• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Hey, everyone!

I've run into a problem as of late; which weapon set to choose from! Yesterday I completed my ultimate set, which was constructed using an Alchemy / Enchanting / Smithing loop while exploiting the "Vampiric Necromage" technique, but it turned out to be way too powerful, and made the game extremely boring (my Daedric Bow (Legendary) with two Destruction enchantments did 699 damage)! I was able to kill just about any enemy with one shot, or one swing of my sword! I don't want to have a repeat of that... So, I'm hoping that keeping in mind that I don't want to have too much power, but don't want to be underpowered either, that the lot of you can help me choose the "best" weapon set for me to use!

These sets would all be constructed using various methods of Fortify Smithing through clothing, potions, or both. I also have the option of using Fortify Enchanting potions if I need to add and strengthen elemental damage (Absorb Health and / or Fire Damage). All sets are comprised of a Daedric Bow, Daedric Dagger, and Daedric Sword (I'm going completely Daedric (armor as well) for this design).

Which set do you think is best? Note that I usually play on a medium difficulty; Apprentice or Adept. I'm a level 76 character as well. Oh, and if I add elemental damage, I'll be enchanting four items with "Fortify Destruction" so that I never have to recharge them (it really does work). :D

Set One
Bow: 103
Dagger: 79
Sword: 88
Absorb Health: Yes / No
Fire Damage: Yes / No

Set Two
Bow: 114
Dagger: 90
Sword: 99

Set Three
Bow: 119
Dagger: 95
Sword: 104

Set Four
Bow: 179
Dagger: 155
Sword: 164

Set Five
Bow: 206
Dagger: 182
Sword: 191

Thanks in advance, everyone! I could really use the help, before I pull all of my hair out, haha!

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Give us difficulty, level etc.

Ah, good thinking; my bad. I usually play on a medium difficulty; Apprentice or Adept, just so I'm not getting cut down in a single swipe, and my character is currently level 76.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Try 3, 4 or 5, and If you are killing giants dragons etc too quickly for your liking go down.

That's a good idea; start with, let's say, Set Three, and test it out for a little while to see how I like it, and if need be, adjust from there. Would you suggest adding either or both of the enchantments that I have associated with each set?

Oh, and I have yet to kill a single dragon in this game; I've been doing side-quests ever since I escaped from Helgen in the beginning of the game, aha.

Adam Warlock

I`m at level 81(Master) and currently using Dragonbone Dagger and Dawnguard Rune Axe at your set 3 levels.

The axe has it`s own Sun(fire) damage enchantment and the dagger has both shock and fire custom enchants.

It was the Absorb Health that made weapons overpowered for me.
I still use that enchant for weapons to keep my followers alive and my Dead Thralls on their feet , but no longer use it on my own equipment.
After all , there`s still health potions and healing spells for when your own safety is at risk if adding a bit of danger is what you`re looking for.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Thanks for the reply, Adam!

Would anyone else like to chime in and help me out? I'd really appreciate it. :D

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
if you're playing on normal difficulty just don't even make your own weapons and armor. The weapons and armor available in shops scale with your level just like the rest of the game and it stays balanced as long as you're not grinding anything hardcore (like speech but not combat skills). And you can use perks you'd otherwise spend in smithing elsewhere.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
if you're playing on normal difficulty just don't even make your own weapons and armor. The weapons and armor available in shops scale with your level just like the rest of the game and it stays balanced as long as you're not grinding anything hardcore (like speech but not combat skills). And you can use perks you'd otherwise spend in smithing elsewhere.

The problem with that is that I already have 100 in smithing. :/ Maybe I should try playing on master?

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
The problem with that is that I already have 100 in smithing. :/ Maybe I should try playing on master?
If you're looking for a challenge it can't hurt to try. If it ends up too much you can also knock it down a notch. Smithing is a skill like any other, I'm not saying that no one should ever level it up to 100 if they want, I just feel bad for the people that make the game way too easy on themselves. Have fun!

A non-smithing/non-enchanting character is kind of fun to play though, you feel more like a scavenger and once in a while you can splurge on a nice enchanted item in a shop.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
If you're looking for a challenge it can't hurt to try. If it ends up too much you can also knock it down a notch. Smithing is a skill like any other, I'm not saying that no one should ever level it up to 100 if they want, I just feel bad for the people that make the game way too easy on themselves. Have fun!

A non-smithing/non-enchanting character is kind of fun to play though, you feel more like a scavenger and once in a while you can splurge on a nice enchanted item in a shop.

Maybe I'll try making like... Set Three and playing on Master. Do you think that might balance it back out?

I'd honestly hate to have to start a new character, as even though I haven't done even a single piece of the main storyline yet (other than escape from Helgen), I've done a lot of side quests, including completely restore the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Just experiment and do whatever is fun for you. 3 sounds like a good place to start cause you can go up or down from there. It's a single player game, so it's all about your experience. I just wish all those guides that tell new players how to power level certain skills came with disclaimers that it can ruin the experience for some people.

I'm put off by many of the Skyrim fans who seem to think and preach grinding is a necessity. Smithing and enchanting in particular. It's absolutely not in a game like this. I've always maintained that the best way to play the game is just to play naturally, and if you happen to use smithing and enchanting, they will naturally level up. That's not the same as making a billion iron daggers and enchanting them with the same spell over and over and over.

If someone wants to do that in their own game, that's fine...but new players often think this is a necessity just because of the culture, and that's where the line gets crossed.

/soapbox

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Just experiment and do whatever is fun for you. 3 sounds like a good place to start cause you can go up or down from there. It's a single player game, so it's all about your experience. I just wish all those guides that tell new players how to power level certain skills came with disclaimers that it can ruin the experience for some people.

I'm put off by many of the Skyrim fans who seem to think and preach grinding is a necessity. Smithing and enchanting in particular. It's absolutely not in a game like this. I've always maintained that the best way to play the game is just to play naturally, and if you happen to use smithing and enchanting, they will naturally level up. That's not the same as making a billion iron daggers and enchanting them with the same spell over and over and over

For the majority of my time in Skyrim so far, I was playing normally; I wasn't working all too hard to level up my character or my skills, but when I started to get sick of it taking so many arrows or so many swings of the sword to take down an enemy, I started to work on upgrading my weapons, and eventually ended up having the 699 damage bow that I mentioned earlier, lol. So, now I have to try and balance the game back out, otherwise I'm going to have to start over, and I really don't want to do all of those Thieves Guild quests again...

Never use a weapon with a hit number higher than your characters level. Fists only at the beginning.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Never use a weapon with a hit number higher than your characters level. Fists only at the beginning.

I went with Set Two, and am going to see how that works out. I also didn't enchant Fortify Archery or Fortify One-Handed to any of my armor or my rings, as that brought their damages up quite a bit (I'm a level 100 Enchanter). I did however, enchant my armor pieces, ring, and necklace with helpful enchantments such as Fortify Health, Fortify Magicka, and Fortify Destruction. I also have a couple of Fortify Sneak enchantments as well.

Currently, I'm burning through all of the ingredients that I have right now to get rid of them and see what kind of different potions can be created, and then I'm going to head out and see how my character performs. If I'm still too powerful, I'll grab some more ebony ingots and Daedra hearts and then smith new weapons without using any Fortify Smithing enchantments, which will make all 3 weapons hit below 100.