How did you come across Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wildroses

I used to be a junior moderator in charge of a general entertainment forum in the forum of an online game (had to resign due to busy life). When Skyrim came out, there was a thread on it, and I had to read it to make sure no one was breaking any rules. Normally after a few weeks threads about newly released games die down, but the Skyrim one didn't. It kept having to be remade as it would hit the maximum page limit. And I'd have to read all the posts carefully to make sure they weren't breaking any rules.

After a while, as a result of reading all those posts I became interested in the game. The turning point was in January when someone said they got married but their wife ran away after the ceremony and they hadn't seen her since. In all the advice and subsequent discussion of characters they married, I thought: "Wait, it's possible to get married in this game? That's different. I've never heard of a game that was so open and let you do that. Maybe it's worth giving a try."

So next time I was in an area of town with a game shop, I walked in to see if they had it and check the price, then walked out without buying it. A few weeks later I was in that area again, and I decided to buy Skyrim.

Then Skyrim sat on my desk ignored and uninstalled for a couple of months as I got distracted by life.

A couple of months later I had a teenage houseguest who saw the game and insisted I install it. We had a blast watching each other play (mostly because he was good and I was bad. It took me a while to become proficient at walking around and jumping. Took me seven goes to jump into the inn. Teenage houseguest literally put his head on the desk at one point). When he left, I kept playing it. I spent several months just doing all the quests I could find (that didn't cross my moral event horizon). Then I started playing as NPC style characters who ignored all the quests and wandered Skyrim hunting and picking flowers. Then I started roleplaying. And now, here I am.

Aniratak

I used to be a junior moderator in charge of a general entertainment forum in the forum of an online game (had to resign due to busy life). When Skyrim came out, there was a thread on it, and I had to read it to make sure no one was breaking any rules. Normally after a few weeks threads about newly released games die down, but the Skyrim one didn't. It kept having to be remade as it would hit the maximum page limit. And I'd have to read all the posts carefully to make sure they weren't breaking any rules.

After a while, as a result of reading all those posts I became interested in the game. The turning point was in January when someone said they got married but their wife ran away after the ceremony and they hadn't seen her since. In all the advice and subsequent discussion of characters they married, I thought: "Wait, it's possible to get married in this game? That's different. I've never heard of a game that was so open and let you do that. Maybe it's worth giving a try."

So next time I was in an area of town with a game shop, I walked in to see if they had it and check the price, then walked out without buying it. A few weeks later I was in that area again, and I decided to buy Skyrim.

Then Skyrim sat on my desk ignored and uninstalled for a couple of months as I got distracted by life.

A couple of months later I had a teenage houseguest who saw the game and insisted I install it. We had a blast watching each other play (mostly because he was good and I was bad. It took me a while to become proficient at walking around and jumping. Took me seven goes to jump into the inn. Teenage houseguest literally put his head on the desk at one point). When he left, I kept playing it. I spent several months just doing all the quests I could find (that didn't cross my moral event horizon). Then I started playing as NPC style characters who ignored all the quests and wandered Skyrim hunting and picking flowers. Then I started roleplaying. And now, here I am.

Great story! It's fun to read up on how people came across the game. Alot just got into it by chance, as I did- Skyrim works in mysterious ways! Or marketing works in different ways, potato tomato.. :Dragonborn:

Metalhead

I play xbox, and I have a friend who plays Skyrim on the xbox.. and I always see her playing it, every time I open up my friends list there she is on damn Skyrim. Out of all 80 or so friends I have on xbox live she is the only one that is on that game every time I get online. I was bored of Black Ops II in early January so I sent her a message out of curiosity asking if Skyrim was any good, she replied "it's not just good it's honestly the best game i have ever played :D". I asked her if it ever got boring she said "not for me" so I decided to search up some gameplay footage on YouTube, then eventually I went from watching Skyrim gameplay to Skyrim machinimas and stuff. The game looked amazingly sexy lol, but I was still deciding weather to spend $50 on it or just not get it at all.

I wasn't sure if I had to play Oblivion or any of the other TES to understand Skyrim/TES, but when I invited my friend to private chat and asked her if I should play Oblivion first she said there's really no need to because Skyrim's main plot/story doesn't really link up or follow on from Oblivion. So I spent 2 more months deciding weather to get it or not, I was so bored of Black Ops II that I haven't played it since mid January, I am currently like 5 levels off 'Master Prestige', doubt i'll ever be bothered to get on that game and actually level up lol.

A couple of days ago I finally picked up Skyrim, got it for $50 and I have yet to play it. I'm going to play it soon and God am I excited hahaha!

AS88

Staff member
I wonder if it feels like a real add on to the game. Or if it looks a bit off.. I suppose it depends on the mod. What does the realistic animals do? Does it add more animals? Maybe I should make a list too! Something to look forward to. Do you know if there is a webpage that sums up all the mods?

I think the idea for a lot of them is to just seamlessly disappear into the game, so you pretty much forget you have until you think "the water looks nice........ ohhhhh yyeeaaahhhh" :p

If you google Skyrim GEMS, there's a website with a run-down of some of the highest-rated mods out there. A lot of the mod authors make reference to it if their mod does well and is recognised. Some of the mods on my list came from trawling that website :)

Aniratak

I play xbox, and I have a friend who plays Skyrim on the xbox.. and I always see her playing it, every time I open up my friends list there she is on damn Skyrim. Out of all 80 or so friends I have on xbox live she is the only one that is on that game every time I get online. I was bored of Black Ops II in early January so I sent her a message out of curiosity asking if Skyrim was any good, she replied "it's not just good it's honestly the best game i have ever played :D". I asked her if it ever got boring she said "not for me" so I decided to search up some gameplay footage on YouTube, then eventually I went from watching Skyrim gameplay to Skyrim machinimas and stuff. The game looked amazingly sexy lol, but I was still deciding weather to spend $50 on it or just not get it at all.

I wasn't sure if I had to play Oblivion or any of the other TES to understand Skyrim/TES, but when I invited my friend to private chat and asked her if I should play Oblivion first she said there's really no need to because Skyrim's main plot/story doesn't really link up or follow on from Oblivion. So I spent 2 more months deciding weather to get it or not, I was so bored of Black Ops II that I haven't played it since mid January, I am currently like 5 levels off 'Master Prestige', doubt i'll ever be bothered to get on that game and actually level up lol.

A couple of days ago I finally picked up Skyrim, got it for $50 and I have yet to play it. I'm going to play it soon and God am I excited hahaha!

Wow! So you just recently bought it and haven't tried it yet? Thats great! I envy you! You have a whole lot of fun ahed of you! Let me know what you think then! =)

Metalhead

Wow! So you just recently bought it and haven't tried it yet? Thats great! I envy you! You have a whole lot of fun ahed of you! Let me know what you think then! =)

Yep! I've had the game for a few days and haven't had the time to play it, I have a 3 days off from work so I intend to no-life it for those 3 days :D I said I was going to play it "soon" but it's been a few hours since I made the decision that I was going to play it tonight.. but I can't bring myself to it lol, I want to see how long I can gold to before I end up being like "Screw it! Time to play." and then aggressively putting the disc in hahahaha. Oh and i'll let you know what I think after a few days of playing it :D

Aniratak

Yep! I've had the game for a few days and haven't had the time to play it, I have a 3 days off from work so I intend to no-life it for those 3 days :D I said I was going to play it "soon" but it's been a few hours since I made the decision that I was going to play it tonight.. but I can't bring myself to it lol, I want to see how long I can gold to before I end up being like "Screw it! Time to play." and then aggressively putting the disc in hahahaha. Oh and i'll let you know what I think after a few days of playing it :D

Cool! Good luck with starting a new game=) Have you thought of what race you want to play? It's perhaps a bit early to decide on such matters..

Metalhead

Cool! Good luck with starting a new game=) Have you thought of what race you want to play? It's perhaps a bit early to decide on such matters..
Thanks xD
as a matter of fact; I made a thread in the Introductions section and I asked for tips on what race I should chose and who I should go with at the start of the game after the dragon attacks, someone convinced me to become a Nord and go with 'Ralof' :D

Aniratak

Thanks xD
as a matter of fact; I made a thread in the Introductions section and I asked for tips on what race I should chose and who I should go with at the start of the game after the dragon attacks, someone convinced me to become a Nord and go with 'Ralof' :D

I always play as a Nord. I think it's because Skyrim is the home of the nords. And they are 50% resistent to frost damage. I think thats cool. Another tip is to pick up alot of the things you find in the beguinning (armor, weapons, potions, perhaps some food), and figure out how the navigation system works. I spent some time figuring that out as I had not played any of the TES games before. At the beguinning it can sometimes be a bit confusing, but don't worry about that. You'll figure it out soon enough!

But how you play it is always up to you! There are many ways to play the game, and you have to choose what you think is the most fun way.

Metalhead

I always play as a Nord. I think it's because Skyrim is the home of the nords. And they are 50% resistent to frost damage. I think thats cool. Another tip is to pick up alot of the things you find in the beguinning (armor, weapons, potions, perhaps some food), and figure out how the navigation system works. I spent some time figuring that out as I had not played any of the TES games before. At the beguinning it can sometimes be a bit confusing, but don't worry about that. You'll figure it out soon enough!

But how you play it is always up to you! There are many ways to play the game, and you have to choose what you think is the most fun way.

Thanks for the tips :) I did research on the Nords of Skyrim and I don't think I could ever play as any other race after reading a lot of things about Nords.

I remember reading a couple of reviews that intrigued me. I was never interested in FPS games, but had been an old-time role player when there was no realtime component to combat. Some of the videos that were posted blew me away with their detail and quality, though I was worried about whether my limited dexterity could handle some of the actions they were showing (once I got the game I found out these were built-in death scenes that didn't require me to do anything). What finally made me buy it was a comment that it would appeal to those who loved the Myst series, which I had loved. Great decision, except for several hundred hours lost from my life.

Aniratak

I remember reading a couple of reviews that intrigued me. I was never interested in FPS games, but had been an old-time role player when there was no realtime component to combat. Some of the videos that were posted blew me away with their detail and quality, though I was worried about whether my limited dexterity could handle some of the actions they were showing (once I got the game I found out these were built-in death scenes that didn't require me to do anything). What finally made me buy it was a comment that it would appeal to those who loved the Myst series, which I had loved. Great decision, except for several hundred hours lost from my life.

several hours lost in real life --> several hours gained in Skyrim-life! :Dragonborn:

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

I started with Morrowind years after it came out. That made me fall in love with the series. Then I got Oblivion, and loved it even more. So it was no surprise to ANYONE among my family and friends that I got Skyrim the first chance I got. I even got it the first day it was out.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I've always had an issue finding games that I really like and am really pretty new to gaming. I ran across the Lord of the Rings: War in the North game about a year ago and was obsessed with it so I thought I'd look for something else that would be in the same genre.

My other 1/2 plays games constantly and has a subscription to Game Informer magazine and I ran across an article about Skyrim in it and thought it looked interesting. After a little more research, I broke down and bought it.

Best purchase ever! I'm in a month and a 1/2 now and still obsessed (50-60 hours a week!). Now I need the DLC's.

Questions though: Should I go ahead and invest in the 1st 4 Elder Scrolls games as well? Are there any others by Bethesda in the same genre?

I played morrowind first then oblivion they were amazing games, I tried to play Oblivion again but I couldnt the graphics r terrible compared to Skyrim all I could think of when playing it is Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim. but maybe u could get past the graphics and u have never played it so u would be in for a treat.

Aniratak

I played morrowind first then oblivion they were amazing games, I tried to play Oblivion again but I couldnt the graphics r terrible compared to Skyrim all I could think of when playing it is Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim. but maybe u could get past the graphics and u have never played it so u would be in for a treat.

I played Oblivion for a few hours last week. What is up with that thing were they always zoom in on faces when you are talking? And the fighting system is a bit static.. Thats what I thought was to most hard thing to go backwards on.. It really makes it difficult if you are used to Skyrim.

SkyOracle

my first elder scrolls game was oblivion.. there was a guy in my school who was interested in games which have swords. I was talking with another guy at that time in the next seat. then suddenly I heard he was talking about something interesting I meant it likes a movie. I asked him what was it. he then introduced oblivion to me. I have never brought the game by myself he just gave his to me and I installed it in my computer and returned to him. it was a pirated one of course he never buys anything and I didn't want either because I just wanted to test it out first before spending my money. then I played it a couple of times and found it's really interesting. so I told it to my dad and he bought me Oblivion ,Shivering Isles, Knight of the Nine all Expansions. I was pretty much late when I buy oblivion but still I enjoyed playing it. then I searched on the Internet about the next version and found there was something called Skyrim. since then I was waiting for Skyrim and bought it right after it's released in Steam. but I think Skyrim is boring. Oblivion is quite interesting and eyecandy . Skyrim looks dull and gloomy. so I stop playing it a couple of days ago and now intend to go back to Kingdom of Amaluar Reckoning.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I played Oblivion for a few hours last week. What is up with that thing were they always zoom in on faces when you are talking? And the fighting system is a bit static.. Thats what I thought was to most hard thing to go backwards on.. It really makes it difficult if you are used to Skyrim.

Yea the combat is very static, It was just really hard for me to get back into, I played at least 1000hrs before Skyrim was released so it was my fav game for a long time, when I play it I just think Why am I not playing Skyrim when it has so much more to it, its a shame really but I wish people who's first Elder scrolls was Skyrim that they played Oblivion first so they could appreciate it as much as when it was game of the year. What I miss about Oblivion 3 things stand out 1. I miss the greenery I dont like to many mountains and all that snow in Skyrim I tend to stick to falkreath/Whiterun and the Rift holds its just more pleasant in the plains than the mountains for me. 2. the hotkeys system was amazing I could switch weapons instantly now we have that terrible system called the favrites menu that pauses the game and that can take 10 seconds if u have a huge list to scroll threw. 3. I liked the musical score alot more. those are the three main things for me, Im taking a guess as to the next Elder scrolls being in either Valenwood or Elswyr nice greenery in each for me Tropical/forests the reason I think that is because after the snow of Skyrim I think they would do opposite climates. plus I cant see them doing Hammerfell or Highrock as that would mean 3 human provinces in a row if they pickd one of them. 3 games ago it was Morrowind Dunmer so they have done elves lately maybe next game is the beast races turn to have a go. oops a little of topic probably lol.

jonathan90

well known member
Well, I just bought Skyrim randomly and thinking that it was just like any other game.But later when I first started playing it, I really found out that it was NOT like any other game indeed. It was the most best game with upgrades and perks I have ever played and I loved it, with the way the improvement system was. It's such a awsome cool game to play....That I still play it and can never stop!!!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts