A Warning to all Mod Enthusiasts; Do Not Download this Mod!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bira96

My brother is in turmoil with Skyrim right now. He downloaded a mod called "Amazing Follower Quips," which made a message appear that thanked him for installing it while the game loaded, but caused Skyrim to crash every time. In order to get it running, he had to uninstall and reinstall both the game and the mods, but the mods were all erased from the game. He had to manually reinstall the ones he wanted, but even after that they still didn't work. Not only that, but half of his equipment that he got in the game; nothing to do with the mods, dissapered, and to our knowledge as of late, they will never be recovered again. His Nightingale armour is gone, not found in his inventory, or any storage places in Breezehome.
So do any of you have any advice for my brother? If you don't, I'll be happy if you just heed my warning and stay away from this mod like it's the plague. I am not even exaggerating, if Skyrim had a black plague in it's history, this mod would be the sole cause. It is available on steam and it's avatar image is made up of a bunch of screenshots put together of the new things followers could do with the mod, you know, if it wasn't a brutal killer.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
It is an excellent idea to keep a backup of your data folder at all times. Had something like this happen to me yesterday, and I have to reinstall the game as well, but because my previous data folder is intact it will take about an hour tops.

zane

there's no shame in using the console to recover your stuff after setting things back up ._.
not a total lost in any case.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Well if you don't save between breaking and fixing, you should just have everything back in your inventory where eyou left it.

Bira96

Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiousity, what console command to you need to use in order to get your lost stuff back?
EDIT: Sorry, the mod I mentioned is actually named "Amazing Follower Tweaks", not 'quips'.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
You will just have to go through and manually restore everything piece by piece. That's the most you can do with the console if it's not in your inventory.

SaveVsBedWet

Aww man. Sorry to hear that this mod caused that kind of havoc on your system.

I too installed that mod while trying to find a faster and more integrated way to run the force marry faction commands. The idea of multiple followers (a small army) was pretty appealing too, I admit.

Now while the mod doesn't actually do a thing it says it's going to do in the description, and instead only puts up a box on load that claims its commands will show up in follower dialog wheels, it hasn't actually increased crashing that I've seen or can actually measure. It also has not caused the erasure or other loss of any items, mods, or the base game data itself on my system. It simply puts up the equivalent of a shareware nag screen which gets on my nerves big time but once I unload the mod via NMM that's the end of it.

What a drag if you don't have any backups where your stuff is intact prior to the mod install. Because if you had, you could simply deactivate. You could still do that so long as you didn't overwrite the last save your gear was in, after you lost the gear as was mentioned by someone earlier. You'd have ended up deactivating the mod and then loading the save, being told some features could not be loaded, and the only loss you would realize as a result would be the loss of that mod's EEVILE DEUWING.

Well, good luck with the console. At least there is that 11th hour fix still available. There are lists on the web of the ID numbers of every asset in the game, so all is not hopeless.

Bira96

This didn't actullay happen to me; I don't have it for PC yet. This happened to my brother. But thanks for the advice! My brother is already thinking of backing up his stuff, and he's the type of person who flips out if you suggest something to him that he already knows about. But thanks anyway! Now I know who I can trust if something like this happens to me w=once I get a better computer!

Neriad13

Premium Member
Huh. I've had this mod for ages and it works perfectly for me. It's one of my favorites, in fact. I and my small army of followers did a number on Alduin once. Of course, whenever I try out new mods I always start a clean game so there's no issue of messing up a current game and the ones that don't work can get deleted early on.

But I have heard other complaints about it before this. I guess I'm just extremely lucky.

SaveVsBedWet

Huh. I've had this mod for ages and it works perfectly for me. It's one of my favorites, in fact. I and my small army of followers did a number on Alduin once. Of course, whenever I try out new mods I always start a clean game so there's no issue of messing up a current game and the ones that don't work can get deleted early on.

But I have heard other complaints about it before this. I guess I'm just extremely lucky.

You got this to work? It shows you additional follower options in the follower's dialogue menu or do they appear somewhere else? How about the other stuff like the marriage expediting additions? Where does that stuff come up? And finally did you install it using the NMM auto-installer or via manual overwrite of the directory files from the mod's .7z archive?

Neriad13

Premium Member
You got this to work? It shows you additional follower options in the follower's dialogue menu or do they appear somewhere else? How about the other stuff like the marriage expediting additions? Where does that stuff come up? And finally did you install it using the NMM auto-installer or via manual overwrite of the directory files from the mod's .7z archive?

1. Yep.

2. Additional follower options do indeed appear in the follower dialogue menu. These include asking to see your follower's stats, selecting which armors and weapons you want them to use, setting their mode of combat, asking them to set up camp and/or assume silly poses for your viewing pleasure. I believe it is also part of the mod that your followers level with you, unless that's part of a patch that I'm unaware of.

3. I don't know much about marriage expediting, as I've only every married once and that was in a vanilla playthrough.

4. Again, no idea.

5. I auto-installed it off of the Steam Workshop and dragged it pretty close to the top of the load order, though it is not quite at the top.

J3D3X

gawd thanks for the warning! ive seen this mod before lol im pretty sure its removed now...

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
I use this mod all the time and it works fine. Most likely it was a conflict with some other mod.

Torok

I have this mod and it's fantastic. I'm so sorry this happen to your brother though...