A real problem to us all :/

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
what are you talking about? my friend put in 1k hours into MW2, Im at 300 hrs on BF3(3 mos since release) and Im on the low end for my clan. Some of em are around 600hrs and I saw one dude who I think shares with his roommate at 1200hrs.

Most of use put in maybe 2 hrs into the campaign because who cares about that. Its all about the multiplayer and it seems your looking at it the complete opposite way. If you dont see that multiplayer is what FPS is all about then your missing the boat

Ive put maybe 40 hrs into skyrim and Im scratching my head why continue. Thats bad value. I put way more time into every computer/console game I play. Mass effect 2, any of the final fantasies or any of the oblivion type games before it. All the civ games etc

That's great for YOU. I bought MW2, played an hour on the campaign, an hour multi. Took it right back for a refund. I found the game horrible, and the online stupid. Your basic no brains run and gun shooter.

dbukalski

Hardest game I ever played here. Nothing "casual" about it, I spent almost as much time researching online to understand what was going on as I did playing. I got killed A LOT on Adept difficulty, Falmers and Chauruses were a massive pain. Probably would have tired of it without the Auto-Potion mod, at least. I am always trying to play without interrupting combat to go into the inventory menu, that really kills the "immersion" for me. The sucky console UI doesn't help there either.

really? wow if only. Game is insanely easy

I also didn't spend much time smithing, brewing potions or trading because i just never seemed to have the right perk or ingredient, I find these actvities boring, I didn’t know where to find alchemy recipes, and the traders never have money worth bothering with.

fence traders have 4k in gold after doing the thieves guild quests. Besides, the only reason you need money is to buy crafting materials and enchanted items to disenchant. Which alchemy gets you

You dont need recipes, just combine things randomly or use the alchemy calculator. You dont need perks to craft basic leather/iron items which is how most people start off. Not even knowing how to power level smithing this is a basic RPG thing to do.

What I read from your statement there is that you dont have the curiosity to find out whats going on in those skills. Which is fine but your ignorance of the crafting skills is the only reason you found this game one of the hardest. Also makes me wonder what games your comparing to.

I don't understand what people mean when they say "character development in Skyrim"

how do you not understand. In your own words...

I agree with OP about the story being weak and the game rather shallow on the whole. It didn’t quite succeed in engaging me ... most of the thought required concerns how to power up your character and what look you prefer.

Which is what I said. the only reason to play games like skyrim is to develop your characters. And when all that does is make you insanely powerful halfway through leveling its boring. I want a game where enemies are dangerous even at my most poweful.

dbukalski

That's great for YOU. I bought MW2, played an hour on the campaign, an hour multi. Took it right back for a refund. I found the game horrible, and the online stupid. Your basic no brains run and gun shooter.

do you like FPS games at all?
a. if yes which ones do you prefer? because BF3 is more than just no brains run and gun
b. if no what did you expect?

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
do you like FPS games at all?
a. if yes which ones do you prefer? because BF3 is more than just no brains run and gun
b. if no what did you expect?

Sure do. Halo fan here since CE. Solo on legendary everyone. I haven't played battlefield but I have heard its leagues ahead of CoD in strategy.

dbukalski

halo is WAAAY better than MW/COD. People that dont want sci fi and cool kill streaks like MW/COD. MW2 was my first fps on account of my son, then black ops because of zombies. Bought BF3 and sold the other ones immediately no way I could ever go back

dbukalski

this topics more interesting than Ive had on this forum in long time.

Ever heard of blind leading the blind? If this is a sad nerds arguing topic here you are right with us.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
All sad nerds arguing over a game. :cool: lul

The entire forum is devoted to a game. What did you think would be debated? What fabric softener is the best?

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
I don't have a problem with it. I like the easy kills...stress free. So it's an easy game, so what? Play something else if you want a challenge and deal with it. This has to be the most common complaint I've seen on this forum, and nobody really has a good answer. So face reality and accept the fact that Skyrim is easy. I'm tired of all the bitching and moaning about this issue.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I didnt assume theres a problem with the guy. I assume, probably correctly, that his aversion to 10 year old chatter, t bagging is actually frustration at getting killed constantly. The answer to that would be to work at it. The purpose of "working" at it is to gain entry into a better gaming experience. Im a little over 30 years old. I figure I have another 50 years of gaming ahead of me. Im not going to curl up into a ball and say stupid 10 year olds for the next 50 years.

