• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Haplo

I want to buy a new RPG (western) and have composed a short list of potential games that I want to look into. If anyone has played these games please state which you recommend or you can suggest something that is not on the list please do:

1. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
2. Arcania Gothic 4
3. Risen
4. Risen 2
5. Dungeon Siege 3
6. Torchlight
7. Dragon's Dogma
8. Game of Thrones
9. The Witcher
10. Two Worlds 2

Clau

The Fateless One
Avoid Game of Thrones! Don't buy it. You will be better off with the books or the TV series.

Kingdoms of Amalur is my favorite game right now. Epic hack and slash fantasy with cool finishing moves called Fateshift and Twist of Fate. Gameplay is easy to pick up and play. You can play as a warrior, mage or rogue / assassin. The good part is that you can mix and match those types into a functioning hybrid whereas I was a Mage Warrior. When you get bored you can re-build your character without creating a new character and starting the game.

It is sad that Big Huge Games went bankrupt. They were in the development of a sequel and an MMORPG for the franchise. KoA: Reckoning has two expansion DLC's Legend of Dead Kel and Teeth of Naros. Finished both.

While I haven't gone far with Dragon's Dogma. It is essentially a mix of KoA: Reckoning and a bit of downsized shadow of the colossus wherein you battle big bad monstrosities with your assembled band of heroes.

I will also recommend Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2.

KritikalPT

Oh boy, big list incoming, get ready.

Also, take note that some of these will be older games. Some of these games may have been mentioned by other people, I'm just typing this as it comes to mind.

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2 + expansion
Might and Magic (pretty much all of them, just stay away from 9 like the plague)
Ultima series (all of them except Ultima 9, screw that game, hell, do us a favor and burn it if you have it, or play it and then spend days on fetal position)
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2 (personal opinion: hated it, but if you play it you might actually like it)
Gothic games
Diablo games
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Planescape Torment (another one I hated)
Two Worlds
Two Worlds Two (stupid title, by the way)
Kingdoms of Amalur (fun game, gets boring fast)

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Not much for lists here, but have you tried Divinity II: The Dragon Knight saga? Pretty good WRPG, pretty fun combat, nice story, great music and graphics, and being a dragon knight is just epic. However, it's pretty challenging until about level 40.

As someone said before, Dragon Age: Origins is fantastic. The second one...not so much in my opinion. I really wanted to play The Witcher 2, but the thing has such terrible input delay I just couldn't stomach trying to frustrate with it. If you can get it running well however, it's apparently really good.

Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't very good either IMO. All it really is is really, really, really big, but its hardly interactive besides running from point A to point B and murdering everything in between, as well as being way too easy. It's like an offline version of World of Warcraft, without any interesting story or dungeons or multiplayer to make it interesting.

Also don't even touch Game of Thrones. It's a lazy uninspired buggy mess.

KritikalPT

I really wanted to play The Witcher 2, but the thing has such terrible input delay I just couldn't stomach trying to frustrate with it. If you can get it running well however, it's apparently really good.

Yeah, I had the same problem inicially with the game as well. Pressing Space would make Geralt dodge a second after you've pressed it, and in my mind I thought I was playing with someone's grandfather or something, and even after dodging I would still get hit.
However they did change it with the Enhanced Edition, along with some new quests and other things. Only after I got my hands on that have I completed the game, and it's really worth it.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Yeah, I had the same problem inicially with the game as well. Pressing Space would make Geralt dodge a second after you've pressed it, and in my mind I thought I was playing with someone's grandfather or something, and even after dodging I would still get hit.
However they did change it with the Enhanced Edition, along with some new quests and other things. Only after I got my hands on that have I completed the game, and it's really worth it.

I downloaded the EE as well, but I still noticed terrible input delay. I tried with a keyboard and a controller, and it seemed to do better on the controller, but everything still felt very sluggish.

This is coming from someone who played Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja, so it's not hard for me to exaggerate small issues like that, but it does drive me batty because I am still a Master Ninja deep down.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts