• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

All is not lost, if you're not a Breton, but it chews up usable enchantment slots. For one of the races with no resistance, try using boots, necklace, and ring of one element each. By the time you can dual enchant, your levels are high enough to double-stack the system and be at the cap on each. Something like this..

boots - fire, frost
necklace - frost, shock
ring - shock, fire

...or, you can throw resist magic on the ring and necklace, one of each of the others, and have an empty boot slot for muffle or carry weight, one-handed, etc.

Vaga8ond

I'm not much on heavy armor but the smaller races just don't look that great in them. That's probably why I have a bias toward spell swords instead. I had a Breton Spell sword however I leveled up frost and decided I just couldn't make it work so now i'm leveling a Redguard spell sword who uses fire.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
My friend's main character is a Breton, but not a magic user much at all. He's pretty much a mele-warrior type. I thought this interesting as it seemed contrary to the strengths of the race, but he said the natural magic resistances were excellent in overcoming what is typically a characteristic weakness of a warrior type and that is defense of magic attacks. Made pretty good sense actually.

yup it has sense but why using breton for warrior if you wont use any magics... i mean all those perk bonuses that other warrior type race would put in good use for a warrior. Breton focuses on magic early game (couse bound swords and axes aro SOOO op) About magic resistance, i think high hp and become ethernal shout are kinda enough. Also power that drains magic... well maybe its a waste maybe not... nvm everyone to his own.

JoeReese

My friend's main character is a Breton, but not a magic user much at all. He's pretty much a mele-warrior type. I thought this interesting as it seemed contrary to the strengths of the race, but he said the natural magic resistances were excellent in overcoming what is typically a characteristic weakness of a warrior type and that is defense of magic attacks. Made pretty good sense actually.

yup it has sense but why using breton for warrior if you wont use any magics... i mean all those perk bonuses that other warrior type race would put in good use for a warrior. Breton focuses on magic early game (couse bound swords and axes aro SOOO op) About magic resistance, i think high hp and become ethernal shout are kinda enough. Also power that drains magic... well maybe its a waste maybe not... nvm everyone to his own.

Honestly, I believe you can make any class work with any race. It's all in how you play the hand you're dealt. If you have high magic resistance, you can use enchantment slots and potions for attacks and armor. If you have high attack strength, you can use them for resistance, etc. It's just a matter of juggling the resources a bit.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME

Honestly, I believe you can make any class work with any race. It's all in how you play the hand you're dealt. If you have high magic resistance, you can use enchantment slots and potions for attacks and armor. If you have high attack strength, you can use them for resistance, etc. It's just a matter of juggling the resources a bit.

lolz i was truying to uptade my post but you you omg me and my english... interupted me so i will say like this. I wasnt disagreeing. I dont like buying potions, trader might sell me poison, not healing potion, and i might die (these are toughts of true stormcloack!) D: And you gave me good idea, i think that i will try playing an alchemist.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Never play a Breton. Want my characters good looking and they're all short and dumpy. Not my bag baby... By level 20 all their racial advantages are moot anyway with enchantments so there's no need.

Currently playing Nord Battlemage. It took longer but the look is much better. Also like Altmer and Imperial for battlemage.

AS88

Staff member
Never play a Breton. Want my characters good looking and they're all short and dumpy. Not my bag baby... By level 20 all their racial advantages are moot anyway with enchantments so there's no need.

Currently playing Nord Battlemage. It took longer but the look is much better. Also like Altmer and Imperial for battlemage.

My Breton Dawnguard is offended :p

IMAG01891_zpsc796adc6.jpg

Daelon DuLac

So which one is it< the short dumpy guy with the goatee or the butch chick (I think that's Mjol). Either way, I'm glad he's wearing a hood. That way you can't really see him.

Daelon DuLac

So which one is it< the short dumpy guy with the goatee or the butch chick (I think that's Mjol). Either way, I'm glad he's wearing a hood. That way you can't really see him.
I'm kidding, of course. Bretons are fine. Just not my cup of tea. Speaking of Bretons, now that Belethor was killed by vampires in Whiterun, I have a key to his shop and have been looting it bit by bit late at night using the back door key. They guy really does have an awful lot of crap in there. :) "Do Come Again!"

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I have a female Breton at the moment and the small stature makes her look sweet and petite. Til she beats you upside the head with a mace.

Like was previously posted, any race can play any class but some are more suited to some professions than others. It's only noticeable in the early game.

chizzbot

My char is a Breton... I usually roll with a one-handed weapon & Spellbreaker. That shield saves my skin all the time, esp when against a ice mage or draugr trying to freeze me! Or those damn cultists chucking fire at m from a distance...

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Starting bonuses to magical skills, 25% magic resist at all times and the Dragonskin ability allowing you to absorb magicka from hostile spells, lore and history of Breton mages.

For the record, people don't always choose Breton for battlemages; Altmer, Dunmer, Imperials are popular choices.

Imperials have the long lore and history of being Battlemages. We invented that shiz, all these Breton players stole it from us. Thieves the lot of them.

We even got own our book, 'The Art of War Magic'.

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate
Bretons are weird and Skyrim just makes them that much more bizarre.

For starters, the Bretons in Skyrim were pretty badly cheated out of their stats from Oblivion and Morrowind (I think).

Starting off at Ht of 1.0, NO +50 Magicka and -25% Mag Res is f8cking insulting. Not to mention how in TES lore, Bretons are tall Dark-haired people.

I have in my possession a mod, created by me, which restores Oblivion racial bonuses to all races in Skyrim. Only one left in existence as the others were torn down from Fascist Nexus, or other moders were way too literal in their application of Oblivion abilities, removing or badly implementing those to Skyrim. My mod sets their Ht to 1.04 (allows one to keep their abilities from Skyrim itself), although there is another mod which lets you set Ht thru the menu.

Anyways, this is not about me.

Bretons are AWESOME and the BEST PICK to anyone wanting an effective alternative to Imperial. Esp if you have something like I use to keep Bretons fitted into lore proper.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Imperials were the bomb-diggity in Oblivion. Truly. However, for some *thoughtless* *arrogant* and *mean-spirited* reason, nearly all of the racial abilities, bonuses, height, all of it is jacked up in Skyrim.

Having Bretons start with just 25% Mag Res is not a nice thing to do.

Point being ~ Bretons natural abilities (when implemented proper) make them EXTREMELY useful for any class or trade.

Breton is a very, very good choice but very, very poorly implemented in Skyrim.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Starting bonuses to magical skills, 25% magic resist at all times and the Dragonskin ability allowing you to absorb magicka from hostile spells, lore and history of Breton mages.

For the record, people don't always choose Breton for battlemages; Altmer, Dunmer, Imperials are popular choices.

Imperials have the long lore and history of being Battlemages. We invented that shiz, all these Breton players stole it from us. Thieves the lot of them.

We even got own our book, 'The Art of War Magic'.

Does that mean the Nords invented drunken violence? :p

Daelon DuLac

Ivory

Let's Player
All the hate on Bretons being short makes me a sad breton. Even when wood elves were short in Morrowind and Oblivion, there was never a real short human race. Now that the Bretons have that mantle it feels more realistic to me because I am short as hell. (5'5-5'6')

I for one thank the gods that the Bretons are the one race I can believe I'd actually end up as. Intelligent, smaller and agile compared to NORDHULK, REDGUARDMUSCLES and ROMANMENOMG.

No offense to those players, I just can see a breton as a archer or battlemage far better than any other based on looks. (Imperial is a close second tho. Closer in oblivion than Skyrim)

Ciocal Gricenchos

Cichol Grigenchosach
As a Nord, I think that Skyrim is big enough for everyone! Come, friends! I welcome you to our home! Yes, that means you too, Bretons! Except Delphine. I hate you, Delphine.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts