Psiberzerker's Build Clinic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
This is to be a place for Build Ideas, Strategies, Advice, and Torubleshooting to Help people with what I do best. Not just me, don't let the title fool you, but any other Doctors of Character Generation can play along too. You don't have to wait for me to call your name, but step right up Joker, don't be shy...

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Ok Psi, I am here for help. I have a character that I have started, the Magic Elf - the one with the extra magic. I am aiming for a wizard that does damage with magic primarily, if not exclusively. What should I be concentrating on?

Ok, first of all, it will help me help you if you don't mind answering a few simple questions:

What kinds of games do you like to play? Just the Genre's would be sufficient, but also specific titles if they're your favorites, addictions, or you have years of experience. FPSs? MMORPs? SPFRPs? Is this your first Elder Scrolls Game?

What kinds of characters do you generally play? Why do you like them, and what do you generally favor? (You said Wizard, and I'm already formulating the Advice for this, but more specific is better. What KIND of Wizard?)

How far are you in the game? Out of Helgen? Riverwood? (The First Town) Whiterun? (The first City.).?

What are you playing for? Immersion? Gold? Items? Unlimited Power? Do you want to just explore, maybe take in the storyline, and Role Play, or are you more interested in being an unstoppable force that bitch slaps the Gods?

Do you prefer to play alone, or with help? (There's no Co-op, but you can get Followers, and also Conjure help so you don't have to Solo.)

Wizard: First of all, this is the most challenging Class to play, but you passed the first test, you picked the right Race. Not only do you get skill buffs to all Magic, an Illusion Spell, and extra Magicka, but you naturally run a little faster than the other races, with Robes, and nothing but Magic in your hands, you will have the highest possible mobility. This is a good thing, because if you get surrounded, or cornered by a big guy with a Warhammer, you'll last for about 2, or 3 hits early on.

However, you don't Have to stick purely to the Mage Stone (Highly Recommended) and there's some other skills that might help your survival, not to mention give you experience with some of the other aspects of the Game. Altmer also excell at other Magical Hybrids with other skills, like Spellswords, Sorcerers, Battlemages, and Nightblades. In Tes lore, a Sorcerer is a Heavilly Armored Mage, but otherwise doesn't use much in the way of Weapons. It's nice to have a backup dagger, for when your Magicka (AKA Mana, or Magical Essence in other games) runs out. A Battlemage adds weapons, and often switches between spells at a distance, the Weapons at close Quarters. A Spellsword is a lightly Armored Scout, that uses Magic, and a Weapons (Doesn't have to be a Sword0 in each hand. That way, they don't have to switch, and can run in, and out of the Melee switching between them. Nightblades are Magic Assassins, they're much like Spellswords with Stealth. (The above list is in order of relative Simplicity->Complexity.)

Joker

What kinds of games do you like to play? Just the Genre's would be sufficient, but also specific titles if they're your favorites, addictions, or you have years of experience. FPSs? MMORPs? SPFRPs? Is this your first Elder Scrolls Game? This is my first Elder Scrolls game. The only other role playing game I have spent time playing was Champions of Norrath on the PS2. Normally I am playing sports games on my XBox 360.

What kinds of characters do you generally play? Why do you like them, and what do you generally favor? (You said Wizard, and I'm already formulating the Advice for this, but more specific is better. What KIND of Wizard?)

I like the tank mode that barbarians afford, but I kind of like this magic elf character that I am trying.

I am thinking more of an offensive wizard, rather than a passive one. A wizard that walks through the tunnel - hands out and kicking ass, not following a follower, but I am not against the help absorbing the damage. :D

How far are you in the game? Out of Helgen? Riverwood? (The First Town) Whiterun? (The first City.).? I am at Riverwood, and I have cleared out Bleak Falls Barrow so far.

What are you playing for? Immersion? Gold? Items? Unlimited Power? Power and immersion

Do you want to just explore, maybe take in the storyline, and Role Play, or are you more interested in being an unstoppable force that bitch slaps the Gods?

Do you prefer to play alone, or with help? (There's no Co-op, but you can get Followers, and also Conjure help so you don't have to Solo.) I haven't tried the conjure thing, and my follower on my first try died. That Lydia person that I got for being there when the dragon died. I restarted because I didn't really like that character.

