PC Skyrim running in 16 bit color instead of 32

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

killerkittykat

Hello everyone,

Skyrim seems to be running in 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color and I would really like to fix this.

To test my theory, I went to my monitor settings and changed everything to 16 bit and there was a noticeable different on my desktop and everywhere, but when I booted Skyrim it looked exactly the same.

So it's not my monitor, since I could see the difference when I switched form 32 to 16, and also I do not have this problem in any other games. I've done a lot of googleing an it seems like a fairly common problem, but I've yet to come across a fix.

I updated my nvidia drivers to the new beta ones (290.53) which didn't help. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Additionally, I recently did a clean reformat (earlier this week), but the problem persists.

Pllleeeasssse help me play Skyrim with all of its beautiful colors!

Here are some screen shots.

Smoke1.png

TESV2012-01-0809-39-52-46.png

TESV2012-01-0620-57-25-77.png

Thanks for taking the time to read! Please help me fix this :sadface:

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
What version of Windows are you running? (Since running Skyrim on Mac is a sticky business, I'm assuming you're running Windows.) Is it the 32 bit version, or 64 bit? If you're unsure, go to Start>Computer and right click the "Computer" tab, and choose "Properties". It should display a list of your machine and operating system specs.

I'm assuming you've already tried associating specific graphics options for the program? If not, try this: Go to Computer>C:>Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>skyrim and locate the TESV.exe file. Right click, and choose "properties", then find the "compatibility" tab. There you'll find a few options concerning graphics, resolution, and system compatibility that might help fix the issue. Without any specifics on your system, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what might be the problem, so I suggest a trial and error run with a few of these options. Just remember, if something doesn't assist the problem remember to go back and turn it off to prevent and further complications.

killerkittykat

What version of Windows are you running? (Since running Skyrim on Mac is a sticky business, I'm assuming you're running Windows.) Is it the 32 bit version, or 64 bit? If you're unsure, go to Start>Computer and right click the "Computer" tab, and choose "Properties". It should display a list of your machine and operating system specs.

I'm assuming you've already tried associating specific graphics options for the program? If not, try this: Go to Computer>C:>Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>skyrim and locate the TESV.exe file. Right click, and choose "properties", then find the "compatibility" tab. There you'll find a few options concerning graphics, resolution, and system compatibility that might help fix the issue. Without any specifics on your system, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what might be the problem, so I suggest a trial and error run with a few of these options. Just remember, if something doesn't assist the problem remember to go back and turn it off to prevent and further complications.

Hello and thanks for the response. Here are my specs:

Video card: NVIDIA GTX 460 with 2780MB of memory
CPU: Intel core i5 2.8GHz (quad core)
RAM: 4096MB DDR3
Vertex plus 120 GB SSD
Direct X 11

I've posted this topic to a few other forums. One in particular has been giving me a lot of responses and has been helping the problem. Here is a link for people who are experiencing a similar issue to the one I am experiencing.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1330611-skyrim-running-in-16-bit-color-instead-of-32/

I downloaded the program "Nvidia inspector" and I am tweaking some settings using that and already seeing improvements, though it's not perfect yet.

milanov

Hi. I have the same problem. I have not played it in a while and I have made a few changes on my PC after that I tried to play it and saw that I have a problem.

My previous configuration was Intel Pentium DualCPU E2180 2.0GHz ; 2GB RAM ; ATI HD2600PRO ; Windows 8 x86.
My new configuration is Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz ; 4GB RAM ; Nvidia GeForce 9600GT ; Windows 8 x64.

I don't know where is the problem, I made a lot of changes. I've changed my graphics, my processor, the OS with the "better" one. If I knew that I'm gonna have a problem, I was going to make changes one by one to see where is gonna get wrong. Now the shadows are somehow darker and strange, actually the dark places are really dark and it's not like it should be, the smoke is 16bit look like etc. Can you guys help me? I think it's from graphic card options. There are CUDA Physx and other BS and probably some of those is making my game awful or probably the game has changed its options because I changed my hardware and now it looks ugly