• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Lots of techniques to gain fast XP, without actually going through combat. Don't bother with it, and just play the game.

^ I find power leveling to make the game really boring really fast. Some people like it and that is their right. It's their game. It just isn't for me.

^ I find power leveling to make the game really boring really fast. Some people like it and that is their right. It's their game. It just isn't for me.
Yes, but you have to learn to play first. If you Start with bookshelf builds, free destruction, and capped out armor, you never truly do. Gain some Player Experience first, then start on the glitches.

Never buy cure disease potions. Hawk feathers will do the job just as well if you eat them. If you are feeling extra cheap, just go to a shrine at press it.

FrostedPink

Fairon
Some other good advice I thought of...if you are a weenie like me and are having a non sir-like moment, you can wait a few hours and begin adventuring again when it's light out! Hooray for the wait button! Also, I totally agree about using a second character to have a little more fun with. My first character, Fairon, started with the main quest right away. It all just seemed so important! Stefania, my second character, is doing side quests and Imperial stuff before the main quest. It's a nice change of pace to just wander the countryside and see what happens!

ShadowGambit

Power leveling is not worth it for a beginner.

It is a way, through glitches, abuse etc, to level a SPECIFIC skill. The problem is that doing so, you increase your level, and then a lot of enemies will scale with your level too.

If for example, you power level your Speech with the glitch in Riften, you will get you Speech to 100 easily, but also get to level 15+. But you don't have the equipment or the combat skills to face the enemies that are scale at that level, so you will get wasted. Never a good thing, mostly as a noob.

"Experienced" players can plan ahead, but noobs don't have yet the knowledge to do so, so it will screw the game for them. Maybe for your 2nd, 3rd or 4th playthrough you will look into it to be able to skip the tiresome low level beginning, but even so.

BigBad

Person of Interest
1. Buy a horse.
2. Invest in Smithing.
3. Don't take a follower into the dungeon in Ivarstead.
4. Do take a follower to High Hrothgar.
5. Don't use the cart. Travel to new places manually before utilizing fast-travel.
6. If you are playing in a low difficulty, turn it up to Expert or Master when travelling to Whiterun from Riverwood. It will allow the giant fighting the Companions to survive long enough for you to participate in the battle.
7. Mjoll is attainable as a follower. Mjoll is flagged Essential and cannot die. Mjoll never shuts up. Two out of three ain't bad.
8. Don't waste perks in Lockpicking. The minigame is absurdly easy to master, and potions/enchantments will give what minor edge may be situationally needed. Just make sure you have as many lockpicks as possible.
9. Potions have weight, and you can easily wind up carrying 100 pts without realizing that those Frostbite Venoms and Weak Aversion to Magicka are not worth carrying.
10. Even if you're won the Civil War, don't try to wipe out enemy camps that remain in the wilderness: the officers are Essential and thus immortal harbingers of your death.

Clau

The Fateless One
The only advice I can impart is be prepared for two tough fights in Volskygge if you enter through the bandit infested crypt. Later on, you'll be up against Draugrs and their ilk.

Orange_

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Watch the magic!
Don't worry about smithing and enchanting to start. Regardless of a lot of things you read, it's not a necessity and you don't need either one to have success on the normal difficulty. They can be a little complicated to new players and you can easily break your game by making it way too easy.
Don't grind any skills, for that matter. For games like this, the first time I play I make it a point not to read anything online and just jump in and play and figure out the ropes for myself. Once you're comfortable with the basics I'd recommend trying other people's strategies....but really, for a new player: don't read about the game and just play it.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I do the same thing.

Also it's the same for me when trying to build or fix something: I don't read the manual. I don't know whether it's a pride like thing but... it actually makes one feel graceful and wonderful and cozy inside when you fix/build something without reading the manual.

Same thing with a game for me. It's fun learning on your own sometimes. :3 Everyone is different but meh, that's just me.

I do agree with you Orange_, I do agree indeed. :)

osheao

the all-purpose, all-powerful hybrid IS ABSOLUTELY the most powerful character possible in skyrim.

specialization = less powerful OVERALL.

osheao

Not so. First of all, a Hybrid is a mix between 2 different things. Second, the only way to make the Omnibuild is to work (or glitch) all skills to 100, which means you face the highest leveled NPCs in the game. And finally, if you take 1 offensive skill to max, yet leave the rest of the game at the first, or second tier, you're Far more powerful in proportion than your level 81 character.

Not to mention, by the time you get your character up to 81, without grinding, nor glitching, you've tried, and mastered all 18 skills, which means you're no longer a "noob".

to make this quick and ez: i can pick perks that actually add power to my character. that's it. roleplay does not matter.

osheao

Not so. First of all, a Hybrid is a mix between 2 different things. Second, the only way to make the Omnibuild is to work (or glitch) all skills to 100, which means you face the highest leveled NPCs in the game. And finally, if you take 1 offensive skill to max, yet leave the rest of the game at the first, or second tier, you're Far more powerful in proportion than your level 81 character.

Not to mention, by the time you get your character up to 81, without grinding, nor glitching, you've tried, and mastered all 18 skills, which means you're no longer a "noob".

the allpowerful hybid is undisputable. unless poor perks and skills is accepted for your character.

the all-purpose, all-powerful hybrid IS ABSOLUTELY the most powerful character possible in skyrim.
specialization = less powerful OVERALL.
to make this quick and ez: i can pick perks that actually add power to my character. that's it. roleplay does not matter.
the allpowerful hybid is undisputable. unless poor perks and skills is accepted for your character.
oh.

ez ill lee proved.
Where in all of this, including quoting, and answering yourself is there a shred of advice for a new player?

1: Specializing means that your ingame skill and "real" skill improves. For example, if I spent all my time using two handed for all of my chars, I would be much better at 2-H because I know my way around it.

2: So? You know how to pick perks. Happy birthday. And roleplaying games are for roleplaying.

3: They are indisputable because you said so? Evidence please?

4: What the hell does that even mean?

osheao

yes, certain perks are valuable. i pick ones that mean the victory of skyrim.

or, lol, something like thatm