Activate all DLC at once, or one at a time?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Reicta

Just bought the Legendary edition, and I'm wondering if I should activate Dawnguard and Dragonborn at once, or if I should do them one at a time.

I know that I want to go in order of release, so Dawnguard first. I'm worried if I activate Dragonborn as well it'll force me into some quest or make big changes I'm not "ready" for.

What should I do?

Disregard Hearthfire as it's a minor DLC

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
I did mine in order and Dragon Born takes a while to activate if you've already been to the grey beards. If not then don't worry bout it too much til you get there.

Reicta

Thanks for the reply. Already completed the main quest. So you think activating both now is the way to go?

Reicta

PC.

I currently have all DLC activated as I'm waiting for my new PC to arrive before I dive in. I heard that once Dawnguard is installed NPCs start being attacked, so I don't want something with Dragonborn to force me into it right away.

Chadonraz

PC.

I currently have all DLC activated as I'm waiting for my new PC to arrive before I dive in. I heard that once Dawnguard is installed NPCs start being attacked, so I don't want something with Dragonborn to force me into it right away.

It's 100% possible to have zero attacks on NPCs even if you do Dawnguard at level 40++. Don't worry about it too much. :)

I'd say put both in at once. Dragonborn doesn't do much at all until you decide to really start doing it.
Dawnguard has more of an effect, but nothing too dramatic. You'll get sick of a certain line of dialogue (unless you have a mod preventing it), though, unless you dive in straight away.

Annageckos

I put them both in at the same time and haven't had any issues that way. I've had a few vampire attacks, mostly on the roads at night. My biggest worry was vampire attacks on towns, but so far there have only been maybe two or three and the only casualty has been a bum in Windhelm.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Yeah I also did them all at the same time. I didn't run into one single problem. Just a lot of new quests get thrown at you at once, but from there you do whatever you want first with no issues. I was also nervous about doing that, but said to hell with it, and everything went perfect.

AJK

I installed Dawnguard yesterday for my level 41 character. Very soon after starting I was selling off some inventory in Whiterun and I was approached by a courier/soldier type dude asking me to join the Dawnguard. Then just a little while later after dark that night I was walking through town and a guard and a citizen were fighting a vampire and a thrall. I watched them for a minute, then helped out, but the citizen died. I looted the corpses and found that the thrall was the guy from Warmaidens, and the citizen was Olfrid Battle-born. So I took the keys to their houses. Then I went to Whiterun stables, and the horses were being attacked by Death Hounds!

I'm not sure I'm happy with my decision to install the DLC as it seemed a bit forced in right away, but I'm going ahead with it. I played for a while after all those things happened, taking care of some business in Solitude, and I didn't have any other vampire encounters other than a couple passing guards mentioning the Dawnguard. So I'm just going to ignore that quest for a bit and see what happens.

Rimfaxe96

I installed them all right away and only had some trouble with 2 houses from Hearthfire which bugged out. Didn't occur in my next playthrough though. I think Hearthfire can be a toughy if you don't install all of the unofficial patches, but other than that, go nuts and have fun. ;)

AJK

Should be as simple as unchecking the box under "DATA" on the startup screen. I used that method to uninstall the High-Res pack after concluding that my PC couldn't quite handle it. I don't know if it will corrupt save files that contain uninstalled DLC though.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I'd do them one at a time. I played them in the order they came out, first Dawnguard, then Dragonborn. The buidling home DLC is a bit.. just extra stuff.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts