A question about the levelling system and how it correlates with the area.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Just curious to know if the levelling system in the game is more like Morrowind where if you go into a really hard area at the start of the game then it is just spectacularly hard, so that area is set to that difficulty no matter what level you are or will it be more Oblivion and fallout based where everything in the game levels up with you so the difficulty kinda stays the same? Personally I prefer the Morrowind way but I'm still happy with the game non the less.

Also what type do you prefer?

Abuse

Can't tell yet.. Everything (except for minor Dreagmars or w/e) pwn me... I hope it's the "game levels with you" type of system, I prefer those!

demujin

I think the game levels with you to a degree. But they improved upon the oblivion system by making some areas necessarily more difficult than others. Also, I read somewhere, that when you enter a dungeon, the level is locked to that, so if it is too hard you can go back later and it will have the same level monsters, but you will be stronger, so you can get the payoff of leveling up. We will have to see how it plays out in the actual game.

I'm playing as a mage and currently I'm in a Dwemer ruin and the enemies are kicking my butt, first really challenging dungeon so far.

Drem

devs said typically harder dungeons/mobs at higher elevations. isn't always true but it's a rule of thumb. they also mentioned the dungeons level locking at whatever level you are when you enter.

i haven't traveled far but everything around whiterun was just wolves and bandits mostly. then i bought a horse and started to ride toward riften and after i went past the waterfall east of whiterun things turned up a bit. frostbite spiders wandering the forest below the waterfall and then up the path to the fall forest i ran into bears, flame atronachs, and even a breton dressed in full dwemer that 2 hit KOed my lvl 12

i guess it's supposed to scale a little bit but i haven't really seen it other than random bandits and silver hand members that can actually take more than 3 to 5 hits, with no difference in name

seems like overall they're doing a good job with making it trivial to be near populated or well-traveled areas (like skeevers, wolves, bandits at worst) and then out-of-nowhere-hard that makes you think twice when you go to more desolate places

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
I'm playing as a mage and currently I'm in a Dwemer ruin and the enemies are kicking my butt, first really challenging dungeon so far.

Those Dwemer Centurions are fluffing hard to beat! Spiders are a nuisance too.

Some caves/dungeons I've ended running through because I was unable to defeat those within. I try and stealth my way through most caves. Gone are the days of storming in with the Umbra blade!

demujin

Those Dwemer Centurions are f***ing hard to beat! Spiders are a nuisance too.

Some caves/dungeons I've ended running through because I was unable to defeat those within. I try and stealth my way through most caves. Gone are the days of storming in with the Umbra blade!
Yep, I was thinking the difficulty might have something to do with my character. I'm nearly pure magic The Dwemer automatons are just really tough, I think they have a lot of magic resistance and a lot of health. I take them out by placing runes and summoning atronachs while I blast them with destruction magic. But I have to kill them quickly or else they can surround me and kill me.