• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Stimulated by another thread, I thought I'd start anew one for general description of the type, rather than the specific one of the OP. first, some guidelines. This is not Dice&Dossiers, so I'm not sticking to the oft emulated standard of Maces. Some will use this, but only when Lore friendly. Also, IMO it ain't a Priest without some sort of Higher Power as patron, and to pray to. Here on Nirn, this means one, or more of the Aedra, and Daedra, of which there's a total of 25, which leaves plenty of room for variations. Some will be powerful, while others will be Nerfed, because they're allied with Mara, the Goddess of Love.

Stendarr:

The easiest, because there's already examples in the game, the Vigilants to emulate. Just kill one, and loot their body for the basic equipment. An Amulet of Stendarr, no brainer here, but note the Blessing it confers. Fortify Block, so I'm going to add a Shield right off the bat. Also usually a steel Mage, Boots, Gauntlets, and Novice Hood/Robes of Alter/Restoration. That should pretty much tell you what you've got, 1H(Mace) Block(Amulet) Alteration(Robes) Restoration(Healing, and Cure Disease, though there isn't a spell) Heavy Armor(Steel Accessories) and possibly Smith/Enchant. Right there, it screams Imperial, because they have all these skills at the start, plus the Voice of the Emperor to pacify those who stand in your way. (for Mercy, His Aspect.) Talk to the VoSs, their favorite quote is "Stendarr's Mercy doesn't extend to Daedra" so for RP purposes, your enemies are Dremora, Atronachs, Undead, Necromancers, Conjurors, and Vampires. (Just like all the randomly encountered VoS are fighting in the Wilderness.) Home base is the Hall of the Vigilants. You can also upgrade to Steel Plate, Spellbreaker, and up to Master Robes of Alteration/Destruction. Just like your Brethren, your spells will be: _Flesh, Dragonhide, Ward/Absorb, Healing/Hands, Bane of the Undead, Banish (the only Conjuration Spell, besides Soul Trap to train up to it. I RP that they take souls so the corpse can't be risen from the dead.) Healing Hands (mercy) and Guardian Circle.

Molag Bal

Now for the complete opposite, but he comes with a Mace (of Please don't hit me with That!) and a chance to betray, and kill 2 priests of other Gods. (Stendarr, and Boethia) So, do the Haunted house, and make yourself some Ebony, or Daedric Gauntlets. This guy is the Lord of Domination, Corruption, and Betrayal, not to mention forcing you to kill someone, twice. Another Quest you have to do that for is the Conjuration Ritual, to Dominate an Unbound Dremora into handing over the Sigil stone so you can Thrall Atronachs, and Undead. Yeah, right up MB's alley. Also, the stone unlocks the Atronach Forge so you can make Daedric armor.

The other skill I'd suggest is Illusion, as it's Mind Control, and allows you evil combos like Calm, and Smash. This gives you extra points for taking something nominally good, and corrupting it for Evil purposes (I.E Domination.) For the helmet, I suggest Vokun, which gives you 20% off both schools, and looks downright Evil with Master Robes(of Conjuration) and Daedric Accessories. The only other spells you should need are Summon Dremora Lord, Dead Thrall (so you can kill, resurrect, and kill again!) and Command Daedra.

Easy peasy, just Role Play everthing For Teh Evulz, and you should be set.

The one time I RPed this build, I started off a Vigilant, lured in by a request for assistance from one of my Bretheren, and Corrupted by Molag Bal. Then, I upgraded from Steel Plate to Ebony, started working up Conjuration, and finally did the Ritual. Once I earned Conditioned, he also swung by for the Ebony Mail (On my Master's command for taking his Shrine, I destroyed his Champion, and stole his Relic.) I did Imperial, but Breton is just as better with the boost to Conjuration, Magic Resistance, and Spell Absorbtion. The Atronach Stone is the best fit as far as Lore, but the Lord would also work.

Noctournal is the easiest. Nightengale Armor, Blade, and Bow. Done, son! Illusion, Sneak, 1H, Archery,..

For Clavicus Vile, I just got the Masque, and went Handaxe/Summon Familiar, not unlike Belrand. Light Armor helps a lot with having enough Stamina to evade, rather than Tanking. Might as well go with Belrand for symetry, actually a pretty powerful duo.

Hircine/Kyne/Y'ffre: Arguably different aspects of the same basic build. You can wear the Ring of one, and Amulet of the other. Bosmer (pretty much comes with Kyne's Peace) Light Armor (Savior's Hide) and a Skyforge Steel Dagger/Handaxe. Join the Circle, you know what I mean, but refuse to carry it through to the end... (You want more of us, and less of Them.)

Mostly an Archer, with a solid Dual Wield backup, and mastery of animals, you can stick to the Light side of Smithing by Improving Forsworn with Leather. The Reachmen might be considered Natural enemies, because they are claiming the Wilderness, which rightfully belongs to the Game, and Hunters. That should get you up to Scaled, which should be enough for your play style. You can actually get away with just Steel Smithing, with Skyforge Steel, and Forsworn weapons. Sneak, and Agile Defender along with mobility should keep you from ever having to Tank. I like an Axes, due to it's association with Woodsmen, so you could get that, which does extra damage to aminals, the Woodsman's Friend (2 handed) Forsworn, or Skyforge at higher levels. The bleeding damage also really helps.

My personal outfit is the Savior's Hide (Matches the Amulet of Kyne, and stacks with your natural resistance for Disease Immunity +Magic Resistance) Gauntlets of the Old Gods (Fortify Archery, you can wear the rest of the set to Match) and whatever else is clever. A Forsworn Bow(Flawless, or better) is about as good as you need, though I've done it with Bound, so I can also use Conjure Familiar. The Kyne's Peace Thu'um is obvious, role-played as a blessing from on high, along with Animal Allegence/Command Animal. I'd say the main quest is Optional, though they do fine against Dragons with a fully maxed Bow.

Sigdis' Amulet Fragment, and the Blackbow (after level 32 for the most powerful version) might also be nice, especially for fighting Mgaes. You don't really want to Cityfy enough to make it to Nightengale, nor DBH for Finerial's End, though Linwe's Hood is one of the best for this build, along with Krosis, which just doesn't look right. The Ancient Shrouded Hood will also stack with the GotOG for 40% moar damage with your primary weapon, but none of these are actually needed. Krosis for min/maxing, L's Hood for looks, or just stick with Forsworn.

I will point out that Hircine's real world counterpart is the Keltic God Hearne, which is usually depicted with Antlers. Therefore, the HotOG would be the most lore friendly, and help your Bosmer cast Bound Bow, if you prefer. I like that spell for this build, because it can be smuggled into Cidnha Mine. You just need a splash of Conjuration, with enough Magicka, and Mystic binding for a very effective backup weapon. If you want a follower, get a good Tank, a housecarl will do. otherwise, use the Familiar/Spirit Hound. Also get Animals on your side whenever possible, there's no reason to have the power, and not use it.

Akatosh

Aedroth of Time, so for Him, i stacked up all the Slomo effects I could find. His shout is Slow Time, natch, and you want Block/Archery for Quick Reflexes/Steady Hand. Also, the Longhammer, which you can combo with Elemental Fury for ludicrus DPs (It swings at Dagger speed with all 5 Words) or dual wield Swords with Dual Savagery. I went Argonian, with Horns, and face paint to look as Draconian as possible. (Look at the cover of the game, see that Dragon in the Imperial symbol? That's Him.) Hooded Monk Rbes for pure unrelenting Offense, or Dragon Scale armor for the look, and some protection. Histkin is also a real boon.

Dragonborn is Manditory, the Thu'um is Akatosh's gift to Mortals, and therefore your blessing. You may wear an Amulet of Talos for it's enchantment, as I'm not going for Magicka with this build. (The AoA was supposed to Fortify Speed.) I chose not to Fight Alduin, at all. Or, you can RP that it's not yet His Time, and your mission is to stop Him, for now. I'd get the Kell, though, as symbolic of Time as any old neclace.

Malakath:

Stuper simple, the Fellhammer, full Orkish Armor(Epic) all of it availible from the Cursed Tribe Quest. All that's left is to pick out your Enchantments. I went with Fortify Health, HA, 2H, and Magic Resistance to cover his 1 weakness. Guess which race. Stumped? Here's a clue, Beserker Rage.There's a few Orcish Archer followers, I suggest one of them to make up for your lack of range. Dunmer might be a second choice, as His aspect is the Cursed, and Outcasts. Also Argo, Kajit...

Talos

AKA Ysmir, this is General Tiber Septim, founder of the line of Dragonborn Emperors, and therefore God of War. Has to be Human, of some sort, no Thalmor loving Elf would stoop to worshiping Him (or could be built as an Altmeri renegade of the Dominion.) I went Nord, after all who else would He choose as Herald to Skyrim? (all though, Imperial is another obvious choice.)

After all, He founded the Empire. Just ignore the Apostate bowing to the White-Gold Concordant, part of your Destiny here is to overthrow that. The way I see it, there is an inheirent conflict to the whole situation. Though the SCs are defending His worship, it's kind of like Operation Rescue assassinating Abortion Doctors in the name of Jesus, and the sanctity of Life. So too the AD's insistence on the Empire banning Talos Worship,. There is so much wrong here, and now, I can't see how He wouldn't want to at least send a Profit to set it all right.

This is why all varients are a "Traitor" of some stripe, actually sent to put various factions on the True Path, not unlike Martin Luthor. Either a Nordic Legionairre, or Imperial Stormcloak, even an Altmeri anti-Thalmor. Expect to be accused of turning away from your people who are actually the ones who have strayed from Talos in the first place.

For gear, just look at His Shrines. Steel Plate Helmet, and Armor, though I also added Ulfrick's Clothes for a convincing Cape. (Also for better endurance, and speed.) You could console it in, or side with the Imperials in the civil war. I wore the Jagged Crown, as evidence of the True lordship of all Tamriel, then gave it to the other side (Empire, in this case) when I found a Steel Plate Helmet. Eventually, you may move up to Ebony, as the statues are all Grey, and it could be either black, or shiny in reality. (Matckes Ulfric's Stormcloak better, and much more AR.)Also, he favors the Sword/Axe combo over the D&D staple mace. (Look at his symbol.) All War, mostly Shouts for distance assaults, with swords, and axes mostly as symbols of office. (And as backups.) Show them the true power of the Dragonborn, and err of their ways by Force. After all, it is His Will, and Way. Either the Warrior, or Lord Stone, as much for Lore as effectiveness.

Roleplay as a Messianic Second Coming of not only the Dovakiin, but Talos Himself (some time in the near future.) I usually say out loud what my character would, when it conflicts with the scripted dialog, so spread the Word vocally, though it falls on deaf ears. I started at the Riverwood Shrine, just west of the bandit camp where you get the treasure Map I, and went to Whiterun in Hooded Monk Robes to get in a Shouting Match with Heimskyr, correcting all he got wrong in his perpetual tirade.

On the way to Kyne's Grove, there's another Shrine with Steel Plate Gauntlets. I made a Pilgrimage to every single one, to pray, but otherwise stuck to the Alduin Arc. In Solitude, get the Amulet from the headless body, and deliver it. Any quest involving a SoT, do it. Also, kill every Dragon, even the good one (they allow you to.) Get every Word, and use every Shout as your preferred tactic. (Maybe not Marked for Death, unless you can think of an excuse for doing the things leading up to the Sanctuary.) With the Shrines' blessing and Amulet, you shouldn't have to resort to the Axe/Sword as much.

Magnus

God of Magic, especially in High Rock, the only 2 races that would even become such a priest are Altmeri, and Breton. I chose the latter, for His Blessing, Spell Absorbtion, and Magic Resistance, the Atronach Stone is his Sign. (Or the Mage Guardian.) His Staff, Mage Robes, Morokei, and Amulets of allied Aedra such as Julianos, or Akatosh, (Or Jyrik's Amulet Fragment.) You may even chose to become a Vampire for the Absorb Health spell effect, though this may be going a little too far.

Pure Mage, obviously, so no Weapon, nor Armor skills. (Your only weapons are staffs, including the Lightning Spammer, and His.) Your Nemesis is with the Thalmor, represented most by Ancano, though you're not about to go, and marty Elenwen (Too bad you can't kill her!) either. Again, they are twisting the gift of Magic, for personal power, and domination of the rest of Tamriel, and "I WON'T STAND FOR IT!" Not real fond of the Synod for similar reasons.

Your destiny is Archmage, as close to High Priest as you can get. To bring the College back into step with the Psijics (You may want to console in their robes) Fortunately, the entire build can be gotten on this quest, much like Nocturnal's can be from the TG, or Sithis' from the DBH. After that, get Arniel's Shade, and do all the other side/sub quests until there's nothing left. Master all schools at least up to the ritual Spells, retrieve all the books, return the Mystic Tuning Gloves, and help out your classmates.

After that, any Mage related quests would be good. I collected all the DP masks, including Nahkriin, and Konariik to display in my quarters with the Diadem, but I wear the fully leveled Mage's Circlet. Used Console Commands to add all available spells, (Spectral Arrow, Firebolt Storms...) and fortified Destruction 100% for the sole purpose of fixing Keening. (Train up Enchant with Staffs, mostly.) Collect all staffs, (both of Holldir's, and Forsworns') and so forth. I've got a Basket to stand them up by the door. Actually one of the longer builds, mostly for the full collection, you might want to Bookshelf Train, then leave the OI on your table as the Ultimate Book along with the Elder Scroll. May revisit it in Dawnguard for all of them.

El Fonz0

Erm, this may be a bad time to say this, but Arngeir does say the Voice was a gift from Kynareth.

El Fonz0

Can we get back on topic? Here, I'll help. I'm not the best with words, so here's the basics.

Mehrunes Dagon: Wear Mythic Dawn Robes or Daedric Armor, use Atronachs and Flame enchanted weapons, Flame spells, kill Vigilants of Stendarr.

Can we get back on topic? Here, I'll help. I'm not the best with words, so here's the basics.

Mehrunes Dagon: Wear Mythic Dawn Robes or Daedric Armor, use Atronachs and Flame enchanted weapons, Flame spells, kill Vigilants of Stendarr.
Yeah, another easy one. I'd also add Conjuration to Summon Dremora Lord/s. (Not to mention teh Razor)

El Fonz0

Dragon Priest:
Wear Ancient Nord Armor or Dragon armor with a Dragon Priest Mask, use (Honed)Ancient Nord(Hero) weapons, use frost magic and frost enchanted weapons.

Dragon Priest:
Wear Ancient Nord Armor or Dragon armor with a Dragon Priest Mask, use (Honed)Ancient Nord(Hero) weapons, use frost magic and frost enchanted weapons.
I also wear the Archmage Robes, because they have the look. The question is, which Mask? Morokei stacks with the robes (I console in the unhooded ones, once I earn the title) Otar is always nice, or Nahkriin/Vokun for specific schools. The "Enchanted Weapons" are Dragon Priest Staffs, and I also use like element Cloak Spells/Atronachs if I'm role playing a DP. As for the patron, that would be Alduin, or Akatosh (for the Amulet.)

El Fonz0

I also wear the Archmage Robes, because they have the look. The question is, which Mask? Morokei stacks with the robes (I console in the unhooded ones, once I earn the title) Otar is always nice, or Nahkriin/Vokun for specific school. The "Enchanted Weapons" are Dragon Priest Staffs, and I also use like element Cloak Spells/Atronachs if I'm role playing a DP. As for the patron, that would be Alduin, or Akatosh (for the Amulet.)
By "Enchanted Weapons" I meant that your sword or bow deals frost damage, as enchanted Draugr weapons are Frost enchants, or in this case, use a Dragon Priest Dagger.
Oh, and any Mask really, depending on your preference.

By "Enchanted Weapons" I meant that your sword or bow deals frost damage, as enchanted Draugr weapons are Frost enchants, or in this case, use a Dragon Priest Dagger. Oh, and any Mask really, depending on your preference.
I understood, it's just that none of the DPs ever use a melee attack, ever. Even Krosis lacks a Bow, which he has a bonus to in his Mask. Do what you wilt, it's just if I'm RPing as one, I personally stick to what I see them do. Too bad I can't levitate, and float around on magic alone, that would be awesome. You can console yourself into one, but unfortunately, that doesn't let you equip anything, not even a Mask.

You could also consider yourself a Priest of the Dragon Cult, if not a true Dragon Priest per se. (What with having legs, and all.) I'm sure they were all mortals once, before becoming Liches. [edit]I just thought, you might wear the necromancer's Amulet too. Good bonuses, and you could chalk up the penalties to being partially alive.[/e]

El Fonz0

I understood, it's just that none of the DPs ever use a melee attack, ever. Even Krosis lacks a Bow, which he has a bonus to in his Mask. Do what you wilt, it's just if I'm RPing as one, I personally stick to what I see them do. Too bad I can't levitate, and float around on magic alone, that would be awesome. You can console yourself into one, but unfortunately, that doesn't let you equip anything, not even a Mask.
Yeah, I noticed what was wrong with what I said after I posted. I guess I was going more towards an Ancient Nord Warlock at the beginning. Too bad there aren't official Dragon Priest Robes, or mods that look good.

Yeah, I noticed what was wrong with what I said after I posted. I guess I was going more towards an Ancient Nord Warlock at the beginning. Too bad there aren't official Dragon Priest Robes, or mods that look good.
If you want it done right... The Archmages Robes are close enough for me. Also, if you use the right Complection, (Elderly) and coloration, you can get the face to look pretty dessicated. Call it Necropriest, or something. Probably wouldn't be too hard in the CK, because the model is already there (on the Ash Pile) so you'd just have to make it wearable. I'd probably give it Resist Magic, and Fortify Magicka Regen. The Saviour's Hide, while not an exact match would also not clash with the ensemble (with Poison Resistance, especially with one of the Light Armor masks, like Morokei/the Daidem.) If anything, I'd use a Dragon Priest Dagger, though Absorb Magicka, and Shock would be my enchantments of choice. All of the DPs use one of the three elements, including the unnamed ones (Krosis/Vokun=Fireball, Otar/Nahkriin/Hevnoraak=Storm Wall, Rahgot=Flame Wall, Volsung=Frost) except Morokei, who uses the Staff of Magnus. The Archmage's Staff of the Storm Atronach and Jyrik's Lightning Spammer would be other good choices.

My ultimate build would probably be Elder/Breton, Archmage's Robes, Diadem of the Savant, Morokei, (for maximum Fortify Spells) and a Staff of the Storm Wall.

El Fonz0

Aedric priests dont wear armor.
Don't wanna be all "I told you so", but the Vigilants of Stendarr have armored gauntlets and boots, and that one Priest of Arkay in Dawngaurd after he joins the Dawnguard.

Xarnac

Vigilants of Stendarr are not priests.

And Florentius is a former priest of Arkay.

Again, that's weird, because in my game, they usually have at least Steel boots/gauntlets. I've long suspected there were subtle differences like this, because mine also started on Novice difficulty (and resets whenever I re-install to integrate patches) even though I almost exclusively play on Adept. Maybe I got a Beta?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts