (Frenzy, combines with Troll Fat), White Caps and Bleeding Crowns. That's a good place to start.

Although you said you're not going to be combat orientated, be sure to bring two daggers with you at all time. When you get the perk that makes poisons last twice as long, you don't want to end up wasting that second use - have a dagger in your left hand solely to paralyze them, for example, and use the one in your right to do damage. When they get up, swing with the left again and repeat.

If you're looking for immersion ideas, I've also got a few of those to offer - both of my characters were non-combat ones and strictly leveled Alchemy/Sneak/Speech etc. Naturally some of these are a bit too RPish for some people, but anyhow...

*Wear a pair of ordinary leather gloves at all times. Most of those plants are poisonous and you wouldn't watch to expose your skin to them.

*Carry a bow at all times, along with a few arrows. This allows you to distract enemies in dungeons before sneaking past, shoot down hawks for their feathers/beaks (both great) and shoot down beehives.

*Carry a dagger in your right hand all the time. When harvesting a plant, unsheathe the dagger, hold block over the plant and harvest - it makes it look like you're using the dagger to chop off the plants, which is handy for the more dangerous ones.

*Once you have the merchant perk, make certain potions for certain vendors and pretend to take orders from them. For example, make a few blacksmithing poitions for Adrienne, and, if Belethor asks for a Potion of Haggling, go harvest/make one. Pickpocket more gold from them if you want to pretend they're tipping you.

*Don't use the Thief Stone. Ever. Although Alchemy is slow in the beginning, the later levels fly by - on my second alchemist, I got from 84-100 in a single day. It ruins the immersion, a master apothecary wouldn't be able to reach master-level skills in a couple of in-game weeks. :eek:

If you go to Hallidir's Cain, a cave somewhere near Falkreath, you can easily get 15-20 Imp Stools off the bet, without the doubling perk. You also get a ridiculous amount of other mushrooms, like Fly Amanatia (Frenzy, combines with Troll Fat), White Caps and Bleeding Crowns. That's a good place to start.
Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!
Although you said you're not going to be combat orientated, be sure to bring two daggers with you at all time. When you get the perk that makes poisons last twice as long, you don't want to end up wasting that second use - have a dagger in your left hand solely to paralyze them, for example, and use the one in your right to do damage. When they get up, swing with the left again and repeat.
Reminds me of the Harkonnen slave pits. The left hand dagger carries the poison! I just took a lunch break, but I'm specifically looking into Paralysys+Lingering poison so I can stick-em, and run.
*Wear a pair of ordinary leather gloves at all times. Most of those plants are poisonous and you wouldn't watch to expose your skin to them.
Already doing that, I do have some experience working in Laboratory environments. Too bad I can't get a Lab Coat. ;)
*Carry a dagger in your right hand all the time. When harvesting a plant, unsheathe the dagger, hold block over the plant and harvest - it makes it look like you're using the dagger to chop off the plants, which is handy for the more dangerous ones
Very cool.
Don't use the Thief Stone. Ever. Although Alchemy is slow in the beginning, the later levels fly by - on my second alchemist, I got from 84-100 in a single day. It ruins the immersion, a master apothecary wouldn't be able to reach master-level skills in a couple of in-game weeks. :eek:
Actually on the Mage right now, to quick level Alteration. I just cleared my hideout of the Vampires, and was planning a trip to the Rift, but now that you mention it, I might go for Falkreath first. Sounds like you have exactly the idea I was going for, good show!

jRi0T68

Hearthfire and growing your own ingredients sounds like it could fit well into an rp. If I was an alchemist irl, I'd grow own, unless your rp is more nomadic.

ZOMFG, Whiteriver Watch. You like Imp's Stool? (Me too that stuff roolz) you got piles of it. Great location, Alchemy station, and 2 exits, it's pretty much perfect!

AS88

Staff member
Whiteriver Watch is a great idea for a location! I'm not sure what platform you play on, but camping mods may be very useful to you, if they're available, and depending how deeply you're RPing.

A permanent base may be a priority, but to have a wide variety of poisons and potions, and to gain XP, you should do lots of travelling. One area in particular in which you should spend some time is the swamps north of Morthal. Swamp Fungal Pods, Imp Stool and Canis Root are three ingredients which create Paralysis poisons, which you could find very useful. You'll also find plenty of Deathbell, and maybe some River Betty which together create a poison of Slow and Damage Health. At higher levels, you will find Chaurus in this area, their eggs mixed with Nirnroot, Vampire Dust or Ice Wraith Teeth will create Invisibility potions.

Hope this helps! :)

Whiteriver Watch is a great idea for a location! I'm not sure what platform you play on, but camping mods may be very useful to you, if they're available, and depending how deeply you're RPing.

A permanent base may be a priority, but to have a wide variety of poisons and potions, and to gain XP, you should do lots of travelling. One area in particular in which you should spend some time is the swamps north of Morthal. Swamp Fungal Pods, Imp Stool and Canis Root are three ingredients which create Paralysis poisons, which you could find very useful. You'll also find plenty of Deathbell, and maybe some River Betty which together create a poison of Slow and Damage Health. At higher levels, you will find Chaurus in this area, their eggs mixed with Nirnroot, Vampire Dust or Ice Wraith Teeth will create Invisibility potions.

Hope this helps! :)
Very much! I knew about the northern swamps of Hjalmarsh, but I'm taking it in increments. Right now, it's mostly Mushrooms around Ivarsted, slowly working my way down to the shack, and so forth. I know where to get some Vampire Dust on the southern pass back to Helgen from there...

I'm not looking for a permanent base, this obviously requires a nomadic lifestyle togather ingredients after you've picked a given area clean, but there should be convenient spots like Whiteriver Watch with Ingredients, and the station, as well as forage in the area. Unfortunately, while it's convenient as always (I've used it for Enchanting) Broken Fang sucks because there's not much around, except for Antlers, which don't drop reliably. However, there's piles of deer, and elk all around there, so it's a good hunter's spot, along with Redoran's Retreat...

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
Very much! I knew about the northern swamps of Hjalmarsh, but I'm taking it in increments. Right now, it's mostly Mushrooms around Ivarsted, slowly working my way down to the shack, and so forth. I know where to get some Vampire Dust on the southern pass back to Helgen from there...

I'm not looking for a permanent base, this obviously requires a nomadic lifestyle togather ingredients after you've picked a given area clean, but there should be convenient spots like Whiteriver Watch with Ingredients, and the station, as well as forage in the area. Unfortunately, while it's convenient as always (I've used it for Enchanting) Broken Fang sucks because there's not much around, except for Antlers, which don't drop reliably. However, there's piles of deer, and elk all around there, so it's a good hunter's spot, along with Redoran's Retreat...

It's a bit rubbish, but camping can be simulated on the console. Get a saber cat pelt (others work too), a bunch of straw, firewood and an iron pain/any other utensils you'd need on a camping trip. Put down the fur for the bed, put straw around/on the fur and put the iron pot just a short distance away. Put some firewood down before putting the pot down. Put the pot on the firewood. Light the fire with Flames (if you're non-magic, just pretend it's a fire source) and it'll 'catch' on fire for a few seconds. Whilst it's still on fire, wait for an hour to simulate cooking. You can either keep the cooked food in your invent and pretend it was in the pot all along or actually put it in the pot, but that requires precision placement which is difficult on the console. Eat food. Move onto fur. 'Lie down' (go into sneak and tilt the camera to face the sky) and wait again to simulate sleeping.

Wake up, pack up, move on, repeat. :D

Well, I took a side trip out to Treva's Watch. A little out of character, but I followed the river for Nirnroot, and what with all the cold water, needed somewhere to Rest. Anyway, Detect LLife saved mine on the way back. There's a spot on the southern edge of the Rift where there's a sabercat, and bear. Thanks to picking up that little spell (I wouldn't have been there in the first place if I hadn't, but I did get some good stuff out of it.) I saw them first. A couple Frenzy poisons, and a safe spot up the hill netted me my first Eye of the Saber Cat. Ok, it cost me the Troll Fat I spent all my Frostbite Venom getting on the road to Ivarsted, but that was freshly mixed in with Damage health, and Lingering Poison, so the Bear lost. I think I'm getting the hang of this!

Ok, it's fun. I admit it, so get off my case. So, nobody was making fun of me for avoiding Alchemy like the plague for over a year? I still feel a little guilty.

New Recipes:

Vampire Dust, Luna Moth Wing. Invisibility, and Regeneration. Nice little getaway cure when I'm getting hammered.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts