DAWNGUARD CAUSING SKYRIM TO CRASH ON LOADING

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

dara_hunter

I have the last patch, 1.7 (can't seem to find 1.8 on Steam no matter where I search, for some reason), and update 11, but still Dawnguard causes Skyrim to crash. I've added bAllowMultipleUploads=1 and done everything else everyone has said to do, even deleted all my old saves and uninstalled the actual game + mods (only have Dawnguard and Hearthfire) and reinstalled them....EXCEPT delete my .ini files, for one reason:

if i delete my .ini files, won't the game not load???? those are the notepad files with what archives, and display and sound and such info, right???

Also, Skyrim starts up just fine with Hearthfire loaded, but I cannot get the stewards or jarls to offer me land or adoption upgrades (like childrens rooms). ???????

I'M LOST!!!! !!!!!! :sadface:

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I have the last patch, 1.7 (can't seem to find 1.8 on Steam no matter where I search, for some reason), and update 11, but still Dawnguard causes Skyrim to crash. I've added bAllowMultipleUploads=1 and done everything else everyone has said to do, even deleted all my old saves and uninstalled the actual game + mods (only have Dawnguard and Hearthfire) and reinstalled them....EXCEPT delete my .ini files, for one reason:

if i delete my .ini files, won't the game not load???? those are the notepad files with what archives, and display and sound and such info, right???

Also, Skyrim starts up just fine with Hearthfire loaded, but I cannot get the stewards or jarls to offer me land or adoption upgrades (like childrens rooms). ???????

I'M LOST!!!! !!!!!! :sadface:

Welcome to the forums.

You can delete your ini files. I would advise backing up your saved games in a separate folder. And just reinstall everything from scratch. Do not add mods during this process, that will only cause problems if you do.

There could be many reasons why it's crashing.

The beta version of update 1.8 is now on steam so recheck.

Good luck ;)

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Welcome to the forums. Before anything else check for mod conflicts. I suggest this first and foremost because you mentioned you have Hearthfire which is VERY buggy, even still. Mods like Dovahkiin's Hideout, Collector's Vault, and the Dynamic Lighting mod will all cause CTD with Hearthfire. If you've already checked, or disabled your mods, proceed to step two.

Verify your game cache files. This will scan for any missing, misplaced, or corrupt game files and attempt to correct it for you. Load Steam, and enter your game library. Right click on Skyrim in the list and choose "Properties". Select "Local Files", then select "Verify integrity of game cache". Steam will proceed to verify your game's files - be patient this could take awhile. When it completes, try starting the game again.

For problems like these, when nothing else seems to help, I always suggest giving the "Unofficial" patches a try. They fixes dozens and dozens of small bugs, glitches, and common problems in the game with relatively little effort to install. I use them myself with NO problems whatsoever. They fixed quite a few issues for my game as well. The Unofficial Skyrim, Unofficial Dawnguard, and Unofficial Hearthfire patches are all available in the Steam workshop, but I'll add links at the end of this post if you prefer getting your mods from Nexus. After you've installed them, load Skyrim and choose "Data Files" on the splash screen. The load order should look like this:

Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp [if you have it]
HighResTexturePack02.esp [if you have it]
UnofficialSkyrimPatch.esp
UnofficialDawnguardPatch.esp
UnofficialHearthfirePatch.esp
[the rest of your mods]

Hope that helps you out.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community