Mages are such weenies at low levels. What to do?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
And if you say "followers" and "hirelings" I'm gonna slap y'all!

I'm getting a little tired of sneaking around and never getting to do any actual combat. The spells just aren't powerful enough to actually hurt most things unless I spam the heck out of them.

I'm at level 17 now and tired of running around with Lydia because I can't defend myself. It's gotten to to the point where I had to break down and get the bound sword (with perks) and carry a dagger with me because I'm just such a weenie on my own (and that darn Lydia takes forever to catch up). At least then I can flame, frostbite or spark them in the face while I hack away at them. I've even had to give up putting perks in to magic schools and start putting them in archery and one handed.

How do y'all play these mages. Flame & Frost Antronachs are well and good, but, even they don't do that much damage and really serve as little more than distractions. It's gotten to the point where I'm collecting firestorm and storm antronach scrolls just to keep my head above water.

Any tips?

Me: level 17, Altmer Mage, vampire armor of destruction, 75% magicka regeneration, +70 magicka and at 250/200/100 at this point.

I've played warrior mages and they're great after about level 30, but I was trying for a pure mage on this run through (no robes for me, they just look silly as far as I'm concerned - kinda like a uniform.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Low level mage is usually 25% spell casting, 75% evasion... from my experience.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
at low levels you have to be resourceful as a mage, ESPECIALLY if you don't yet have the "Impact" perk, you're going to need some kind of stunner, what i highly recommend is the staff of paralysis, you can get it easily at snap leg cave, located east just check your map, that staff is a total life saver when you don't have "Impact", it can even drop giants! there are a few really weak hag mages in there with a frostbite spider but just sneak if you don't wanna fight them, the staff is located in the very first room on top of that pile in the back with a few other goodies, its the first item i go for when creating a mage.

Daelon DuLac

at low levels you have to be resourceful as a mage, ESPECIALLY if you don't yet have the "Impact" perk, you're going to need some kind of stunner, what i highly recommend is the staff of paralysis, you can get it easily at snap leg cave, located east just check your map, that staff is a total life saver when you don't have "Impact", it can even drop giants! there are a few really weak hag mages in there with a frostbite spider but just sneak if you don't wanna fight them, the staff is located in the very first room on top of that pile in the back with a few other goodies, its the first item i go for when creating a mage.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? If you use staves then you don't up your own experience. Sheesh, this is so complicated... :sadface:

Star Gazer

If you don't have the impact perk, then I suggest getting the freezing frost thingamajig from Solstheim. Although it doesn't fully stun them, it drains stamina really fast and keeps them (almost) still while you barrage with other spells. It's unlocked through an annoying quest. Not sure if it's worth it.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? If you use staves then you don't up your own experience. Sheesh, this is so complicated... :sadface:
no the staff is a huge help in boosting stats, especially destruction cause while they're on the ground paralysed you're going to be unloading on them with destruction spells, when i get the staff the first thing i do is go giant hunting, they give huge bonuses for defeating them with destruction magic so i stun them with the staff then blast them till they're dead.. one of the fastest methods of getting "Impact" i've discovered.

Annageckos

I'm playing my first pure mage, at about level ten so far. I have Marcurio as a follower for now, using mostly destruction and conjuration with a little alteration. I also have a mace for backup and a bow. I plan on getting bound weapons to replace the ones I carry now. I am wearing robes of destruction and a hood for now. I find I do a lot of running. I find I have to really plan, get my stone flesh spell up before getting attacked. And if I can get my familiar summoned too. This is very different then I normally play. Usually use light armor with a bow and sword. And I'm carrying a lot of magicka, health and stamina(that I always forget to use) potions.

Star Gazer

I'm playing my first pure mage, at about level ten so far. I have Marcurio as a follower for now, using mostly destruction and conjuration with a little alteration. I also have a mace for backup and a bow. I plan on getting bound weapons to replace the ones I carry now. I am wearing robes of destruction and a hood for now. I find I do a lot of running. I find I have to really plan, get my stone flesh spell up before getting attacked. And if I can get my familiar summoned too. This is very different then I normally play. Usually use light armor with a bow and sword. And I'm carrying a lot of magicka, health and stamina(that I always forget to use) potions.
Get that bound bow ASAP! It's very strong and levels up both your conjuration and archery

Daelon DuLac

Get that bound bow ASAP! It's very strong and levels up both your conjuration and archery
I agree, but, for the life of me I haven't been able to find it in 8 months of play without purchasing it and you can' t purchase until your conjuration is high enough. :sadface: It seems to be like the Atherium war stuff where it appears at random. I wonder if the College would have a copy of the spell book for sale... hmmm...

I never really have an issue upping conjuration though since I use bound sword and both raise zombie, etc... and antronachs as soon as I can. I get to 100 long before i do so with destruction or any other school. For me, conjuration and enchanting are my quick uppers.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
Playing a mage has never interested me, I must admit...

Star Gazer

I agree, but, for the life of me I haven't been able to find it in 8 months of play without purchasing it and you can' t purchase until your conjuration is high enough. :sadface: It seems to be like the Atherium war stuff where it appears at random. I wonder if the College would have a copy of the spell book for sale... hmmm...

I never really have an issue upping conjuration though since I use bound sword and both raise zombie, etc... and antronachs as soon as I can. I get to 100 long before i do so with destruction or any other school. For me, conjuration and enchanting are my quick uppers.
I know what you mean. I never play mages, so I wouldn't know the struggle. The College is like the regular venders. They don't sell a particular spell until you have reached the required level. o_O

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector

You do know where the Bound Bow spell book is though, yes? I'm not sure if finding it as loot is level dependent or not though.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

the bound bow spell tome can be found at any time regardless of level at Fort Amol, its in the prison area located to the left of the main entrance, it can be tricky to find as its hidden under a bucket in the back of the room, not too cryptic but not exactly obvious, i found it by pure accident the first time.. be careful in that room tho, theirs 3 high level mages in there that will wipe the floor with you if you're not careful so i'd try to sneak or bring lots of health potions if you're still at a low level.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
If you played like my 11 year old, you would not have a problem. I suggested full mage, no weapons, and he went for it. Has NOT had a problem at all. Something's going on here, like, mentally, he's very pure, or something.

Star Gazer

If you played like my 11 year old, you would not have a problem. I suggested full mage, no weapons, and he went for it. Has NOT had a problem at all. Something's going on here, like, mentally, he's very pure, or something.
The Chosen One has finally appeared to test his people.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Pure Mages can be a bitch at first. But when you get higher, there is no more destructive force on Nirn...

Playing the pure Mage, invest into magicka. A lot. Get into the habit of casting a flesh spell before combat, should be your first instinctive move. If you're on console you can hot key two spells, so you don't have to open up favorites menu. I have a flesh spell and my destruction spell hot keyed.

The pure Mage is one of my favorite classes, been using it since Oblivion. Very rewarding later on.

The Chosen One has finally appeared to test his people.

You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Magicka?

The Mages High Council must be made aware.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Become Ethereal is a low level mages best friend and it's one of the first Shouts acquired. I use it and use it often on a pure mage, especially early on.

AS88

Staff member
Illusion, Illusion, Illusion. They can't hit you if they're all aggro'd on each other. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts