PC 5 Mods You MUST Always Have?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
List your top five mods you simply have to use for Skyrim. No need to mention Unofficial Patches, those are a given!

Here are mine to get things started:

1) SkyUI
2)ApachiiSkyHair
3) CBBE body/face mods
4) Cloaks of Skyrim / Winter is Coming
5) Glowing Ore Veins

PC - Mods You Can't Live Without | Skyrim Forums

I can live without all of them. I keep my game fairly vanilla, so I can give accurate advice to Console users without being affected by them. However, I currently run Luscious Faces, Race Plus, Kill Them Generals, Missing Apprentices, Silvercraft, and my own personal Addons from the Creation Kit, like some items lying around Helgen Keep at the start. (An Iron Greatsword on Gunjar, and Imperial Light Shield in Hadvar's Room.)

I also have Classic Classes and Birthsigns, but it's completely optional, so i can skip it, and have a Vanilla start for playing through Builds I'm going to post here. Most of them are superficial, or glitch remediation. For instance, Missing Apprentices was originally supposed to be in the game, right down to the dialog, items, and locations being there, the mod just makes it active.

Skulli

That made me remember how often I wished a bow had shown up earlier in the Helgen run!

That made me remember how often I wished a bow had shown up earlier in the Helgen run!
I didn't add any, because honestly, you don't have any clear shots before that. I added the greatsword, and Shield to compliment the skillsets for Nords, and Imperials. The way they have it set up, you pretty much have to go with Hadvar for a Light Armor/2H Stormcloak type, or Ralof for a heavy Armored Sword&Board Imperial type.

Skulli

I can also safely live without mods if necessary, but some of them make everything so much more immersive for me.

Although I admit 75% of my mods are cosmetic and only a couple involve "cheats" of any kind, mostly to speed up the grind in certain areas where I've "been there, done that" 99 times already before!

Morgan

SkyUI
JaySuS Swords
Weapon and Armor Fixes
Smithing Perks Overhaul
XCE

I actually don't load the unofficial patches, so not as much a "given" as you assume. They are a very nice idea, but I don't agree that everything they change is a bug. Since you can't pick and choose what to load through the mods, I don't load any of it, and download or create bug fixes for the stuff that stands out separately.

I can also safely live without mods if necessary, but some of them make everything so much more immersive for me.

Although I admit 75% of my mods are cosmetic and only a couple involve "cheats" of any kind, mostly to speed up the grind in certain areas where I've "been there, done that" 99 times already before!
If you can have Mods, you can just Console up with `player.advskill ... ###`. Sure, it's a cheat, but so is Modding it to change the XP values after they already patched it because Smithing was OP.

Neriad13

Premium Member
1. Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger

Adds a shop to Riverwood that sells a simple camping kit that you can set up anywhere.

2. True Compass

Removes all landmarks and enemies from your ingame compass, leaving only the cardinal directions intact.

3. Duel - Combat Realism 5

Makes combat A.I. a little smarter and more challenging.

4. Crimson Tide - Blood 2.2

BLOOD PUDDLES AND SPURTS! >8D

5. Map Markers Complete

Marks just about every little area of interest on your map when you discover it.

I honestly don't recall the last time I played a game without every single one of these, or a variation thereof, intact.

Papzt

1. Left hand rings
2. Desmelting mod
3. Static mesh improvement
4. That's ice
5. Some vegetation mod. i don't know the name atm

Sent from my GT-I9300

Saozig

Hippy

Halkin

pzzzztt
i'd be rocking with, in no particular order

1) eat, sleep, drink, bathe
2) sky ui
3) towns & villages enhanced
4) detailed cities
5) whatever the camping one is called i have (i think same as neriad's one, with it having a shop)

KattSand

Premium Member
Gah there are so many to chose from! :D

1:skyrim flora overhaul
2:Immersive armors
3:Hd-2k textures
4:Ultimate follower overhaul
5:skyui

I use a lot more but those are the 5 I've had ever since I got my gaming rig :p

Rinn

Sweetroll Kleptomaniac
I am not really a fan of mods that add new content to the game, as I don't need extra fan-made content to keep Skyrim interesting for me. I do am a fan of graphical mods which enhance the feeling of the game. These are the mods I use.

1. SV - The Outdoor
SV - The Outdoor is a mod that changes the lightning and color of Skyrim's weather to give Skyrim a new look. It makes the game more realistic for me, like darker nights, limited sight and darker environment when there's heavy rain etc, It does give Skyrim a better feeling for me.
2. S.O.V.E
S.O.V.E. is basically the same thing as SV - The Outdoor, but does enhancements on some specific locations like the Rift, Whiterun, the Reach etc. It's also made by the same author. Therefore, it is recommended to use both mods at the same time for the full experience. It'll worth it, trust me!
3. Better Dynamic Snow
Better Dynamic Snow fixes the ugly snow textures on objects and terrain and adds a nice, realistic, layered snow texture that makes it look like snow instead of Bethesda's "white paint" textures which aren't pretty at all.
4. Chopping Block / Wood Fire Fix
I have this mod because the purple wooden blocks bother me and Bethesda didn't fix this issue at all. Therefore, this mod that fixes these issues and make everything look neat and normal as it used to be.
5. That's Ice
A mod that "fixes" the ice textures in Skyrim and make them look more realistic. If you're adventuring around Northern Skyrim a lot, this mod might be great as this surely does fix the old ice textures that do look like the "white paint" textures that I mentioned earlier in this post.

These are the mods I am using. If I am right, using these mods shouldn't have any effect on the performance of Skyrim as I can play the game on Ultra without experiencing any lag or framedrops.
I hope you guys like these mods :)

Cazimir

1. The one that enhances Skyrim's colors. I couldn't tolerate going back to the shades of grey in the vanilla version.
2. Ultimate Follower Overhaul. I love followers too much to just have one.
3. My Home is Your Home. For RP purposes, I like being able to dictate where my followers live.
4. Pure Waters. With water appearing almost everywhere, this mod makes it so much prettier and realistic.
5. Enhanced Night Sky (Or something like that.) Again, I wouldn't want to go back to the vanilla sky. Sometimes I literally stop to gape because the night sky is so beautiful.

Invader Vin

1. Skyrim Community Uncapper

Perhaps the most important mod I use. It allows you to level skills beyond 100, level your character beyond 81, slow down (or hasten) skill leveling and add additional gains when you level up--like granting extra perk points and so on. It allows for a more tailored to your taste sort of game and I personally enjoy slower level progression and extra perks for greater character customization.

2. Enhanced High Level Gameplay

and...

3. Deadly Dragons

I use these mods to make the game harder as vanilla master difficulty always winds up getting too easy eventually.

4. Alternate start Live Another Life

I mostly use this just so I can skip the opening wagon scene every time I want to start a new character. It allows you to play a totally different role in the game if you want to as well.

5. Fine ace Textures by Urshi

The least important of these five but useful Because it's nice to have the option of making a male character that does not look like he's in his mid forties. I'm a few months away from 30 myself and as can be seen by my avatar pic, I do NOT have huge deep wrinkles in my face.

Skulli

Most Dragons, on Steam, I love that one for some reason...

Morgan

I should add that while I listed my top five, I have at least thirty that contribute so greatly to my game experience that I consider them crucial. So, in keeping with the spirit, if not the name, of this topic, in no particular here are my NEXT 25, to add to the five I listed above:

1. Skyforge Shields
  2. Winter Cloaks and Hoods
  3. Bound Sword skill fix
  4. Alternate Start--Live Another Life
  5. Auto-Unequip Ammo
  6. Enhanced High-Level Gameplay
  7. Racial Bonus in Description ('cause I start a lot of new characters)
  8. Better Quest Objections (goes with . . . )
  9. Simple Compass (removes everything but directions and hostile markers from compass and all quest stuff from map, hence need for more descriptive quest objectives)
  10. J.Hco's Scottish Pound Mod (okay, not really crucial, but the most amusing one on here)
  11. Purchasable Jarrin Root (a must for any serious assassin, and gets rid of all your "I have too much money" problems)
  12. Night Eye Overhaul (the vanilla version is more of a handicap than a special ability)
  13. Thieves Guild -- No Autostart
  14. Revised Potion Weights
  15. Unlimited Bookshelves (oh, forgot about this one! Should be one of top five)
  16. Alchemy Ingredient Storage (ditto)
  17. Complete Skyforge
  18. Lost Art of the Blacksmith
  19. More Craftables
  20. Complete Crafting Overhaul
  21. Val's Crafting Meltdown (outdated, but still best one of this ilk)
  22. Quality World Map
  23. Race Menu
  24. Birds and Flocks
  25. Ultimate Follower Overhaul
Also a lot of texture, light, and color enhancers. I'm constantly trying new ones of these, so hard to list.

Skulli

I should add that while I listed my top five, I have at least thirty that contribute so greatly to my game experience that I consider them crucial. So, in keeping with the spirit, if not the name, of this topic, in no particular here are my NEXT 25, to add to the five I listed above:

1. Skyforge Shields
  2. Winter Cloaks and Hoods
  3. Bound Sword skill fix
  4. Alternate Start--Live Another Life
  5. Auto-Unequip Ammo
  6. Enhanced High-Level Gameplay
  7. Racial Bonus in Description ('cause I start a lot of new characters)
  8. Better Quest Objections (goes with . . . )
  9. Simple Compass (removes everything but directions and hostile markers from compass and all quest stuff from map, hence need for more descriptive quest objectives)
  10. J.Hco's Scottish Pound Mod (okay, not really crucial, but the most amusing one on here)
  11. Purchasable Jarrin Root (a must for any serious assassin, and gets rid of all your "I have too much money" problems)
  12. Night Eye Overhaul (the vanilla version is more of a handicap than a special ability)
  13. Thieves Guild -- No Autostart
  14. Revised Potion Weights
  15. Unlimited Bookshelves (oh, forgot about this one! Should be one of top five)
  16. Alchemy Ingredient Storage (ditto)
  17. Complete Skyforge
  18. Lost Art of the Blacksmith
  19. More Craftables
  20. Complete Crafting Overhaul
  21. Val's Crafting Meltdown (outdated, but still best one of this ilk)
  22. Quality World Map
  23. Race Menu
  24. Birds and Flocks
  25. Ultimate Follower Overhaul
Also a lot of texture, light, and color enhancers. I'm constantly trying new ones of these, so hard to list.

LOL!

I admit to have had over 80 mods until Saturday, when I pared down to under 30.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts