Alchemy and why you should use it. .. .. .. ..

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Twiffle

Alchemy is a favorite school of mine and it is well known in certain other threads I always suggest Alchemy as a skill to use, practice and utilize for builds as an alternative to Smithing and Enchanting. I am not saying or suggesting it is either better or worse but if used correctly (without loops or cheats) it could save your life more often than not, so I have decided (and hope not done before) a small guide and introduction to , in my opinion, one of the most versatile of schools way above any other.

This may turn into a long post but please bear with me, I will only being doing basic stuff, the rest is up to yourselves as the surprises you will have and understanding of this school will be, IMHO amazing for what it can do for you character/build. The beauty of it is it never needs to be a major skill, or even a minor skill, it can be a skill you just dabble in, but with the correct perks placed when available you will be amazed at the riches, the power and unstop ability you can gain by just quaffing a simple bottle of juice.

Lets first get rid of one of the most talked about myths on here, collecting ingredients, some say walking around catching butterflies, harvesting plants, wheat, giants toes etc etc, this is plain and simple a myth put out by those (and previous by myself) totally UNTRUE. Let me enlighten you.

We all know the game from the character creation screen is designed to both help and teach the player the skills required for whichever style they want to play and Alchemy is (although subtle) heavily included, let me shed some light on that statement.

If you look in the correct places without ever going of track and just following either Ralof or Haldar by the time you get to Riverwood you have the potential to make the following potions.

Fortify Marksman
Fortify sneak
Fortify Destruction
Fortify Restoration
Fortify Heavy/Light Armour
Restore Health
Restore Stamina
Fortify Smithing

And a few others, also you would have the potential to create potions that have a saleable value of over 2000 gold, add that to the other crap you carry from Helgen it can be in excess of 3000 gold, and you aint done anything yet. So now we have a pocket full of gold, so who needs to constantly gather ingredients, yes gather a few as you pass them, but otherwise just buy them, you will make way more profit when you have mixed them to resell. ;)

But lets look at what it can do for you, We all talk about how week we are at the lower levels, so my answer is, make a few potions, give yourself the edge, the game is giving it to you, so use it, mix a potion for 12% extra destruction damage, its not a lot but it could be the difference of live or die, same goes for archery, and great when you actually sneak upto an enemy and slit his throat, oh and im only level 2 but a potion has helped me, and it was free. :)

Next we come to perks, lets be honest at around level 20 ish we usually have a perk or two we can use in schools or save, so put them in Alchemy, use this school effectively and it will reward 10 times in return, because now the school is making you richer but more importantly more powerful and survivable.

I would like to make this clear at this point, I use Alchemy in virtually ever character but I never ever use the Restoration loop, so to give you an example I currently have a mage in Dragonscale armour fully smithed with capped armour and I havnt used any perks in light armour, but I have used Alchemy to make me rich, powerful but not invincible.

Your views on my post are appreciative and if you need some tips or pointers just let me know, I wont give you the answer outright, but I will give you a few clues how to use this, imho, the most dismissed but helpful of schools.

Tip No 1, its not all giants toe either.

I know I havnt given recipes for uber power potions, that’s not the point, its just my way of hopefully introducing players to a school that has so many possibilities that I myself still learn daily.

So just to recap, if you reroll another build just think the game gives you either, Heavy/Light Armour, swords, maces, daggers, shields, 2 handed weapons and Mage apparel, but more importantly if you look around yourself it gives you a way to improve there use right off the bat.

Have fun.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Excellent post. Very informative and helpful. And also all true.

I won't use any of it or do much Alchemy myself (just a personal preference), but recommend it to anyone who has the patience to learn and produce some truly amazing formulas that will enhance your abilities, save your life and aid in the killing of your opponents.

Me, I get a headache from the mortar & pestel, but hey, that's just me.

Give it a shot all if you haven't already tried it!

And as to Twiffle - Alchemy! Alchemy! Alchemy! HO!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Personally, I go to the poison side. But nice post. :)

Twiffle

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Personally, I go to the poison side. But nice post. :)

Ahh, , the beauty of death from within, , , :D

Indeed. Pretty darn gratifying to watch a dragons health plummet as he circles you. I lower my bow and watch him die in mid air.

Ya, poisons are awesome fun...

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Alchemy is worth doing for the gold income early on alone. It's a great way to garner a little bit of wealth while establishing a new character.

PeTeTe809

The Great Instigator
I'm using a mod that makes most everyone kick your ass no matter the level you are and I have to say that Alchemy is the only thing giving me the edge.

In this game, Alchemy is not a game.

Rimfaxe96

I think I'll give it a shot for my next character. Probably should learn it anyway now that TESO is on its way and I really, really hate smithing and enchanting, although I guess I won't be able to avoid the latter when playing online to upgrade weapons.

Daelon DuLac

I think I'll give it a shot for my next character. Probably should learn it anyway now that TESO is on its way and I really, really hate smithing and enchanting, although I guess I won't be able to avoid the latter when playing online to upgrade weapons.
I'm just the opposite. I love smithing and enchanting and could give 2 figs about alchemy.

Daelon DuLac

I'm just the opposite. I love smithing and enchanting and could give 2 figs about alchemy.

I guess smithing just seems too much like dirty-sweaty-work.
And enchanting is a no-go ever since I learned of the Soul Cairn. :oops:
Ah! That makes sense. I have no issues with the stealing of souls (been doing it for years, although I prefer black ones) and, while I have better ways to get sweaty, smithing is a good one for me. :)

Rimfaxe96

Ah! That makes sense. I have no issues with the stealing of souls (been doing it for years, although I prefer black ones) and, while I have better ways to get sweaty, smithing is a good one for me. :)

I already feel itchy when taking a dragon's soul.
Like, where is that thing going? :confused:

Daelon DuLac

I already feel itchy when taking a dragon's soul.
Like, where is that thing going? :confused:
Actually it's...............

Hey wait! I can't type anything! Somebody doesn't want me to tell. Alduin?

Daelon DuLac

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I would rep if I could.

I <3 Alchemy. The more I fiddle with it the more I like it. I want to create a character that knows fluff all in combat and uses the worst equipment available but is an Alchemist with Mad Skillz. I've got a character right now that is excellent in Archery (79) and with the help of a Fortify Marksmanship potion, totally pwned Meridia's quest. I honestly thought it would be harder but I one-shotted everything. Ok so I DID have a helm with Fortify Archery +36% and an Ebony bow (Flawless) but I feel confident that Alchemy pushed it over the top. I just love making potions. It's hard not to. It doesn't fit the style of some of my characters and I die a little inside if I can't collect ingredients for role-play reasons. Potions and poisons are my #1 way to make coin. I can have my pick of choice magic items in a general store or Khajiit caravan and pay in potions. With ingredients that I gathered for FREE.

Yes. DO Alchemy.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I've always avoided fast travel and walk pretty much everywhere - either alone or by horse. And usually it's a no-brain kind of thing to do: you're not really thinking. You are following your marker, waiting for you to arrive at whatever place you are heading for.

When I started to use alchemy, that changed. You need ingredients so you are going to inspect your environment. This will bring you to the point where you are going to recognize certain vegetation in certain areas. And after a while you know which flowers/plants grow on which location.

It's a way to learn more about Skyrim's nature and you'll definitely appreciate the game more for it.

Oh, and also:
Selling potions gets you rich....FAST. I need to travel from hold to hold in order to get rid of my latest experiments. :p

Manmangler

Giant toe is is only making money. I have made good coins for right potions.

Usually I make health and poisons
Good poisons and paralze are very good. Paralysis in bow when target is in high place. Watch his falling from high :)

I wont usually made fortify potions (Except for selling)

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
As much as I love Alchemy, there are a few things it can do that are apparently useless for anything other than bleeding a shopkeeper dry of coin. I refer to those effects which damage Magicka and Magicka regeneration as well as their Stamina counterparts. Why make a poison to do this if your goal is to kill them? I have a poison that can stop them from doing anything. It's called Paralysis. I can even mix them to include poison damage.

So has anyone ever used these poisons and did they help?