The Female, Male Demographic of Skyrim Players

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

OrexxerO

This forum has a pretty unique, in a good way, thing going for it over plenty of other forums who probably have a female demographic but as some of the ladies have said they hide behind a masculine mask so as not to basically be verbally abused by some desperate idiot in his basement.

Im just glad I found these forums because of that.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I've stopped playing Xbox games online due to the number of annoying teenage kids that act so terrible to girl gamers. As a teenage boy myself, I seem to be the only one that likes to see girls playing video games.

I don't get why everyone likes to verbally destroy them... almost all of the kids that talk so much trash online couldn't even be in the same room with actual girls without feeling uncomfortable.

you would think guys would enjoy seeing the opposite sex enjoy the same things they do.

I would think it would be kickass for my girlfriend to play and talk about video games with me.

Moris

I've stopped playing Xbox games online due to the number of annoying teenage kids that act so terrible to girl gamers. As a teenage boy myself, I seem to be the only one that likes to see girls playing video games.

I don't get why everyone likes to verbally destroy them... almost all of the kids that talk so much trash online couldn't even be in the same room with actual girls without feeling uncomfortable.

you would think guys would enjoy seeing the opposite sex enjoy the same things they do.

I would think it would be kickass for my girlfriend to play and talk about video games with me.

Well, you're a grown-up. :)

Gunnbjorn

Well, you're a grown-up. :)

Thank you, I'm almost saddened to grow up with the generation I am in due to the increase in stupidity.

But seriously, there is no need for masks on these forums. This is the first forum website I have ever been apart of, I have seen other ones and none of them can compare to the intelligent, mature members that make the Skyrim Forums. I will have a tough time finding another community to be a part of that is equally as mature.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Of course, there are fantasy games that aren't female friendly. I used to play pen and paper rpgs. There were companies like Avalanche press that tried to sell every product they made with half-nude women on the covers.

Have you by any chance seen the box art for the very first Elder Scrolls game?

256px-Elder_Scrolls_Arena_Cover.jpg

Honestly, I think it's hilarious. I'm also fairly certain that no such lady actually exists in the game itself. But it also saddens me to see it and the many, many others that use similar tactics. And then, when I think about it, it also amazes me to see exactly how far this particular franchise has progressed in terms of advertising and views toward women.

Also, a surprising number of other games don't give you the option to play as a girl. This didn't used to bother me before I played Oblivion. But as soon as I realized how much better it was to be able to RP my own gender, I stopped playing anything else that doesn't give me that option.

I've recently come to the realization that out of all the games I've recently played, the only ones in which I played as a female were the ones in which I was the one designing my own character. >.< It's a sad state of affairs. While I don't mind playing as a male, so long as the game's story is well-written and the character, interesting, I would so love, love the gaming industry to come up with more unique, not terribly sexualized female protagonists. Literally the only one that comes to mind is Chell from Portal, a shining, glorious example if ever there were one, in quite possibly the most perfectly written series of games I've ever seen myself, to boot.

Chell-crouch.jpg

agfazzone

Professional Sweetroll Taster
My husband bought the game and I had only played a few games in the past..left 4 dead games and I tried Halo..I never had a big interest because I didn't really see anything that REALLY caught my eye. I'd play WITH people but never by myself on my own time.but as I watched him play Skyrim from the beginning it I noticed a few things.
1.I really liked the medieval setting. Shooting games are ok but I loved the idea of fighting with bows, swords, and magic! I've always been interested in medieval stuff.
2.the insanely awesome graphics(being a graphics student at the time). Graphics have a lot to do with my interest in a game, lol.Weird, I know.
3.the interesting storyline. I liked that, and that the game isn't overly profane and the women aren't oversexualized. The people aren't all insanely good looking,..it all just seems real.
4.the rpg open-world style. I prefer this to games where you have to just sit and shoot at something a billion times til either it dies or you die, and if you die, respawn and try again and again and again. Darn buttonmashers!!!! lol. in skyrim you can just run away if you can't beat someone, or reload to before you got into trouble and avoid it..
5.and of course the character customization. Yes I spent a while customizing my characters' faces. It must be the girl in me, liking hair and makeup and all that stuff. I also used to play the Sims, and Skyrim (especially after Hearthfire came out) reminds me of the sims but cooler! haha!

So, once my husband let me make my first character I was HOOKED. this game is so addictive. I never expected to love it this much....it's strange, I can't explain it. I play it more than he does!
Skyrim is still the only game I play on my own free time but it has me wanting to try other games such as the fable, far cry, dishonored and such.

I also think it's awesome that there are so many other girls on this forum...I was hesitant to join b/c of how I see girls treated by some guy gamers on online gaming such as call of duty or halo(another reason I never got into playing online haha), but this forum is a great change of pace!!! yay!

OrexxerO

Yeah, it is funny the differences between men and women and what they find interesting in just Skyrim. For example you saying you took a long time with your character creation, I think some guys spend SOME time but we usually don't care nearly as much. A girl I was interested in started playing Skyrim at my house one day and yeah, she took a long time on the character creation part of it.

Also, I found this video on youtube awsome :)

Moris

Yeah, it is funny the differences between men and women and what they find interesting in just Skyrim. For example you saying you took a long time with your character creation, I think some guys spend SOME time but we usually don't care nearly as much. A girl I was interested in started playing Skyrim at my house one day and yeah, she took a long time on the character creation part of it.

I think you may just be generalizing a bit too readily. Tons of mods out there made primarily by males to change npcs and player characters, their faces, their bodies, their hair, their clothing. They aren't doing this just to satisfy female fans, I guarantee it. People always say men are supposed to be "more visual" anyway. LOL.

OrexxerO

I would be more ignorant of that part of the game anyways, since I don't have the PC version. So i haven't spent a ton of time noticing mods since im on the xbox version, so when I talk thats what I am seeing it from.

Moris

I would be more ignorant of that part of the game anyways, since I don't have the PC version. So i haven't spent a ton of time noticing mods since im on the xbox version, so when I talk thats what I am seeing it from.

Well, you're seeing it from the experience of a console user who's had a few friends over.

But again, judging from the sheer enormity of the mods that alter the physical appearance of characters, I'd say there are just as many men concerned with the appearance of their characters, if not more.

I'm guessing that not many women care about making sure their female player character has huge boobs and a curvy ass and wears extremely skimpy and impractical armor, either. But this seems quite popular in the modding community.

OrexxerO

Not many women care about making sure their female player character has huge boobs and a curvy ass and wears extremely skimpy and impractical armor, either. But this seems quite popular in the modding community.

I mean, I do care about how my character looks but not overly so. But it did seem like the girl that I had over that played skyrim did seem to care a bit more then me.

And I actually get offended sometimes as a guy when it seems like we are all expected to want that kind of impracticality with women in games. Even today, with things getting better.

Moris

I mean, I do care about how my character looks but not overly so. But it did seem like the girl that I had over that played skyrim did seem to care a bit more then me.

And I actually get offended sometimes as a guy when it seems like we are all expected to want that kind of impracticality with women in games. Even today, with things getting better.

All I'm saying is, your experience with one or two girls doesn't make it a trend which you can expect to apply to other people. ;)

OrexxerO

True Moris. and I wasn't trying to do that so let me make myself clear and let you know I wasn't trying to generalize women in any way or a particular group, I was talking purely from my opinion is all.

Moris

True Moris. and I wasn't trying to do that so let me make myself clear and let you know I wasn't trying to generalize women in any way or a particular group, I was talking purely from my opinion is all.

I got it from your mentioning "the differences between men and women". It's a phrase ripe with pitfalls!

Yeah, I got on your case too hard. Rereading, it's apparent you meant no harm. And you did say, "some guys" and "we usually" and I should have given you credit for that.

Zyphur

I'm a transsexual. I play all kinds of games, but I usually avoid first-person shooters. Skyrim is an exception because I can switch back and forth whenever I want, lol

The reason I was actually drawn to Skyrim is because I heard you could get married :3 lol. I love romance in RPG's, like in lots of Bioware games. Now that I've played Skyrim though it's rly fun, it's helped me expand my horizon to Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3, but I'm not really crazy far in those lol.

Gunnbjorn

I got it from your mentioning "the differences between men and women". It's a phrase ripe with pitfalls!

Yeah, I got on your case too hard. Rereading, it's apparent you meant no harm. And you did say, "some guys" and "we usually" and I should have given you credit for that.

images

Mannulus

Article Writer
Before I decided to become homosexual, the guys I use to date were not that into gaming, except like one or two. It was weird because I grew up with the Nintendo 64 and so on, and as such a lot of my discussions with them were about Mario or Barbarian on the PS2. The looks I got :c

Back to the Skyrim topic, I like it because of the lack of over sexualized female characters. Seriously, women can wear more than skin tight rubber/spandex that covers only 25% of their body or less. In Skyrim you can find well dressed women, armored women, raggy women, etc etc etc. No gimp like B.S.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Before going homosexual, the guys I dated were not that into gaming, except like one or two. It was weird because I grew up with the Nintendo 64 and so on, and as such a lot of my discussions with them were about Mario or Barbarian on the PS2. The looks I got :c

Back to the Skyrim topic, I like it because of the lack of over sexualized female characters. Seriously, women can wear more than skin tight rubber/spandex that covers only 25% of their body or less. In Skyrim you can find well dressed women, armored women, raggy women, etc etc etc. No gimp like B.S.

You turned guys homosexual? WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM :p