Tamriel's real world equivalents (your opinion)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mad-God Rigamortis TuDoap

Rogue Extraordinaire
In real history Britons once spoke Breton so I would put Bretons into a British or English stature, and in other countries Norse men were sometimes called Nords so that would be true. The rest is still up for grabs though, RedGuards could be from Africa but in early TES games they had red skin and weren't entirely black, so they could be arab. I Think they based the human characters on ancient beliefs but the other character types are completely fictional with no relevance to any race at all. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion, who knows, maybe all elven characters are chinese because there are so many different types of oriental backgrounds. Other than that I would just leave it based as completely fictional and kill some dragons.

XbSuper

Well not all nazeis are german they are a political party that is in England and America although there now called neo nazeis

I'm aware of that, but he is separating the two into different races. Nazis were German (I don't care what they are now, I'm just trying to make a point) so you cannot compare the two to different races. The difference is only in their beliefs, and what they fight for. Thalmor are Altmer, so whatever race the Altmer are compared to, so must the Thalmor.

It's interesting that the Altmer are from Somerset Isles yet there accent is nothing like Somerset England. The typical Somerset English accent is more like pirates.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
I'm aware of that, but he is separating the two into different races. Nazis were German (I don't care what they are now, I'm just trying to make a point) so you cannot compare the two to different races. The difference is only in their beliefs, and what they fight for. Thalmor are Altmer, so whatever race the Altmer are compared to, so must the Thalmor.
To that I say that there where small nazie party's in England and USA before world war two. They were outlawed latter. Also the talmar have wood elves in there ranks.

Valen Dreth

I agree with most the original post, but I have a different point of view in relation to the Jews. I think the Jews may be likened to the High Elves, and the Thalmor to the Zionists. While there are many good and tolerant High Elves, there are a number that have given way to racism and bigotry. This can be likened to the writings in the Talmud and to the like of Moses Maimonides. This racism has taken the form of a political ideology which seeks to conquer (Thalmor-Zionism). The Khajiits can be likened to the Palestinian Arabs who are now under the rule of a racist, High Elven (Israeli) regime.

Just my .02

xaraan

I always thought most of this was common sense.. Nords = Norse, Bretons = Britons, Imperials = Romans.

Although I don't think the fantasy races have as direct a parallel as the human ones.

And I don't know about Khajiit being middle easternish... the Redguards seem to be closer to this and the Khajiit homeland is more jungle and steppe than straight up desert from what I've seen in the game.

Don't forget that the Khajit accent is more like Spanish or some kind of generic Romance language dialect.

Something else about Redguards as they appear in skyrim... Arabesque garb doesn't necessarily mean Arab culture. Sub-Saharan Africans who used trade routes across the Sahara wore garb like that to survive the Sahara--not to take on Arab culture. Unlike other parts of Africa in the middle ages, West Africans kept African names for their cities-- Timbuktu and Djenne are two examples, whereas North Africans and Southeast Africans had Arab names for their cities. Arab swords were also all the rage outside of Europe and do not necessarily indicate Arab culture, they were a popular item to buy and use; even in West Africa.

Vercintorix

I do agree with the Dark Elves being in relation to the Jewish people I.E Diaspora. I do think the Imperials have a British empire like influence. Like the East Empire trading company. I think Elves are portrayed as more of Elves of Fantasy but I see real world connections.

Like the Bosmer being Native Americans since their land was annexed by the Thalmor and being "Altmerized" or any term you like to use.

Om1n0uzOmar008

It's obvious that the people and plances of Tamriel are based on real places and people in our world. Here is how I see the 10 races and their homelands.

People...
Imperials= Romans
Bretons= French
Nords= Vikings
Redguards= Africans
Khajiits= Arabs
Argonians= Native Americans (possibly Aztecs)
Altmer= British
Dunmer= Jewish
Bosmer= Celtic
Orcs= Mongolians
Thalmor= The Third Reich

Places...
Imperial City= City of Rome
Cyrodiil= Italy
High Rock= France
Skyrim= Scandonavia
Hammerfell= Africa
Elsweyr= Middle East
Black Marsh= Central America
Summerset Isles= Great Britan

What do you think are the real world equivelents of Tamriel's people and places?
well i deffinitely agree with you on the cyrodillians beiong romans, and breton=french, nords= scandinavians, redguards=africans, kahjiit idk and neither argonian or the pother e;lven races but im pretty sure the dunmer culture resembles the aztecs

Om1n0uzOmar008

We are all sure of the fact that:
Imperials=Romans
Bretons=French (due to their french ingame names and the real life breton ppl in northwestern france)
Redguards=africans
Nords= Scandinavians

The other eleven races and argonian and khajiit im not sure but i highly doubt the dunmer resemble the Jews and heres why, if you guys ever had the chance of playing The Elder scrolls 3: Morrowind, it takes place in the land of the dunmer. They are the ones who created the ebony and glass armors from red mountain, a volcano in their homeland and imported it all over the empire. The aztecs of mexico did the same creating blades out of obsidian, a volcanic hard glass.

perkecet

how could you twist breton into "briton" and say they're british when they have french names and breton is the name of a sect of french people, as well as a language? 0_o

Xivia4

I don't see Skyrim as being Scandinavia. The Nords are not it's original inhabitants. Also, I think the Khajiits are more like the Romani people.

Xarnac

No. In the end there are similarities and influences, but no race is a representation of a real world one. The closest though is Imperial and Romans/Nords and Scandinavians. That is a given. Oh, and the Dunmer are influenced by the Japanese and other Asian cultures, not Jews. High Rock is also nothing like France as nobody there has French names, or is there any "French" influence. Bretons received the French zeitgeist treatment later, outside of High Rock. For all we know the whole French theme is something only practiced by Bretons that left the High Rock/Daggerfall area.

Lucas Cowen

I like the Idea of Orcs as Mongolians (especially since they remind me visually of mongols in skyrim)

Me personally

Kahjiit: Mesopotamian, so like Iraq. I think because of their names the "warm sands" quote and very Persian accents (pun not entirely intended) and the gypsy caravans remind me of the Kurdish.
Redgaurd: would be similar to kahjiit but I'd say more like Egypt, scimitars and the headdresses all still apply.
Orcs: like I said Mongolian, they're nomads with a very large focus on tribal hierarchy.
Breton: Celts for sure, they don't seem french to me but for seaside france maybe, My main thought is they are from High Rock which makes me think they are highlanders, that and magic, because I know for sure Ireland has a very large history of fairy tale and such things. so surrounding areas around Britain and some parts of England.
Imperial: well Rome was one of the first imperialist societies right that, the clothing, and the "legates" and very olden sounding names indicates rome.
Nords: vikings, I shouldn't need explain, even Draugr is a Swedish word.
Argonians: I think of rainforest and murky places, I would think southern america like brazil maybe aztecs but I can't even say for sure, could be southeast asian too i suppose.

Elves: I think it would be a safe bet to say the elven races would be very close together which makes it hard to pin down for me. the High elves remind me of British very uppity posh British, dark elves maybe Russia for lack of a better place and wood elves maybe the keibler factory in london.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts