• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Maledictum

Exactly what the title says. As a crypto-fascist organization it would make a lot of sense for them to have a single, charismatic leader who is also the unquestioned ruler of the Dominion. However there is zero reference to a leader in all sources (that I could find). Only two Thalmor leaders are referenced, both of them being military commanders during the Great War (Naarifin (who is dead) and Lady Arannelya who led the army attacking Hammerfell). The same book mentions a possible power struggle in Alinor during the seventy years of silence. However, if the Thalmor truly have a leader why isn't his (or her) cult of personality more prevalent? The various Thalmor say stuff about generic Mer superiority but there isn't even a hint of praise or acknowledgement of a leader. Which contrasts with the Thalmor's real life analogies who all possessed huge amounts of leader-worship.
So they might have an Inner Circle who runs stuff in the absence of a real leader (á la 1984 with its possibly illusory Big Brother). But still not having even a figurehead is rather strange, since it makes propaganda more difficult and less useful.
What do yo guys think? Imo, the first one is the better option because having an expansion where you have to infiltrate some important city (or even the leader's huge private estate in Alinor or in Valenwood, in a similar vein to mark of the assassin in DA 2 but with more freedom to explore the immense property containing entire villages and dungeons, befitting the master of the Dominion) to assassinate (or prevent the assassination of if you are incilined that way) the Thalmor leader would be rather epic.

Chryss

I believe Elenwen is the leader of the Thalmor in Skyrim.

Maledictum

I believe Elenwen is the leader of the Thalmor in Skyrim.

Yeah but she is only the ambassador in Skyrim. I am sure she has her counterparts in Cyrodiil and High Rock.
What I meant is the overall leader of all Thalmor and thus the Dominion. Like you know the Altmer counterpart to Emperor Titus Mede II. My problem is that the Dominion's leader was apparently completely left out of every existing piece of lore and this bugs me. Did Bethesda simply forget about it? Or do they have bigger plans?

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
If not then im sure theres a mod that will let you

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Oh, sorry about that. I'll look into having the ability to get back into the Embassy.

Don't bother, she's flagged as essential. At no point is she able to be killed (by non-modded means anyway).

Neriad13

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that Elenwen is as close to a leader as the Skyrim branch of the Thalmor have.

As for why there's no information on the head-head of the Thalmor or much information at all on the organization itself...I think it's because they just don't have all that much involvement in Skyrim. It's an icy, barren, sparsely populated, way out-of-the-way corner of Tamriel with no strong leaders who aren't thoroughly occupied in petty affairs. Personally, I think they'd have much more interest in, say, Cyrodiil or Valenwood or Hammerfell.

In Skyrim, the Thalmor are more like a background decoration. You see them every so often in the very rare quest including them or pass them by on the road. You know they're there with a sinister, intriguing purpose and these encounters add raw flavor to the game, but you can't really interact deeply with them.

But, really, I think that there's an entire new game's worth of story to be had out of the Thalmor and that they're going to be the main villains of Elder Scrolls VI. I just feel like there's this massive, slow-burning conflict building up between them and the rest of Tamriel. We've only got to wait some years to see it.

Chryss

with the Horse Glitch, my husband's character was able to get back in the Thalmor embassy after Diplomatic Immunity and killed her while she was sleeping. Funny how they look so sweet and angelic when sleeping. After that, there were some Thalmor hunting for him.

Maledictum

Still Bethesda decides to write four new in-game books about the dwemer and we know many leaders of obsucre nations (like the leader of the Maormer, Orgnum) but we don't know anything about the Aldmeri Dominion's upper leadership despite the fact that they look like the main antagonists after the whole Alduin stuff.

Maledictum

I'm pretty sure that Elenwen is as close to a leader as the Skyrim branch of the Thalmor have.

As for why there's no information on the head-head of the Thalmor or much information at all on the organization itself...I think it's because they just don't have all that much involvement in Skyrim. It's an icy, barren, sparsely populated, way out-of-the-way corner of Tamriel with no strong leaders who aren't thoroughly occupied in petty affairs. Personally, I think they'd have much more interest in, say, Cyrodiil or Valenwood or Hammerfell.

In Skyrim, the Thalmor are more like a background decoration. You see them every so often in the very rare quest including them or pass them by on the road. You know they're there with a sinister, intriguing purpose and these encounters add raw flavor to the game, but you can't really interact deeply with them.

But, really, I think that there's an entire new game's worth of story to be had out of the Thalmor and that they're going to be the main villains of Elder Scrolls VI. I just feel like there's this massive, slow-burning conflict building up between them and the rest of Tamriel. We've only got to wait some years to see it.

Oh I posted before I saw this. Yes it seems reasonable what you say. But still the book about the Great War, or the book about the Thalmor's takeover in the Summerset Isles speak endlessly about them but there is not a sliver of information about a leader. And I find that bizarre. It is like writing a book about the NSDAP or WW II without mentioning Hitler.
But I too think that they will be the main antagonists in the next game.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
I can confirm the horse glitch killing. It might just be a glitch that both of us had though.

MushroomGenius

with the Horse Glitch, my husband's character was able to get back in the Thalmor embassy after Diplomatic Immunity and killed her while she was sleeping. Funny how they look so sweet and angelic when sleeping. After that, there were some Thalmor hunting for him.

I can confirm the horse glitch killing. It might just be a glitch that both of us had though.

Hmm strange since she's flagged as essential according to the Wiki.

elenwen.jpg

Chryss

Perhaps essential up until the DI quest, after that no longer essential.

MushroomGenius

Perhaps essential up until the DI quest, after that no longer essential.

It says she can't be killed at the end of the Main Quest also... *shrug* :confused:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Elenwen

Further researching... looks like you may be able to kill her by following her after the conclusion of Season Unending....

Wouldn't mind trying this out on the 360, but problem is I don't want to break something that may affect future DLC.

Chryss

It says she can't be killed at the end of the Main Quest also... *shrug* :confused:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Elenwen

Interesting, perhaps a glitch, I mean, your not suposed to be able to get back in there either so with being back in, and finding her asleep, she did die. If i was good at riding horses I would have done that also but I cant seem to keep a horse more than 20 minutes.

Neriad13

Premium Member

Huh. In that case, I wonder if it's possible to follow her home after Season Unending and kill her on the road. I'll have to try that sometime.

Chryss

We did consider a future DLC when he killed her and decided it was more fun to kill her, personally satisfying ya know.
Constantly making new accts from scratch so when the DLC does come out, it will be all good.

Maledictum

Why does everybody want to kill the Thalmor? I find their arrogance refreshingly amusing. And Ondolemar is very kind to you after you do his quest. Even saying something like: 'There are few pleasures finer than your company' or something like that when you greet him. Just to show that many Thalmor are simply overdoing the snobiness to anger the local people (on purpose). Ondolemar can even be convinced to help you out during Diplomatic Immunity (though he is a little grumpy about it) so they CAN be nice if they like you but most of the time they simply choose to not be. Certainly, the level of dedication they show towards the cause of Elven Supermacy is touching. They are purposefully douchebags so that their people can benefit from it.

That doesn't mean my non-altmer characters don't kill them when they get the chance. But I do not hate them as a player and I respect their accomplishments.