• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Znowcicle

Chimera~
My suggestion is to go and explore the world as much as you can, leveling up, gaining perks, reading books (I highly suggest this since most of the books are directly related to important characters and monsters you have to fight eventually), and talking to people (which I also highly suggest). The people of Skyrim have been there longer than you have, and most of the time they have something for you to do as well as valuable information about the two major forces in the game- the Imperials and the Stormcloaks.

Pick wisely and always have fun. :)

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Here's my tip:

If you see or hear a mudcrab. Take a calming pill. Because I found that it only takes one mudcrab to tick off a Dovahkiin. No matter how cute they are.

Yes I know, I'm weird XD

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
If you decide early on (and promise to stick with it throughout the game) to join the Legion of Friends of Bunnies, they will mock you every chance they get. Oh, will they mock you. Don't, um, ask me how I
know. :D They will run across your path. They will sit there, tempting you to unleash your weapon of choice. They will travel in pairs, perhaps more, again tempting you for a chance at multiple target practice. Or, y'know, so I've been told. ;)

Dabiene Caristiana

If you decide early on (and promise to stick with it throughout the game) to join the Legion of Friends of Bunnies, they will mock you every chance they get. Oh, will they mock you. Don't, um, ask me how I
know. :D They will run across your path. They will sit there, tempting you to unleash your weapon of choice. They will travel in pairs, perhaps more, again tempting you for a chance at multiple target practice. Or, y'know, so I've been told. ;)

Don't mess with bunnies man... Those things are everywhere.... EVERYWHERE. D:

Dabiene Caristiana

And for the sake of dragons... Don't... Mess... With Horses. DON'T MESS WITH THE HORSE. XD

I say this because Frost totally whooped a dragons butt in my honor :D

Unit7

DO NOT, and i say do not, kill people for fun. there are some people called "Essential NPCs" who cant die! Then everyone will be after you.

My advice on this is to save before going on a killing spree. Just in case you pick a town or city with some important NPCs that arn't listed as Essential.

My biggest advice is to save after big fights. If you had your but handed to you and you only won by dumb luck. Then you may want to save before continuing on.

Oh and if you ever and I mean EVER stumble across Sightless Pit. Do not enter it without saving before entering it. When you do enter it make sure you have plenty of healing potions and stuff. I recently made this mistake. I jumped down knowing that I wouldn't be able to get out the way I came in. Unfortunately the fact that i used all my healing potions on a dragon a few minutes before entering slipped my mind. I am just thankful I had some invisibility potions and high enough stealth to just sneak my way through the entire dungeon.

Kiwi Hammerbush

Watcher of the Worlds
My advice for newbies...There is no weapon more powerful in this game than your wits

ALWAYS think tactically going into a battle. Take into account all the details you can think of:
What type of creature are the enemies?
How many of them are there?
What level are they?
What sort of location are you in? (Plan an escape route, don't ever get cornered, learn the area layout)
What are your strengths? (Assassination? Casting powerful magic from afar? Ripping your way through?)
Who are your companions (If any) and what are their strengths?
Will you have to heal after or before this battle, and where can you do so safely?

There's a ton of planning that can go into just about any battle if you want to ensure victory. And once you get good enough, all of that daunting information you have to figure out...won't take two seconds.

And then it's a battle between a cluster of pixels with some weak AI, and someone who could give a military general a run for their money

Who do YOU think is going to come out on top?

illuminist

dark wood elf assassin
Hey everyone! As I've mentioned before, Skyrim is the first big RPG game I have ever played in my life. I am absolutely loving it. Often I have wondered what I would tell others who are in the same position as me. I'm talking basic, easy peasy stuff that an experienced gamer takes for granted, while us little peons struggle with walking in a straight line once we have escaped the chopping block. Seriously, it took me about 10 minutes to get it down! Moving along, what is some advice you would give to the new gamer to make their game get off to a great start? Any gamer secrets? As a noob, this is what I would share:
1. Giants are not friends. Avoid at all costs.
2. It will take you ten minutes to learn how to walk in a straight line, all the while looking ahead.
3. Don't let foxes fool you, they lead you straight to danger!
4. Don't kill chickens
5. Good luck jumping down that mountain and making it in one piece.

Add to the list!!
LOL nah, I just kill chickens when the entire village is not watching my advice for noobs is this.
yes, kill chickens and kill foxes and no foxes can lead you anywhere.

deer can attack you if applied to frenzy magic....

and always remember be stealthy never get caught and sneak and murder any bugga that annoys you and interferes with your sneaking.

heatherelectra

Premium Member
Skyrim is my first RPG too... lots of good advice here! The only thing I can add is don't feel like you have to follow the instructions for a quest, like Tolfdir "meet me at Saarthal in a few hours" or "go immediately to High Hrothgar to meet the Greybeards". The AI seems flexible enough that you can go do other things and come back to the quests much later if you want. My first playthrough I was too concerned with doing things in the right order, and it really doesn't matter!

Skyrim is my first RPG too... lots of good advice here! The only thing I can add is don't feel like you have to follow the instructions for a quest, like Tolfdir "meet me at Saarthal in a few hours" or "go immediately to High Hrothgar to meet the Greybeards". The AI seems flexible enough that you can go do other things and come back to the quests much later if you want. My first playthrough I was too concerned with doing things in the right order, and it really doesn't matter!
Good point, whenever it says "Go do this RIGHT NOW, or suchandsuch", there's really no hurry. You can come back to it days later, and it'll pick right back up where you left it.

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
Check the map for a viable path before attempting to scale a mountain. It must be Murphy's law, but every time I try to get to the top of one, the only way to get up pretty much always ends up being on the exact opposite side I try to climb.

Xivia4

• Regardless if you have a high sneak skill or not, crouch before fast traveling and when entering a dungeon or some other location. It gives you the upper hand. You can survey the area and see enemies before they see you. This has saved my character many times over.
  • Don't worry about making money or hoarding money. The economy in Skyrim is a joke. You'll make and find enough gold to buy that house you want and then some!
  • Do NOT power level unless you're leveling your combat skills as well. Sure you have Daedric armour but good luck fighting a Chaurus Reaper or an Ancient Dragon.
  • Save often. Once again save often.
  • Always check your current effects to see if you've been poisoned or have contracted a disease.
  • Save quests that give you free training for last--you'll determine what that is but for me it was around level 76.
  • PC Players: If you have a 20 inch+ monitor change the field of vision to about 85. It does wonders for your eyes. Toggle the console ` and then type in fov 85.
  • PC Players: If you plan on having a few different characters and want to keep better track of them then change the save name. Toggle the console and type Save SAVENAME. Replace the caps with whatever your character's name is.
  • PC Players: Play without mods and other cheats first. You'll get a very different appreciation and love for Skyrim if you play it vanilla first.

ShadowGambit

Here is my little 2 cents for noobs:

- SAVE OFTEN.
- Explore. This game is HUUUGGEEE.The Main quest is about only 20% of the game, the way I see it.
- Choose your playstyle. It is hard for a beginner to decide what you like to play, so stick with the basic at first: Pure Warrior, Rogue or Mage.
- When you have decided your style, know you weakness and strength. Play on your strength, avoid your weakness (easier said than done).
- know your enemies weakness. One thing for example, is that a lot of creature in Skyrim have Frost resist, but barely none have shock resist.
- You will have to play the game at least twice in my point of view. Your first playthrough will be discovery and learning. When you have a hold of the game and its mechanics (I would say around level 40+), then you will go with another character and play the game the way YOU want.
- know you Lore. I know it is tiresome, but it will help you tremendously in teh game if you understand where its coming from.
- have fun. It is a game afterall.

juggalogoth

save often (i save before dungeons and every 15 minutes) choose ur perks wiseley!!!! i cant stress this enough. charater development is everything. dont rush the game, explore. there so much stuff to do and you miss alot of great sidequests and stuff if you rush game. just take your time and have fun!

Dabiene Caristiana

Don't ask questions to a Giant when they don't know societies language or their ABC's. Unless you want to get launched to the moon of course. :D

FrostedPink

Fairon
Thanks, guys, for the great advice and the laughs! Though I gotta ask...what's power leveling?