My aversion is mostly due to the fact that while I like to kill things, I like to take my time doing it. Lining up a sniper shot and waiting for the right moment appeals to me more than a high pressure free for all in a PvP matchup. It's also probably why I enjoy playing an assassin role in Skyrim so much. My comment about annoying 10 year olds was an exaggeration and probably uncalled for. I did frequently end up at the bottom of the list and was killed a lot. But it's not worth my time to get better at it because I have more fun playing by myself. I can make my own house rules and play by them. You obviously enjoy FPS multi-player much more than I do. To each his own. I haven't even touched another game since I put Skyrim in. I still have an unopened box of Zelda: Skyward Sword, complete with a shiny gold controller, waiting for me to get bored with this.

halo is WAAAY better than MW/COD. People that dont want sci fi and cool kill streaks like MW/COD. MW2 was my first fps on account of my son, then black ops because of zombies. Bought BF3 and sold the other ones immediately no way I could ever go back

Halo is my one true FPS love. I enjoyed the story behind all the shooting. Sorry to derail the thread.

Crispon

ReaperEOD

I dont have enough time now to answer to all these things you wrote but I read them man and I have only one thing to say....

Mate I'm happy to see that there are still people that you can discuss something seriously with them!
All these flamers and off-topic spammers just get on my nerves! (not speaking for everyone in this thread but only for the ones that I personally felt flamed by them and answered back and the people started talking/bragging on how good they are at Mw3 and Bf3...)

Also great points on what you say!I really felt you exactly got what I wanted to say and answered exactly on that!It is what you said about that I find lack of challenge late on the game!!! (and the rest you said too)...

Anyway,got to go!
Hope I will be seeing more of your replies ;)

Just a question though!What experience do you have on the TES games?I suspect that you didnt start with Skyrim?

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I'll agree that I wouldn't have minded the ceiling of "I am the Most Unbeatable thing in Skyrim" to be higher. Heck, I wish I could plateau at lvl 245,000... I'd play to it. However, it has to hit at sometime. One thing you are working on is to hit that lvl. You are trying to get better to be better than anything you encounter. After that, game play and going thru the story is still interesting and compelling if you follow it. It's not so much "Roleplaying" as it is "Let see what happens".

I would have once said "The Elderscrolls isn't for everyone" but then "EVERYONE" bought it. The understanding of what this franchise is kind of gets lost with the typical gamer who pretty much "Eats" game content. I'm not blaming those gamers whatsoever. That is, and will always be a way people play certain games but with Elderscrolls it is always better to take it a bit slower. When MMORPG players these days here "Dungeon" they think they need to rush rush rush, get the the End, throw their hands up and say "YEAH! Under 5 min's BABY!!!". ...... The Elderscrolls is a "Dungeon Crawl" in every meaning of the word and if you got so high you can kill anything with one hit but don't like it....you went to fast. There should be no "Top of the Leader Board" feel with the Elder scrolls, but again that way of playing will always be a tendancy from gamers with what other games are on the market today. The Elder Scrolls will always be about the journey instead of the destination and you have to stop and smell the roses while you play.

... I will admit I went to fast as well :sadface:

stagnant94

im not that hardcore, so i didn't really mind, it gets much harder to level up later on though

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
When i mentioned "character development" I was using the conventional meaning of the term, not powering up, but character development. Like wizdom, intelligence, charisma, honour and dignity, or evil psychopathy, etc...

SKYRIM IS WAY TOO HARD, WHY DONT THEY DO SOMETHNG ABOUT IT!!! :D

Now that I have finished the Main Quest and most of the other quests, I'd say the best fun and challenge would have been to rush the main quest BEFORE I got max armor rating, so It would present a serious challenge, and so I could then enjoy using the things/powers obtained from finishing the main quest , for blitzing some of the harder radiant and miscellaneous quests in style.... I'm trying not to give any spoilers here, but raids on outdoor locations become a lot more awesome after the main quest is done.

The problem is there is no direction as to which quests to take on for optimum enjoyment so many people are bound to be unlucky and have difficulty issues (too easy/too hard).
Nothing in the game indicated that vendors would have more money if i became a Thief.... It's not exactly a logical conclusion. The game is too oblique and that's why we see so many complaints.

The smithing issue is not an issue for me, it's a boring activity, so I didn’t do much of it, so I didn’t become overpowered too early.

If (here we go again) Bethesda would actually put out a detailed and clear article with advice on how to enjoy the game and a clear explanation of the quest system and the various difficulty factors, we'd all be better off.

I only realized that Radiant Quests are not essential quite late in the game, when the same quests started re-appearing.... If i had not spent so much time doing those and powering up, the main quest would have been more challenging.

Crispon

Skullrattla if you are not trolling in all of your replies and you actually talk seriously then I have to say you that you probably should change game type!

RPG seem to be not your style really?

You need direction from BETHESDA on what quests you should have taken?Really?
This is a go there,do that,finish stage,next stage style of game.....This is open world!

Bethesda provided you a huge world with soooo many choices and you just explore,find quests and DECIDE if you will do them or not considering your ropeplay!

Of course if you just running around and taking all the quests you see and do them,then the roleplay is ruinned and the game too!

Roleplay is ruinned because assuming you are the bad kind of guy then you probably should consider taking "bad" quests such as robberies ,murders etc!It doesnt seem logic to me to take a quest where you must murder someone and after that take another quest which you are the "good" guy and must defend the poor and helpless....It just doesnt fit the roleplay idea!

Anyway,just my opinion!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Possibly I didn't get what this game is about. Is it my fault? There just isn't enough info in-game. I wanted to follow the main quest, but it seemed I needed to do some other quests first to get strong enough. I tried to play as a mage character, but soon found out that early level magic sucks and I was forced to change into more of a battle mage... I had to leave the College questline for much later, as it was impossible to go past a certain point without serious firepower. I didn’t want to do evil quests, but I needed to get some decent weapons, and did not want to use exploits or spend hours smithing or looking for alchemy ingredients, then randomly eating them, then grinding away until i had enough perks to make Alchemy and Smithing actually worthwhile.

I was given the impression at the beginning that repetitive grinding was not required in this game, which is very much why i was interested in it.

The virtual reality is OK, but I also want a coherent game wih a coherent interactive story.
The open world of Bethesda just doesn't work that well for me on that front.... See Quest Bugs. If you look at the quest details for each of the quests on the UESP wiki you will usually find extensive lists of bugs that arise because of the sequence in which quests were done or items removed, or characters killed.

There isn’t really enough of an RPG element there for me to become interested, either. The dialogues and quests that come up are pretty much the same regardless of what you play, with minor divergences, eg if you play an Orc you get access to Orc holds from the start, and NPC will have different insults and comments depending on your race or what weapons/skills you have but that's it. Like I said, the game punishes you if you don't have good offensive and melee skills, it is in fact impossible to complete the main quest without them, IMO. So it comes down to the style of killing you like.

I'm talking about smooth and immersive gameplay that does not require the new player to spend so much time on the internet trying to figure out what is going on and why he keeps getting killed by minor enemies.

Yes, I read the Help section, and the user's guide. They reminded me of Apple help pages.... Not too much text and info in case dumb people can't read it!

The Radiant Quest system was a total surprise to me, this generative system is a cheap device used by disposable games... I spent ages trying to work out what was going on there and why quests seemed to come up again after I did them. How many swords has Red Eagle lost?

redrkt

Premium Member
Possibly I didn't get what this game is about. Is it my fault? There just isn't enough info in-game. I wanted to follow the main quest, but it seemed I needed to do some other quests first to get strong enough. I tried to play as a mage character, but soon found out that early level magic sucks and I was forced to change into more of a battle mage... I had to leave the College questline for much later, as it was impossible to go past a certain point without serious firepower. I didn’t want to do evil quests, but I needed to get some decent weapons, and did not want to use exploits or spend hours smithing or looking for alchemy ingredients, then randomly eating them, then grinding away until i had enough perks to make Alchemy and Smithing actually worthwhile.

I was given the impression at the beginning that repetitive grinding was not required in this game, which is very much why i was interested in it.

The virtual reality is OK, but I also want a coherent game wih a coherent interactive story.
The open world of Bethesda just doesn't work that well for me on that front.... See Quest Bugs. If you look at the quest details for each of the quests on the UESP wiki you will usually find extensive lists of bugs that arise because of the sequence in which quests were done or items removed, or characters killed.

There isn’t really enough of an RPG element there for me to become interested, either. The dialogues and quests that come up are pretty much the same regardless of what you play, with minor divergences, eg if you play an Orc you get access to Orc holds from the start, and NPC will have different insults and comments depending on your race or what weapons/skills you have but that's it. Like I said, the game punishes you if you don't have good offensive and melee skills, it is in fact impossible to complete the main quest without them, IMO. So it comes down to the style of killing you like.

I'm talking about smooth and immersive gameplay that does not require the new player to spend so much time on the internet trying to figure out what is going on and why he keeps getting killed by minor enemies.

Yes, I read the Help section, and the user's guide. They reminded me of Apple help pages.... Not too much text and info in case dumb people can't read it!

The Radiant Quest system was a total surprise to me, this generative system is a cheap device used by disposable games... I spent ages trying to work out what was going on there and why quests seemed to come up again after I did them. How many swords has Red Eagle lost?

So what you are trying to say in your last couple of posts, is that, you want someone to hold your hand and tell you everything about the game WITHOUT you having to put any effort forward to learn it, this is not a linear game that you have to follow a specific path to the end, I have not finished the main quest yet as I feel that that should be the END GAME line not something you do first thing.

One question for you..... IF you knew everything about a game (whats going to happen, how it's going to happen, and where to find everything) before you played it, would you still buy/play it? Because to me being in that position would really make the game boring and not worth buying.
Don't take this part personally..... I don't know how old you are, but if at this stage in your life, you still need someone to hold your hand and tell you how to do everything...... well...........................

Xiomn

Lol he made a perfectly formal post and you reply by sneakily insulting his age etc. Such an aggressive thread. Everyone here just wants to come out on top.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts