warrior build, getting owned

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

elias

Hey guys.

So I recently started a new character, which is intended to be a warrior build. I'm at around level 13 and I am still getting completely destroyed by everything. Bandits and wolves are simple enough to kill, but sabre cats mow me down easily, as do bandit chiefs, forsworn foragers, and falmer gloomlurkers. In fact, I can't even take on 3 Falmer at a time when by myself.

I've got perks in heavy armour, one handed, smithing, alchemy, sneak, and archery. Sneak and archery are only in there because I was getting destroyed early on.

But still, even with what seems like the right perks, I can't guarantee a safe foot travel from Whiterun to dawnstar.

What am I doing wrong?

JoeReese

I couldn't speculate on what you're doing wrong, but there are lots of different factors involved.

I would suggest making as much use of upsmithing and enchanting as possible, and make potions aplenty.

Try mixing any of canis root, imp stool, or swamp fungal pod, briar heart, or human flesh, for a paralysis potion. Keep a few on you at all times, for those bandit chiefs, etc.

Deathbell and red mountain flower are the most common/easiest to find for a damage potion. Death Bell and River Betty will give you a slow plus damage.

Between those and your standard fortify health and regenerate health potions, it should help you quite a bit.

Lucid

Are you doing any blocking? Are you comfortable with your difficulty level on other build types? If so, maybe consider dialing back your difficulty until you have a better handle on a warrior fighting approach/style and perk distribution that works for you.

elias

This is actually my first master run. But I feel like I could play as a mage or thief pretty easily.

As for blocking, long story short I have tendonitis in my left hand, so I physically cant block (Xbox controller). However, I always carry a shield.

JoeReese

Lucid brings up a good point. With blocking comes shield bash, an invaluable tool. You don't need to spend a perk on the power bash, just hit both buttons at once and give them a little jaw love, stuns them for a second and lets you set up a good power swing.

With 1H/shield, I usually go in with a shield bash, then do a 1H combo. Tap the button once, then tap and hold. It does a slash/power combo, so you get two hits for one. It kills your stamina, but it's effective. Get in, bash, attack, get out, and let them swing and miss, then hit them up again.

Lucid

I think that blocking is key for a warrior build whether using one or two handed weapons. This combat style puts you in melee range almost all the time. Can you switch blocking to a different button? If not, I would think about sticking with ranged weapons and magic.

JoeReese

This is actually my first master run. But I feel like I could play as a mage or thief pretty easily.

As for blocking, long story short I have tendonitis in my left hand, so I physically cant block (Xbox controller). However, I always carry a shield.
Crap, I was typing when you posted this. Maybe you could remap your controls, so one of the other buttons will block for you?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

Might I recommend a two-handed weapon? carrying a shield and not using it is useless unless it has enchantments on it. To me your lowering your damage output for no good reason. Blocking is still important but if you physically cant do it than attack with as much power as possible...

elias

Might I recommend a two-handed weapon? carrying a shield and not using it is useless unless it has enchantments on it. To me your lowering your damage output for no good reason. Blocking is still important but if you physically cant do it than attack with as much power as possible...

If i were to switch to two handed weapons, what would you reccomend me to use? I'm currently playing with war axes. I'm worried that two handed weapons might be too slow.

Lucid

LOL, I'm slow tonight it seems. Touche, Lucid.

Maybe too fast? :) By the time I got each of my earlier posts in, you had gotten one in ahead of me.

elias

Also, I don't really have much experience with enchanting. It seems like it would be a waste of effort, considering that I wouldn't be able to make powerful stuff until late in the game (when I will probably already have everything under control).

JoeReese

Forgive if this sounds insensitive, but is it that you can't hit the left button at all, or just a bit slower with it? If it's a speed/timing issue, you may fare a little better with flames in the left hand...give them a short burst as you attack, so they take more damage.

Lucid

Skyrim two handed weapon table:

Weapon type; Attacks per second; Relative damage
Greatsword; 0.7; +0
Battle Axe; 0.7; +1
Warhammer; 0.6; +3

JoeReese

Also, I don't really have much experience with enchanting. It seems like it would be a waste of effort, considering that I wouldn't be able to make powerful stuff until late in the game (when I will probably already have everything under control).
It doesn't need to be powerful. I've made flame enchantments that only add 8 pts to a sword, early in game, but it helps a lot because they burn for a few sec and take more damage.

elias

Forgive if this sounds insensitive, but is it that you can't hit the left button at all, or just a bit slower with it? If it's a speed/timing issue, you may fare a little better with flames in the left hand...give them a short burst as you attack, so they take more damage.

I'm trying to avoid using the left hand button altogether. I sometimes catch myself subconsciously blocking when in tough fights, but its something I'd like to avoid. The more I rest, the quicker I'll heal.

JoeReese

Even a petty soul gem will help with adding damage to a weapon. Only down side is you need to toss it and make/use a new weapon each time you want to upsmith (until you have the arcane blacksmith perk) but that works well with the relatively low number of uses from petty gems anyway.

elias

But yeah I'm trying to avoid magic usage so I would need the mace of molag bai to get souls

JoeReese

I'm trying to avoid using the left hand button altogether. I sometimes catch myself subconsciously blocking when in tough fights, but its something I'd like to avoid. The more I rest, the quicker I'll heal.

I understand. I'd say a combo of the strongest fire enchantment you can add to your weapon, and a healthy cache of poisons. It's a bit of a pain to pause and reapply in combat, but it does work.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts