Spoiler Annoyed with Brynjolf

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

kyleekay

So Elyzona was chugging along on the main quest, and had finally met up with Delphine, etc, etc. Ely was told to go speak with Brynjolf to find the old dude in the Ratways; easy-peasy, right?

Not so much.

I was coerced into planting Madesi's ring on Brand-Shei (sp?) just to get information out of this man. My character isn't a goody good, but she wasn't really comfortable with doing it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't understand why you'd be forced to commit a crime just to continue on the main quest. I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever create a truly "good" character.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
So Elyzona was chugging along on the main quest, and had finally met up with Delphine, etc, etc. Ely was told to go speak with Brynjolf to find the old dude in the Ratways; easy-peasy, right?

Not so much.

I was coerced into planting Madesi's ring on Brand-Shei (sp?) just to get information out of this man. My character isn't a goody good, but she wasn't really comfortable with doing it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't understand why you'd be forced to commit a crime just to continue on the main quest. I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever create a truly "good" character.

You can fail it and get caught, just get a bounty when you get the ring and get arrested. Still will pass. That way the Dunmer can remain at his stall.

kyleekay

Ah, good point. Though it still poses a morality problem for "good" characters. Just seems strange that Bethesda would force that onto people, knowing full well that some people RP in a way that doesn't allow for crime to happen.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
I had the same reaction. I did some reading online and found that there are ways around it. Talking to the Innkeeper instead of Brynjolf is one of them. It's just poor thinking on Bethesda's part, which should have been fixed already.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.

Not so much.

I was playing my good character last week and done that quest, my character is a warrior/jesus build so obviously I didn't want to help that scumbag Brynjolf. i refused and went straight to esbern, u dont have to speak to anyone or do anything u just go direct to him.

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
You can just go straight to Esbern... You don't have to talk to anyone.

AS88

Staff member
You can just go straight to Esbern... You don't have to talk to anyone.

^ This. Although I didn't know it first time, and did the same as you. Just call it "character building" :p

Invader Vin

As others have pointed out, there are other ways of doing it. My favorite method is beating up dirge for the info. I think Keerava from the Bee and Barb gets you pointed in the right direction if you wanna keep things story driven as opposed to just showing up in the ratway.

Saozig

Hippy
I had the same reaction. I did some reading online and found that there are ways around it. Talking to the Innkeeper instead of Brynjolf is one of them. It's just poor thinking on Bethesda's part, which should have been fixed already.

Yeah, I read that in the official game guide and talked to the inneeper in my first play-through because I didn't want to frame Brand-Shei. But since then I just bypass all that and go straight to the Ratway, tear through the Flagon, wave at Delvin and head right into the vaults.

Chryss

If your speech is high enough, you can persuade Brynjolf to tell you where Esbern is. I believe you tell him the dragon issue is more pressing ( or something like that) he tells you where to find Esbern and tells you to come back when you've dealt with the dragon issue. This is the way I usually go about it.

Moris

Brynjolf annoys the hell out of me. He has a lot of nerve. "Never done an honest day's work for all that coin you're carrying, eh, lass?"

I always want to reply: "Um, yeah, I spent a few days picking plants and making potions, and, you know, if you were just to give it a shot yourself, you'd see how much amazingly more profitable it is than stealing random junk from impoverished towsnfolk."

He does have an immense charisma, once you get past this, and -- especially if you don't play a particularly good character -- he can be quite charming.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Brynjolf annoys the hell out of me. He has a lot of nerve. "Never done an honest day's work for all that coin you're carrying, eh, lass?"

I always want to reply: "Um, yeah, I spent a few days picking plants and making potions, and, you know, if you were just to give it a shot yourself, you'd see how much amazingly more profitable it is than stealing random junk from impoverished towsnfolk."

He does have an immense charisma, once you get past this, and -- especially if you don't play a particularly good character -- he can be quite charming.

He got to you too also.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I think Keerava from the Bee and Barb gets you pointed in the right direction if you wanna keep things story driven as opposed to just showing up in the ratway.
This is what I do. I stumbled upon it when I got to Riften late one night and instead of immediately starting the thing with Brynjolf, I went to rent a room for the night. I was pleasantly surprised because I've always hated that nonsense with stealing and framing up Modesi or whatever his name is. Definitely way out of my character's realm.

Adam Belmont

I didn't talk with Brynjolf. With one of my characters, probably the warrior, I went down the ratway without being member from thieves guild and talked to the bartender, he gave me the information and that's it. If you don't feel comfortable by going directly to Esbern (for RP reasons), you can do that.

Wildroses

Is this an I hate Brynjolf thread? Can we turn it into an I hate Brynjolf thread? I hate Brynjolf! I think of him as 'the red headed creep' and dread every new character's first visit to Riften because I know he'll stalk them mercilessly, waiting for her to finish her conversations with shopkeepers before ruthlessly forcing a conversation on her. I only ever created one character who stole things, yet he insists all of them never did an honest days work in their life. Why? They don't walk or dress properly. And he's a liar! I tab out of his conversation and he says he can take a hint, but every time I get within a two feet radius of him it's: "Glad to see you came to your senses, lass. Ready to make some coin?" No, and quit calling me lass, you patronising jerk, I'm not a kid or special friend.

I've heard that unlocking the strongbox, picking up the ring, putting it back, and telling him you lost it works, but haven't confirmed it. You might want to try telling him you'll do it, then walking into another building when he starts the distraction as well. I saw someone turn on the wrong quest marker on YouTube and do that, but I have a feeling Brynjolf made him try again.

Roxiraav

Lol Brynjolf is a fool. I totally see where you're coming from for not wanting to do the quest or join the thieves guild... it's tedious. I find it amusing as he tries to speak over the crowd at me to get my attention. "Haven't done an honest days work in your life for all that coin you're carrying, have ya lad?" or something like that. It's like, frig off Brynjolf. Don't judge me.

If your speech is high enough, you can persuade Brynjolf to tell you where Esbern is. I believe you tell him the dragon issue is more pressing ( or something like that) he tells you where to find Esbern and tells you to come back when you've dealt with the dragon issue. This is the way I usually go about it.
Anyway yeah, this. But if you're speech isn't high enough (which mine wasn't) he says something about some other issue pertaining to thieving being more important... or something. He's an annoying ass. End of story.

MrDSL

Role playing wise this is the Thieves Guild so one would have to ask why a good character would be wanting to join this group in the first place.

I wouldn't have my good character join the dark assassins either but thats strickly role playing.

Adam Belmont

What annoys me is that the game forces you to join them for completing the unusual gem quest and you just can't rid of the quest or the gems if you don't join them, worst than that, the game forces you to join the mages guild, because one of the gems is actualy inside the arch-mage quarters and there's no way to enter in there without his key, which is only obtainable by joining the college. That's the only thing I really hate in Skyrim.

MrDSL

What annoys me is that the game forces you to join them for completing the unusual gem quest and you just can't rid of the quest or the gems if you don't join them, worst than that, the game forces you to join the mages guild, because one of the gems is actualy inside the arch-mages quarters and there's no way to enter in there without his key, which is only obtainable by joining the college. That's the only thing I really hate in Skyrim.

Agreed!!

I've given up on clearing my quest log simply because there are too many bugged out that will never finish.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts