Redguard Discussion (was DLC discussion)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Real or Fake?

• Total voters

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
What was wrong about the lore here?

If I'm not mistaken, Saadia tells you that she spoke out against the Thalmor and now there's a price on her head. Well, Hammerfell just so happens to hate the Thalmor with a fiery passion. I turned her in upon hearing her story, because she took me for a fool.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
What was wrong about the lore here?
The whole quest is structured around the premise that Skyrim takes place circa 4E 175-180 instead of 4E 201:

1. The Fall of Taneth took place 3 decades ago but we're supposed to believe that it's possible that a woman who might not have even been alive at that time and would have been about 1-10 years old if she was alive at the time was responsible for handing the city over to the Aldmeri Dominion.

2. She's fleeing the Aldmeri Dominion because she spoke out against it in Hammerfell notwithstanding that the current Aldmeri Dominion wouldn't care if anyone spoke out against it in Hammerfell (the whole population probably speaks ill of the Aldmeri Dominion on a daily basis), let alone care enough to dispatch mercenaries to kidnap her

3. The Redguard resistance is alive and well in Hammerfell (when it hasn't actually existed for over 2 decades)

4. Saadia can't return to Hammerfell because of the Thalmor implying that the Aldmeri Dominion still occupies a portion of Hammerfell

None of this is reconcilable with the year being 4E 201. All of it makes sense if the year is circa 4E 175-180. The developers for the quest must not have gotten the memo. I'm only saying that half jokingly because quests were being developed concurrently with the lore so it's quite possible that the timeline was going to be different at one point in the development of the game than what it ultimately turned out to be for release and this was somehow forgotten resulting in this quest still being in the game in the manner that it is. Regardless, it's still the most glaring error in lore consistency in the game.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
If I'm not mistaken, Saadia tells you that she spoke out against the Thalmor and now there's a price on her head. Well, Hammerfell just so happens to hate the Thalmor with a fiery passion. I turned her in upon hearing her story, because she took me for a fool.

Well, she lied to you. That's not lore-unfriendly, that's just a lie within a game. Different characters, different agendas, it's what keeps Skyrim interesting.

Dagmar, thanks for the huge write up, I'll try and respond.

1. Appearances can be deceiving, especially if they are in graphics. I think Bethesda just didn't make her look old enough.

2. This was most likely her lie.

3. If she implied that Hammerfell was Thalmor-controled then she was lying again. You've gotta think that the average Skyrim citizen doesn't know too much about the world.

4. Saadia's lying again.

I'm not saying that this quest was well written, it wasn't, it was confusing at best. However, I think that all of these contradictions you're finding are lying on the behalf of the characters and not inaccuracies on Bethesda's part. Bethesda is generally very good at being lore consistent, but poor at in game story telling, I just think that this quest is a microcosm of that.

That all being said this quest wouldn't be a great starting point for another DLC.

Dagmar

Appearances can be deceiving, especially if they are in graphics. I think Bethesda just didn't make her look old enough.
There's nothing deceiving about her appearance. Bethesda has no problems making characters look age appropriate as they are consistently age appropriate throughout the game. If Saadia were meant to look like she was an adult 30 years ago they would have made her face mesh look similar to Rikke's. Also her cover is as a tavern wench which is a young woman's job. Literally denying what your eyes present to you is a weak counterargument.
This was most likely her lie.
It may be a lie but it makes absolutely no sense for her to make such a transparently obvious lie. What purpose does it serve? Your character would have to be an inbred imbecile to believe a lie that stupid and she'd have to be a mouth breathing moron to believe that anyone would believe such an obvious and senseless fabrication. While I suppose one could role play a character that's perceived by the world at large as a complete idiot and fool I doubt that's what Bethesda had in mind when it designed this quest and it clearly didn't intend to present Saadia in that manner. Kematu himself indicates she is extremely adept at manipulating people in his dialogue at the stables and a person with that capacity wouldn't rely on such a juvenile and feeble attempt at deception.
If she implied that Hammerfell was Thalmor-controled then she was lying again. You've gotta think that the average Skyrim citizen doesn't know too much about the world.
This isn't from Saadia, it's from Kematu. Everyone knows that the Aldmeri Dominion left the province over a quarter of a century ago. An event that large and that old would be common knowledge. Thinking otherwise defies common sense and it's laughable to think that a Redguard of Alik'r wouldn't know this.
Saadia's lying again.
Refer to my response above regarding her alleged first lie. As a lie this one is no more idiotic or less plausible unless you push the clock back by over 2 decades.
I'm not saying that this quest was well written, it wasn't, it was confusing at best.
The quest isn't confusing at all when you put it in its proper context. Everything coalesces quite well if you imagine it takes place shortly after the signing of the White-Gold Concordat. Your attempts to advocate to the contrary simply end up making the dialogues sound ludicrous and well beyond not being well written.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
There's nothing deceiving about her appearance. Bethesda has no problems making characters look age appropriate as they are consistently age appropriate throughout the game. If Saadia were meant to look like she was an adult 30 years ago they would have made her face mesh look similar to Rikke's. Also her cover is as a tavern wench which is a young woman's job. Literally denying what your eyes present to you is a weak counterargument.
It may be a lie but it makes absolutely no sense for her to make such a transparently obvious lie. What purpose does it serve? Your character would have to be an inbred imbecile to believe a lie that stupid and she'd have to be a mouth breathing moron to believe that anyone would believe such an obvious and senseless fabrication. While I suppose one could role play a character that's perceived by the world at large as a complete idiot and fool I doubt that's what Bethesda had in mind when it designed this quest and it clearly didn't intend to present Saadia in that manner. Kematu himself indicates she is extremely adept at manipulating people in his dialogue at the stables and a person with that capacity wouldn't rely on such a juvenile and feeble attempt at deception.
This isn't from Saadia, it's from Kematu. Everyone knows that the Aldmeri Dominion left the province over a quarter of a century ago. An event that large and that old would be common knowledge. Thinking otherwise defies common sense and it's laughable to think that a Redguard of Alik'r wouldn't know this.
Refer to my response above regarding her alleged first lie. As a lie this one is no more idiotic or less plausible unless you push the clock back by over 2 decades.
The quest isn't confusing at all when you put it in its proper context. Everything coalesces quite well if you imagine it takes place shortly after the signing of the White-Gold Concordat. Your attempts to advocate to the contrary simply end up sounding ludicrous going well beyond not being well written.

I think that her long spree of manipulation and lies could have made her complacent, lazy, and underestimate a nord's intelligence level. I think it's obvious that she is lying about many things, especially point 2.

Saadia can't return to Hammerfell because of the Thalmor implying that the Aldmeri Dominion still occupies a portion of Hammerfell

As far as I have learned the Thalmor still occupy Balfora Isle and the Adamantine Tower.

Dagmar

I think that her long spree of manipulation and lies could have made her complacent, lazy, and underestimate a nord's intelligence level. I think it's obvious that she is lying about many things, especially point 2.
None of that explains why she would make unbelievable lies. They're not simply bad lies, they're lies that are transparently false as soon as they're uttered, even to a stupid person. When I said one would have to suffer from mental incapacity to believe them I meant that literally. It would be like you lying to your boss if he invited you over to his place tonight for dinner by saying you'd love to but you can't because you have tickets to the world premiere for this awesome new movie called "Star Wars" tonight. :rolleyes:

It also doesn't explain why Kematu would tell you an equally idiotic lie by asserting the Redguard resistance is alive and well in Hammerfell.
As far as I have learned the Thalmor still occupy Balfora Isle and the Adamantine Tower.
The Isle of Balfiera is part of High Rock. It's located in the Iliac Bay. No Mer have controlled it or the Direnni Tower since the First Era when the Bretons supplanted the Altmer from the area. The Aldmeri Dominion completely withdrew from Hammerfell in accordance with the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai between it and Hammerfell.

They're just trademarking it because it's the name of the race. I highly doubt they'd let us into Hammerfell, because we want to do it. They never listen to the fans. If they did, we would have the option to join the Thalmor (which I personally can't see myself doing, but having the option would be cool for a High Elf player), have co-op mode, have creation kit on all platforms, and TES V would have been in Akavir.

feliciano182

None of that explains why she would make unbelievable lies.

Have we ever considered that the point of this quest is precisely to test the players in their involvement with the lore ? Normally, an average player who wants to do the hero will most likely save the damsel in distress, and will find himself in conflict IF he gets deep into the lore of the game, which reveals Saadia as the one who is clearly inconsistent.

Maybe it's a little absurd that her lies are so bad, but someone who doesn't know anything about the lore will be completely deceived, from a developer's standpoint it makes sense.

As for Kematu, is it possible that something else is brewing in Hammerfell by 4E-201 ? Another Thalmor invasion ? Highly unlikely, but it just ocurred to me.

Dagmar

Have we ever considered that the point of this quest is precisely to test the players in their involvement with the lore ? Normally, an average player who wants to do the hero will most likely save the damsel in distress, and will find himself in conflict IF he gets deep into the lore of the game, which reveals Saadia as the one who is clearly inconsistent.
First of all she's not inconsistent. Her claims are simply untenable on their face. She's also not the only one. Kematu's are arguably more untenable, especially given the obvious age disparity issue for those who aren't going to withdraw into a shell of denial about what the game is presenting to the player. If a player gets deep into the lore then the whole thing becomes nonsense.
Maybe it's a little absurd that her lies are so bad, but someone who doesn't know anything about the lore will be completely deceived, from a developer's standpoint it makes sense.
It's not a little absurd. It's insanely asurd. As lies, Saadia's statements would not merely be bad, they'd be absolute nonsense. Refer to my analogy about lying to get out of dinner with your boss. What rational person is going to engage in such a pointless exercise that not only fails to further that agenda but is actually counterproductive to it? In other words why would Saadia decide "Hmm, I want to manipulate this person into helping me...I know! I'll make it super-obvious to him that I'm a liar and untrustworthy by telling him a bunch of things that are incredulous on their face. That way he won't trust me or believe a thing I said.... no... wait.... ummmm"?
As for Kematu, is it possible that something else is brewing in Hammerfell by 4E-201 ? Another Thalmor invasion ? Highly unlikely, but it just ocurred to me.
This is just desperately grasping at straws (actually it's worse because there are no straws to grasp). Putting aside that there is absolutely nothing in the lore to indicate that the Aldmeri Dominion is planning on violating the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai, even if it were that doesn't somehow resurrect a resistance movement that hasn't existed for a quarter of a century. There wouldn't be a resistance movement to repel an invasion. It would be the Hammerfell army. A resistance movement indicates the Aldmeri Dominion is already in Hammerfell controlling territory which isn't the case.

The convoluted nature of these incredibly weak arguments only underscores the obviousness of the lore mistake when one observes how credible all of the dialogues become if you shift this quest back in time by 2 decades. Suddenly it all makes sense and the moral ambiguity of the quest is established as opposed to having a situation with two batplops crazy NPCs talking absolute delusional nonsense in the context of 4E 201.

feliciano182

If a player gets deep into the lore then the whole thing becomes nonsense.

That's exactly my point, the only way you have to discern wether she's lying or not is to check back on the facts from the lore, granted, her lies in-game are pretty absurd, but it makes sense from a developer-player standpoint, or are there no people who thought Saadia was innocent without reading an in-game book ?

It's not a little absurd. It's insanely asurd. As lies, Saadia's statements would not merely be bad, they'd be absolute nonsense.

The lines were surely bad writing one way or the other, regardless, the purpose remains, it's easy for players who read in-game books to properly discern wether she's lying or not.

This is just desperately grasping at straws (actually it's worse because there are no straws to grasp).

Uhm........right, because I clearly didn't say it was highly unlikely.

I said what I said about this point because there's obvious hints to future DLC in many games, my argument was that this quest was probably hinting that something was perhaps happening that was beyond the player's sphere of knowledge, I didn't say this was the case, just that the idea ocurred to me, specially how there was talk a while ago about how "Redguard" could be DLC.

Dagmar

That's exactly my point, the only way you have to discern wether she's lying or not is to check back on the facts from the lore, granted, her lies in-game are pretty absurd, but it makes sense from a developer-player standpoint, or are there no people who thought Saadia was innocent without reading an in-game book ?
If you're aware of the lore it doesn't lead to a conclusion that she's lying, it leads to a conclusion that what she's saying is inconsistent with the lore, what Kematu is saying is inconsistent with the lore, and that the entire quest is inconsistent with the lore. It's no different then if the two of them were talking as if the Great War is still going on, or that Morrowind is still controlled by the Dunmer and the Ministry of Truth is still floating in the skies above it, or that Argonia is still part of the Empire.
The lines were surely bad writing one way or the other, regardless, the purpose remains, it's easy for players who read in-game books to properly discern wether she's lying or not.
No it's not. The quest is designed to be morally ambiguous. If a player is familiar with the lore then the only choice to reconcile what's being said by Saadia and Kematu is to temporarily suspend knowledge that it's 4E 201 and pretend that it's circa 4E 175-180 and proceed accordingly. If you do that, everything that Saadia says is plausible and everything that Kematu says is plausible. If you don't do that then nothing anyone says is plausible and the quest becomes meaningless.

Vercintorix

Well Saadia could be middle-aged. About somewhat fair size population of skyrim's middle-age women don't look that "old" considering Skyrims harsh envrionment, so she could be around mid 40's maybe atleast. Also she could of been a outspoken teen as-well(Maybe not).

As for the situation in Hammerfell. Kematu said that the resistance in Hammerfell against the Aldmeri Dominion is alive and well could mean that Hammerfell considers itself still part of the Empire since the Empire still claims Hammerfell even do it say's that Hammefell left after the Empire was going to secede southern Hammerfell. Another Possibility is that. A) Hammefell has a large Thalmor "Boot Licking" politicians in fear of another war with the Aldmeri Dominion. B) Citizens are ready to take the fight to the Thalmor or C) Thalmor are trying to invade Hammerfell using anything such as bribing, political assassinations, moving their most loyal people in to Hammerfell...ect.

But I'm leaning towards choice A and B mix. Hell, Saadia could of been one of the bribed to sell out Taneth for the Aldmeri Dominion.

Or like Ulfric, could have fought in the Great War and was captured and interrogated. Like Ulfric, She is from a Noble family.

As for the voting thing. I'm neutral leaning real.

Dagmar

Well Saadia could be middle-aged. About somewhat fair size population of skyrim's middle-age women don't look that "old" considering Skyrims harsh envrionment
Name them. The fact of the matter is you have no context to determine the age of most NPC's other than their appearance. If they look young the presumption is they're young. Here's a side by side comparison of Saadia to Kerah, who is the mother of a young child, and Rikke who would be the ideal age for Saadia for the alleged actions she took during the fall of Taneth:
8378304504_097a7c2c04_b.jpg

...so she could be around mid 40's maybe atleast.
Putting aside the fact that there's no basis to contradict that she's presented to you by the game as younger than that, Taneth fell thirty years ago so that still makes her a young adolescent and still makes Kematu's allegations incredulous.
As for the situation in Hammerfell. Kematu said that the resistance in Hammerfell against the Aldmeri Dominion is alive and well could mean....
...none of the wildly speculative things you posited as they all contradict the lore. The lore establishes that Hammerfell doesn't consider itself a part of the Empire. Everything else you fabricated, notwithstanding that it's wholly unsupported by the lore and game content, is completely irrelevant to the fact that the term "resistance in Hammerfell" has a fixed meaning in the lore of the resistance to the Aldmeri Dominion's occupation of the province after the Empire signed the White-Gold Concordat and renounced Hammerfell. If one knows the lore, one has to be deliberately obtuse to engage in the act of self-delusion that Kematu's reference to the resistance is a reference to anything else, and makes absolutely no sense unless the resistance actually still exists, i.e. the Aldmeri Dominion still occupies portions of Hammerfell making the year circa 4E 175-180.
Hell, Saadia could of been one of the bribed to sell out Taneth for the Aldmeri Dominion.
The fall of Taneth occurred three decades ago. Bribing a child isn't going to be instrumental in taking a city.
Or like Ulfric, could have fought in the Great War and was captured and interrogated. Like Ulfric, She is from a Noble family.
Interrogating a child isn't going to yield information giving the Aldmeri Dominion a decisive strategic advantage in taking the city.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Well Dagmar, any ways to rationalize that quest then :D ?

She said that this quest was created in the context of Skyrim occurring during the Thalmor invasion of Hammerfell, 30-some years ago.

Dagmar

I got that, I'm just saying how can one possibly reconcile the quest happening in 4E-201.
You can't. It's a mistake on the developers part which I pointed out several posts ago. Historical information and game content were being developed simultaneously so when the final timeline for events was established with the The Great War: A Concise Account of the Great War Between the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion the production of this quest may have already been finished and never revised to reflect the decision to have Hammerfell free of occupation by the Aldmeri Dominion. Large open environment games are vulnerable to this kind of inconsistency, especially when they're rushed to meet a release date.

doc108

Beth recently renewed their patent on the name that falls under downloadable content over internet and mobile devices. If we follow the same for Dawnguard and Hearthfire then this could be our next DLC.

Personally I thought a trip to Cyrodil or an area near it would be our next dlc with Hammerfell being the last. You're probably asking "why hammerfell?"

well for a few reasons:
-The Alikhi'r warriors quest could have been an easy foreshadowing effect, just like the orphanage and the vigilant of stendar building.
-Guards constantly talk about the Hammerfell warriors' swords
-One of the gate paths of skyrim is known as the Hammerfell/Skyrim gate (the one on the left)

Here's why I thought it'd be near the last DLC though, I figure Cyrodil would bring up more Alyid ruins quest as well maybe a quest or two with Jygaalag - SPOILER: since if you run into Sheo in Skyrim, he does make mention about being the champion of cyrodil (If I remember correctly) - which would state the events of Shivering isles really took place, meaning Jyg is now free.

Why does it makes sense that Hammerfell would be the next place though?

because if Beth wants to go even further with the war, then do remember that the Adlmeri Dominion struck Hammerfell very hard as well and very recent.

on a side note, I would love for them to bring up the Yondulain (however you spell the name of the island that Redguards were native to before it went under the ocean so they migrated to Hammerfell) for the Argonians. It would make a very nice Atlantis type city for the race that can breath underwater. - and let's face it, beast races needs more love. I don't even play as beast races much (because my main saves are all related to my original hero from morrowind as I roleplay) and I know they need more attention - yeesh.

On my last side note, I wish the High elves of the dominion would make more comments about Bretons. Bretons are essentially Man Elf descendants so I would guess they'd make snood "lower race" remarks especially to them, like calling them clones or flawed copies of their greatness.

DISCUSS MY FELLOW DOVAHS! (and my awesome wolf blooded members!)
What are the gate paths of Skyrim?

Phoenix Knight

Unofficial awesome dude
Have we considered that Saadia and Kematu are both lying? They could both be twisting the truth to make themselves seem like the good guy to the playing character, this means that to believe either would confuse people. If they're both lying then none of their information should be taken for truth, meaning that he arguments many of you have made would be null and void by the fact that none of the information is true or consistent with the world's lore.