Joker

A Spellsword is a lightly Armored Scout, that uses Magic, and a Weapons (Doesn't have to be a Sword) in each hand. That way, they don't have to switch, and can run in, and out of the Melee switching between them. Nightblades are Magic Assassins, they're much like Spellswords with Stealth.

Now, these two sound very interesting.

Joker

I figure that I would have to follow the story line to get levels, then once I got to a decent level, start venturing off the main path.

This is my first Elder Scrolls game. The only other role playing game I have spent time playing was Champions of Norrath on the PS2. Normally I am playing sports games on my XBox 360.

Everquest, Great! (Loved that game.) This is less of a Gauntlesque platform slasher, but of course, it's Fantasy, so the same basic Races/Classes apply. However, any Race can be any Class, so don't think that because you aren't a Dark Elf, you can't play a Shadowknight. (Type character, that would be your nightblade.)

I like the tank mode that barbarians afford, but I kind of like this magic elf character that I am trying. I am thinking more of an offensive wizard, rather than a passive one. A wizard that walks through the tunnel - hands out and kicking ass, not following a follower, but I am not against the help absorbing the damage. :D

Sounds like a Sorcerer, open up your Skills Menu, and take a look around... Heavy Armor, Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion wouldn't hurt (you) but is Optional, Restoration might be nice, and Smithing. Go talk to Alvor, he'll sell you some stuff, teach you how to Smith, and also have materials like Ingots, and Leather to improve your Armor. This will really help you, by not having to invest as much in Health, and therefore having more Magicka. It will slow you down, though, unless you wear Robes to help you recover Magicka, and a Helmet/Boots/Gloves to soak up some physical damage. Ypu have to deal with Magic Resistance separately, but we can get to that. If you have any other Classes you'd like to hear about, just name them, or we can adjust this one to dial it in for you.

I am at Riverwood, and I have cleared out Bleak Falls Barrow so far.

Perfect, when you're done with Alvor, go across the street to the Trader, and see what spells he has. Did you go with Ralof, or hadvar in Helgen Keep? (Where you fighting Stormcloaks, or Imperials?)

Power and immersion... being an unstoppable force that bitch slaps the Gods?

Definitely Sorcerer, or Battlemage. (You can always pick up Weapons to make the transition.)

I figure that I would have to follow the story line to get levels, then once I got to a decent level, start venturing off the main path.
Not at all, you don't Have to do anything, (That's one difference from the Everquest Console Games, like Champions of Norrath.) If you like, you can just run around, and kill stuff, or pick flowers to make potions, or whatever...

If you don't go see Balgruuf, and get bring the Dragonstone back, you don't unlock dragons, so you can save them for when you take a level in Badass. What difficulty are you playing on?

Now, these two sound very interesting.
Spellsword/Nightblade is like Sorcerer/Battlemage, only generally Light Armor. You get some protection, but a lot more Mobility, so it's less of a Stand&Tank, and more of a run around, evade, and take cheap shots. Also, you can start off a Spellsword, and then pick up the skills to become a Nightblade.

Joker

Perfect, when you're done with Alvor, go across the street to the Trader, and see what spells he has. Did you go with Ralof, or hadvar in Helgen Keep? (Where you fighting Stormcloaks, or Imperials?)

I followed Hadvar, so I think we were fighting Stormcloaks.

Definitely Sorcerer, or Battlemage. (You can always pick up Weapons to make the transition.) I think the magic elf that has a weapon and a spell loaded, sneaking around to surprise things sounds pretty god from what I am reading. I am sure that I will have to sneak for a while, so lets start there.

Joker

Spellsword/Nightblade is like Sorcerer/Battlemage, only generally Light Armor. You get some protection, but a lot more Mobility, so it's less of a Stand&Tank, and more of a run around, evade, and take cheap shots. Also, you can start off a Spellsword, and then pick up the skills to become a Nightblade.

I like this idea.

I followed Hadvar, so I think we were fighting Stormcloaks.

Definitely Sorcerer, or Battlemage. (You can always pick up Weapons to make the transition.) I think the magic elf that has a weapon and a spell loaded, sneaking around to surprise things sounds pretty god from what I am reading. I am sure that I will have to sneak for a while, so lets start there.
Yeah, that's a Nightblade: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightblade Now, that's a third era (Past games) Class, but it's easy enough to do in Skyrim. Go to Whirerun, talk to Farengar, and maybe swing by the Longhouse (Looks like an up side down boat hull) for the Companions. (Fighter's Guild.)

To start, you want Calm, Bound Sword (Very powerful, and it trains up your Conjuration as well) Leather Armor (Improved) and Oakfles to make it even stronger. Do what they tell you, probably run the Brawling Tutorial, and the first Dungeon Crawl. They will give you a Skyforge Steel War Axe (Or whatever, my personal favorite) you can Improve with the Steel Smithing Perk. This won't be as powerful as the Bound Sword, but to star, you just might run out of Magicka, so it's nice to have a solid backup.

Sneak, and Stab the Draugr (Ice Mummies) on the shelves before they wake up for Sneak Experience. Also, use a Silver Sword on them, until you get Mystic Binding (Conjuration.)

Here's what youre going for, or the general idea of perks that you want to get out of the way early: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#269771

Joker

Yeah, that's a Nightblade: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightblade Now, that's a third era (Past games) Class, but it's easy enough to do in Skyrim. Go to Whirerun, talk to Farengar, and maybe swing by the Longhouse (Looks like an up side down boat hull) for the Companions. (Fighter's Guild.)

To start, you want Calm, Bound Sword (Very powerful, and it trains up your Conjuration as well) Leather Armor (Improved) and Oakfles to make it even stronger. Do what they tell you, probably run the Brawling Tutorial, and the first Dungeon Crawl. They will give you a Skyforge Steel War Axe (Or whatever, my personal favorite) you can Improve with the Steel Smithing Perk. This won't be as powerful as the Bound Sword, but to star, you just might run out of Magicka, so it's nice to have a solid backup.

Sneak, and Stab the Draugr (Ice Mummies) on the shelves before they wake up for Sneak Experience. Also, use a Silver Sword on them, until you get Mystic Binding (Conjuration.)

Here's what youre going for, or the general idea of perks that you want to get out of the way early: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#269771

Is the underlined above in Whiterun?

I followed Hadvar, so I think we were fighting Stormcloaks. I think the magic elf that has a weapon and a spell loaded, sneaking around to surprise things sounds pretty god from what I am reading. I am sure that I will have to sneak for a while, so lets start there.

That's great, look under Alvor's Workbench, you'll see 5 Steel ingots, and 5 iron. the latter won't do you much good, but Steel is where it's at, especially if you just need a backup for Bound Sword. Keep in mind, the Skyforge Steel Dagger can't be improved, bout you're better off with a Handaxe, or Sword until you get Assassin's Blade, anyway. there's lots of good choices at that point.

Is the underlined above in Whiterun?
Yes, Farengar, the Wizard you gave the Dragonstone to the first time will have all of those spells, and the Longhouse (Jorvaskr) is down the steps on your left when you come back out. You can just hop down the rocks over the water fall to save some time going around...

Joker

That's great, look under Alvor's Workbench, you'll see 5 Steel ingots, and 5 iron. the latter won't do you much good, but Steel is where it's at, especially if you just need a backup for Bound Sword. Keep in mind, the Skyforge Steel Dagger can't be improved, bout you're better off with a Handaxe, or Sword until you get Assassin's Blade, anyway. there's lots of good choices at that point.

Is Bound Sword a skill?

Is Bound Sword a skill?
It's a Spell, it makes a Daedric (Demon) sword that weighs nothing, and eventually steals souls.

Nightblade:
F3C9EF53486E218C170EA6C42EABB7EADF39CE7B

Joker

Yes, Farengar, the Wizard you gave the Dragonstone to the first time will have all of those spells, and the Longhouse (Jorvaskr) is down the steps on your left when you come back out. You can just hop down the rocks over the water fall to save some time going around...

Oh, ok. I was thinking Riverwoods...... :oops:

Joker

So, I need to go to the longhouse when I start playing tonight then?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts