• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
hello everyone!

I'm back to skyrim and this time I'd like to try and play a shaman..

The way I see it, it should be an orc with a shield (or maybe a staff in the off hand) and a spell in the other. Maybe with one handed skills as well.

Since he's a spiritual guide and whisperer it makes since for him to summon antorachs and have heals.

Alteration seems in place as well.

The thing is that ever since my first char, I've been trying to avoid ench/blacksmithing and here's what I came up with by now:

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

As you can see it's already for a level 55 char, and I've still not taken even the apprentice/adept in most trees.

The reason behind this is I'm not sure whether I'm better off investing these points into enchanting (and reducing mana cost thru items) or into the trees themselves.

So my questions are:

1) Enchanting ot app/adept etc perks? (maybe I can get good enough items thru out quests?)

2) Type of armor? I feel like cloth would fir pretty nicly here, I'll have a more interesting look.

3) If I'm wielding a shield, does it level up my heavy armor skill when I get hit?

4) Does the Alteration perk "Mage Armor" (works if I wear no armor) work while I am wielding a shield?

5) Stats? do I even need stamina? (I've seen a youtube video with these stamina soups that allow you to endlessly power attack..)

6) Any general suggestions?

I could switch the shield for a very strong staff (off hand), get mystic binding weapons to fill souls when needed (main hand) or lightning/fire spell (main hand).

** I'll probably come up with more questions later =]

Thanks a lot in advance!

Abraxas

Nightblade
I have to say, this is a very original character build! Kudos on that.

1) I never enchant with my characters because of the reason that it's funner to find enchanted weapons in chests and ect., but also because it's just really not needed (especially for your character style)

2) Definitely go with clothing and mage robes. I think monk and priest robes would be perfect, but they can sometimes get boring.

3) No, blocking with your shield increases your Block level.

4) What the Mage Armor perk does is it strengthens your protection spells like "stoneflesh" to be better when your wearing very low level armor or clothing. It will work when using a shield, but you have to be casting a protection spell with your other hand.

5) I wouldn't worry too much about your health, stamina, and magicka stats. Just keep in mind that you should probably keep a high magicka level for your build and a good health level (because of the weaker armor). I wouldn't count stamina out though, it gets annoying when you have to eat things and take potions to keep up your stamina, plus you probably won't be power attacking that often.

6) This sounds like a really cool character build. I would just focus on magicka strength and block perks would be good if you decide to use the shield.

Doomy

Forsworn armour looks very nice on orcs. It has that home made / low tech feel that suits nicely.

Summon familiar and the exploding version would work well with a shaman, as might lots of the lesser used shouts like the animal calm or summon. You might also consider a shout more suitable than spells that have the same effect as they are more "natural"

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

I have to say, this is a very original character build! Kudos on that.

1) I never enchant with my characters because of the reason that it's funner to find enchanted weapons in chests and ect., but also because it's just really not needed (especially for your character style)

2) Definitely go with clothing and mage robes. I think monk and priest robes would be perfect, but they can sometimes get boring.

3) No, blocking with your shield increases your Block level.

4) What the Mage Armor perk does is it strengthens your protection spells like "stoneflesh" to be better when your wearing very low level armor or clothing. It will work when using a shield, but you have to be casting a protection spell with your other hand.

5) I wouldn't worry too much about your health, stamina, and magicka stats. Just keep in mind that you should probably keep a high magicka level for your build and a good health level (because of the weaker armor). I wouldn't count stamina out though, it gets annoying when you have to eat things and take potions to keep up your stamina, plus you probably won't be power attacking that often.

6) This sounds like a really cool character build. I would just focus on magicka strength and block perks would be good if you decide to use the shield.

hehe thank you first of all. I did think of it by myself but when I searched for a shaman build there were already some posted in different places. (altho they were quite different from my view - no shield, smithing and etc).

Secondly, do I need stamina at all? I know that there's a soup that gives 1 stamina per second and is pretty easy to make (and works for 720 sec) and it allows you to power attack endlessly (cuz a power attack can use 1 point and still be exactly as effective). I don't really like that way, but should I rely on that? (so that I will not be low health and stamina since I have to focus on all three stats..)

Forsworn armour looks very nice on orcs. It has that home made / low tech feel that suits nicely.

Summon familiar and the exploding version would work well with a shaman, as might lots of the lesser used shouts like the animal calm or summon. You might also consider a shout more suitable than spells that have the same effect as they are more "natural"

Thank you for your comment. I do think that the forsworn armor will be great for a shaman look, but is it suitable for spells? and isn't it considered light armor? (I don't want to invest in any armor..)

I have another question for you guys.

If I choose not to level enchanting, and invest points into adpet/master perks instead, will there be items that I can get from quests or w/e with which I'll be able to play without worrying about my mana all the time? and be strong enough to play on Master difficulty?

And if so, do I need the one handed perks? what if I end up not using one handed because spells will be more effective?

lol and one more thing: should I take dual casting in destruction? (so I can stagger them until they're close enough for me to have to wield my shield)

Twiffle

just one point, mage armor perk works only when NO armor is used, even if you wore just some bracers it would not give you any bonus, it needs to be used when wearing only clothes like a robe, gloves, hat and shoes

Doomy

Destruction as primary is good, bit you need to take the perks for it, dual, stagger and cost reductions. As a secondary weapon, it doesn't really cut it.
Conjuration as a secondary is good, you don't need too many perks, and you don't need the massive cost reductions of destruction as you don't often need to cast many times in a combat.
Adding alteration and one handed will be spreading yourself thin. Not enough free perks, and you might be underpowered, AND you fill find that found items won't provide sufficient cost reductions for 3 differant colleges, especially without enchant, so that might mean another skill spreading you thin.

If you are going for destro/conjuration, you really should stay out of hand to hand. This negates the need for armour skills, or alteration, so you can wear what you like, and take enchant.

ahh now you got me all confused...

** Do I need enchanting or not?!? If I take enchanting, should I NOT add the mana reduction perks?

** Should I skip Alteration?

** Do I need light armor skills? I think the forsworn armor looks awesome, but with my build I'll end up walking slowly with it... And by the way, I noticed that the best mage masks in skyrim are heavy or light armor, if I wear robes + a light or heavy armor mask, will it slow my movement down as if I were wearing a light/heavy armor?

Doomy

If destruction is going to be your main weapon, then I would say yes to enchant, no to alteration and armour skills. If you want to use one handed, then drop enchant and take alteration or light armour.

A bit of armour isn't going to make a lot of difference to your speed.

Well, since I want to sort of combine one handed with destruction, will I be ok using robes and items I can find or get from quests? (arch mage robes +these masks) these can be combined with the mana reduction perks...

I'm pretty sure I can get to about 75% mana reduction no? otherwise I'd have to just get enchanting and not use any mana reduction perks at all. and put one handed dmg and mana reductions in my items...