Psiberzerker's Build Clinic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So, I need to go to the longhouse when I start playing tonight then?
You don't have to, but it's a great place to get some Experience. Lots of enemies, opportunities to sneak attack sleeping Draugr (It's hard to get your Sneak up from 15 any other way) and find out a little about where you are, and what's going on there...

Once you have the Spells, do that, Crouch, and wait for the Eyecon to close (_._) and get double damage from a strike. This will level your Sneak, and Sword skil (One Handed) and every time you cast Bound Sword, then get in a fight, your Conjuration will go up. If you also have oakflesh on (to increase your Armor) you'll get Alteration Experience too. If you do it right, you can walk out of there at level 5-7, if you're level 1 going in...

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
You don't have to, but it's a great place to get some Experience. Lots of enemies, opportunities to sneak attack sleeping Draugr (It's hard to get your Sneak up from 15 any other way) and find out a little about where you are, and what's going on there...

Once you have the Spells, do that, Crouch, and wait for the Eyecon to close (_._) and get double damage from a strike. This will level your Sneak, and Sword skil (One Handed) and every time you cast Bound Sword, then get in a fight, your Conjuration will go up. If you also have oakflesh on (to increase your Armor) you'll get Alteration Experience too. If you do it right, you can walk out of there at level 5-7, if you're level 1 going in...

I take it I buy these from Farengar?

Since you're going for Immersion, it's also good role-play for your character. "Have you ever considered Mercenary Work? It might suit you." That's your chance to try it, decide whether you want to continue on with the Companions, or do something else. At the same time, it will unlock some Health, and Perk Points so you can start your build...

Joker

Since you're going for Immersion, it's also good role-play for your character. "Have you ever considered Mercenary Work? It might suit you." That's your chance to try it, decide whether you want to continue on with the Companions, or do something else. At the same time, it will unlock some Health, and Perk Points so you can start your build...

Ok, I might try that too.

I take it I buy these from Farengar?
That's right. Then go see the Companions. You should have the following in your starter Spellbook (In order of Importance:)

Fury: You came with this because of being a High Elf (AKA Altmer.) Hit someone with it, and they will randomly attack each other. Great way to turn a 2-on-1 into a three for all.

Flames: Starter Destruction, Draugr Hate this.

Bound Sword: You want this, trust me.

Oakflesh: More Armor, and trains up Alteration until it eventually gives you magic Resistance.

Calm: Makes them stand there like an idiot while you sneak around to Backstab them. Easy experience while your Sneak is so low. Since you already have Fury, you can come back for this when you have more money, after they make you an official Companion.

Joker

Oakflesh: More Armor, and trains up Alteration until it eventually gives you magic Resistance. - Riverwood?

Joker

So all this should get me to where you have me on the Pek Calculator?

Oakflesh: More Armor, and trains up Alteration until it eventually gives you magic Resistance. - Riverwood?
You can get it in Riverwood Trader, but Farengar sells it too. And a lot more spells, but those are the good ones when you're first starting out, and I don't know how much Gold you have. Spell tomes are expensive.

So all this should get me to where you have me on the Pek Calculator?
Well, you might want to add more as you go along, but yeah, those are the basics. I'm about to run down everything as far as perks, but it's going to be a long post.

Joker

Well, you might want to add more as you go along, but yeah, those are the basics. I'm about to run down everything as far as perks, but it's going to be a long post.

Ok, I will watch for that later tonight. Thanks for all your help. This is starting to make sense some, now.

This: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#269783 is what you're headed for. Not all of it is strictly necessary, and I'll get to that, but you shouldn't need more than that. Also, this is a Hybrid of Hybrids, a Nightblade that can also use Spellsword tactics in an open battle.

Light Armor: Optional. It's nice for a Spellsword, but a Nightblade who is invisible most of the time, and kills without fighting doesn't get hit too much. Lowest priority unless you're planning on going Spellsword with a minor in Stealth. (That would take some adjustment.) Wind Walker is what you're going for, because then you don't have to spend a point on Stamina, ever. Also, Unhindered with a Bound Sword means eventually you will be back to the fastest possible player character (An unencumbered Altmer.) I'd put points in Agile Defender Last, after more important stuff is taken.

Destruction: Optional, but it comes with some nasty combos. if you like, you can take this out completely, and put the points into Conjuration. Also, Illusion can be used to make them kill each other instead of worrying about you.

1Handed: All for Damage, but Backstab, and Assassin's Blade will multiply this substantually. Critical Charge is Very Nice for a more spellswordy build, but I was running low on points (Unavoidable with this kind of multi-discipline build) after level 50 it's a lot harder to level up.

Smithing: Nice, but you don't really need it. Replaced by Bound Sword, and backstab multipliers, I'd still temper up your starter leathers.

Sneak: Kind of overkill with Illusion, do not put more than 1 point in Stealth, it's a waste. Silence means you don't need Muffle, though you don't have to go that far if you take the Dark Brotherhood, or Nightingales quest lines. I'll get to that, probably in a couple days. Come to think of it, forget about Silence, and get Critical Charge instead, it's vital to a couple nasty combos. You like Combos, right? That's what Spellsword it all about!

Conjuration: Beyond Bound Weapons, you can take this over to Summoning, or necromancy. Those are late game, but Bound Sword will get you there all by itself on this build.

Alteration: Detect Life/Undead are two spells that will let you see the enemy first, so you can be sure the Never see you. Also, you can get Magic Resistance here, because spells go straight through Armor.

Illusion: In a word, Invisibility. the other effects are useful in a melee (Or shooting into it from the outside) but
this right here is what Makes you a Nightblade. It's an Expert spell, and Quiet Casting makes ALL magic, even Shouts silent, so they don't give you away...

Combos

Calm, and Backstab: This is your trainer, because it levels Sneak, 1H, and Illusion at the same time. Since they're magically incapacitated, you don't really need to Sneak, they'll just ignore you, but crouch anyway for the EX, and extra damage.

Invisibility, and Assassin's Blade: This is Game Over, once you get this, and a halfway decent dagger, you can kill anything on the ground that you see first. It'll probably get boring after a while, which is why you're also a Spellsword.

Critical Charge: Not really neaded for the Stealth Aspect, but you can Silent Roll, and hold down a Power Attack to leap from the shadows, and strike someone before they have a chance to react. Unfotunately, they patched it so it doesn't work with Backstab multipliers, but I guess it was because it's kind of horrendously OP. Not all that easy to pull off with a Dagger, but if you did, 15x that's damage, guaranteed double critical damage, AND stagger, so efen if they survive, they can't counter while you finish them off. You don't need it with Invisibility, but you're not just a Nightblade, either.

CC, and Disintegrate: Doesn't say it in the tooltips, but this Perk makes lightning lower Heath, Armor, and other resistances on strike. (i heard it was 15%) Followed up by a Critical Charge, it's a 1-2 punch from out of reach that cracks tanks open like a dropped watermelon. Again, even if they aren't killed instantly, they ain't feeling to good, and the Stagger (With a heavier weapon than a Dagger) means you can get at least another hit in before they recover, or run away giggling before coming around for another pass.

Stamina, and Magicka: This is what makes a fully realized Spellsword so unfair. Not as OP as a Stunmer Battlemage, but a lot mor fun to play than standing there in heavy armor, and spamming Impact all day. With a spell in one hand, and a weapon in the other, you can zot them from adistance, then strike them while your Magicka recovers. With Wind Walker, your Stamina recovers faster while you circle straffe, and carpet bomb them with Fire Balls. (Or Flaming Familiar.) Then, another Critical Charge to nail down the biggest target, finish him in a couple swipes, and skip away again... The trick is, one is going back up while the other is going down. Not forever, but this increases your Endurance susbtantialy while that Sorcerer is starting to tap out, and can't run away in all that Heavy Armor.

Ice Storm: This is where it gets kind of wrong. Cold Resistance is very common here in the frosen North, but it's spells have a tertiary (After the secondary Fatigue) effect of slowing whoever they hit that isn't counted by this. Also, Dragons need Stamina to take off, while Trolls (Even Frost Trolls) can't attack at all without it. And finally, this spell travels in a line, sweeping pretty far to either side, while you can kite the enemy into following you so you can hit them all... Extremely powerful with the Hit&Run tactics of a Spellsword.

Flame/Frost Cloak. This is why you got Adept Destruction. You're surrounded by damage over time, plus after effects. Flames keep burning after you run away to come back around, while frost still slows, and since you're sprinting Through the melee with a Critical Charge on the worst enemy, you can also swing by everyone else on the way by, and just brush them with your cloak. Finally, it has a 1 minute duration, so you can cast it, and by the time it wears off, your magicka has had time to recover (If you don't run it down casting other spells.) There may also be unavoidable situations where you can't avoid getting cornered where there's no room to maneuver. there's tight spots in Crypts, and the draugr can sometimes pile on like Mexican skinheads. While this isn't your kind of fight, a Flame Cloak can make up for quite a lot by making sure that Everyone burns (except you, and your follower.)

Hack&Slash and Burn: H&S is a 1H perk that adds Bleeding damage to attacks with an axe. This is why my pure Spellblades (I.E. not hybrid Nightblades) usually use them. It's 3 perks for a maximum of 18 damage over 3 seconds, but that's on top of the Burning status biff left behind by Fire Spells. Like Flame Cloak, which also does 8 DPS. This is in addition to the Weapon's damage, and you don't have to hang around to let them pound on you. Above, I shewed you how you could run through the melee on the way to Critical Charging the boss with a cloak, and burn people En Passant. With a Hatchet, you can keep going while he's still staggered, and he wil Keep taking Damage while you come back around. You already cast your Flame Cloak, and that pass let your Magicka recover a little, so this time, you can lead in with a Thunderbolt, then do it again! It's been longer than 3 seconds, so you re-up your Bleed&Burn, now that's he's weakened to both, chances are by the time you sprint away, and turn around again, he'll have succummed, or you can finish him with a parting shot.

At this point, his friends are probably regrouping to maybe start thingking about putting up some sort of retaliation, but their Boss is dead, some of them are at least singed, and you may have some cover to catch your breath. This is the power of the Spellblade, and if you start off with a backstab first, you can eliminate the Boss outright.

There's your build 8:|

Joker

So, I need to go to the longhouse when I start playing tonight then?
Yes, Farengar, the Wizard you gave the Dragonstone to the first time will have all of those spells, and the Longhouse (Jorvaskr) is down the steps on your left when you come back out. You can just hop down the rocks over the water fall to save some time going around...

The Longhouse, where am I supposed to fight Dragur? I thought that was only a barracks of sort.......

Joker

Played some last night, and I got a Grand Soul Gem out of a Giant I killed. That is to enchant weapons & armor, or just weapons?

Joker

I have a question about the build above & the combos. Should I then be adding a point on Hack & Slash? You didn't mention it in the build, and it is not on the Perk Calculator. Just wondering.

I have a question about the build above & the combos. Should I then be adding a point on Hack & Slash? You didn't mention it in the build, and it is not on the Perk Calculator. Just wondering.
That's Optional. I wouldn't because your points are already stretched thin enough, but if you have 3 left over at the end, or dedcide you don't need 5 in Agile Defender after all (For example) then these can be useful. It's more for a Spellsword than a Nightblade, and while the advice was prompted for your build, you're not the only one who will ever read it.

Also, if I wasn't clear on this, that is not a cookie cutter build, it's a general guide. Do what you want, but since you asked, here's some effective ideas. Build your own character, I can tell you how, but there's no reason why you have to Xerox mine.

Joker

That's Optional. I wouldn't because your points are already stretched thin enough, but if you have 3 left over at the end, or dedcide you don't need 5 in Agile Defender after all (For example) then these can be useful. It's more for a Spellsword than a Nightblade, and while the advice was prompted for your build, you're not the only one who will ever read it.

Also, if I wasn't clear on this, that is not a cookie cutter build, it's a general guide. Do what you want, but since you asked, here's some effective ideas. Build your own character, I can tell you how, but there's no reason why you have to Xerox mine.

I was going to follow it for the first few levels, then go off on my own tangent.... :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts