Brand-Shei in Riften, does he ever get out of jail?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
After the Riften guards incarcerate him during the "A Chance Arrangement" quest, does he remain in jail indefinitely? I think Brynjolf said that he will learn his lesson after a few days in prison, but he has been in there for at least a week and he's still not out. I'm asking since I'm lamenting the loss of a good multi-purpose merchant from the marketplace.

I killed all of the merchants in riften because the kept mouthing off to me while in the inn, Haelga's bunkhouse. No bounty, as I killed them from behind with 15x sneak damage with Mehrunes dagger. Madesi is the only one still alive.

Jeff the DragonBorn

Some things don't make sense in this game. I was in some dungeon that had prisoners in cells - I think they were Nords. After I killed everyone and opened their cells they just stayed there. Even I came back a week later they were still standing or sleeping in the cells even though the doors were opened. I wound up using a frenzy spell on them just to get them out of the cells. ( My follower killed them all after they attacked me).

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I actually liked Brand-Shei, so this kinda irritates me. Could you perhaps break him out?

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
I liked Brand-Shei, he's a personable character and you almost pity him when you learn his history. I botched the job on purpose so I could go forward with the Thieve's Guild and keep him out of prison.

Docta Corvina

Yeah, I was wondering this very same thing. It's why I initially avoided Brynjolf for so long and was sorta irritated with him for a bit. I'd just completed Brand-Shei's favor mission and enjoyed his character, so I was loathe to do anything against him. Brynjolf's charms eventually prevailed and I did the mission in my second file. But I'm regretting not just botching it, especially if there's no way that he'll be leaving jail. :sadface:

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I wish I had had the sense to botch the job, too. I feel kinda stupid.. first I sympathize with him and help him uncover the secrets of his heritage, and then I frame him for a crime he didn't commit and send him right to jail. This would be anti role-playing, unless of course I was role-playing a chaotic neutral character.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Makes me wonder what Brand-Shei did to tick off the Thieve's Guild anyway. Who knows...he might have angered Maven.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I actually liked Brand-Shei, so this kinda irritates me. Could you perhaps break him out?
I opened the door just to see what would happen and he just stood there. I tried sprinting up against him so he'd be outside. For some odd reason, he loves spending time in his cell. It's really such a shame.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
I opened the door just to see what would happen and he just stood there. I tried sprinting up against him so he'd be outside. For some odd reason, he loves spending time in his cell. It's really such a shame.

*potential spoiler*

I remember when I did the "Missing in Action" quest to rescue Thorald Greymane from Thalmor custody (because, even though I supported the Imperials and not the Stormcloaks, as per my character I couldn't justify allowing someone to be tortured unjustly), I tried to set free all the other prisoners at the fort. I spent 20 minutes picking every lock expecting the prisoners to run free and be thankful. The most I got was a "What do you want?" and a "Leave me alone." when I tried to push them out. Kind of strange. :/

Jeff the DragonBorn

Same with some vampires I found in cells. Set them free and they attacked me! Ditto for werewolves even though I was one in human form. Figured they would be grateful and at least say thank you and disappear.

I also always help a prisoner met in the open. Whether he be held by Imperial or Thalmor I always slip them a weapon and battle with them. And when they live ( some times they die) they typically just walk away. The Stormcloak prisoners usually give a Talos greeting.

No gratitude in this game?

Yeah, I was wondering this very same thing. It's why I initially avoided Brynjolf for so long and was sorta irritated with him for a bit. I'd just completed Brand-Shei's favor mission and enjoyed his character, so I was loathe to do anything against him. Brynjolf's charms eventually prevailed and I did the mission in my second file. But I'm regretting not just botching it, especially if there's no way that he'll be leaving jail. :sadface:

Can you botch it and still get into the guild? If so, that's what I'll do on my next playthrough.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Can you botch it and still get into the guild? If so, that's what I'll do on my next playthrough.

Yes. Even if you botch the job Brynjolf will say something along the lines of, "Even though you didn't succeed I see some real potential, etc, etc." and will allow you to meet him at the Ragged Flagon to proceed with the Thieve's Guild.

Yes. Even if you botch the job Brynjolf will say something along the lines of, "Even though you didn't succeed I see some real potential, etc, etc." and will allow you to meet him at the Ragged Flagon to proceed with the Thieve's Guild.

cool. and to think, I never started that quest without leveling my sneak and pickpocket first because I never even considered failing.

Eva

I sorta wish I had botched that quest too.. I almost feel badly for Brand-Shei, mostly because I still have the quest in my log to find out about his past, whatever that means. I hope I can still do the quest for him while he's incarcerated.

I really wish the Thieves' Guild quest had begun with me getting Haelga arrested. It amuses me that she's such a... well, expletive deleted, and it would amuse me further if we could arrest her indefinitely.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
First of all, botch? I've never heard that word before. LOL. Anyway, I kind of wished Brand-Shei could get out of jail as well when I did that Thieves Guild mission. Which reminds me of something else. In My Time of Need, when you go to talk to that Redguard in the Whiterun cells, and you pay his sum, he never actually escapes from the jail, does he?

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
First of all, botch? I've never heard that word before. LOL. Anyway, I kind of wished Brand-Shei could get out of jail as well when I did that Thieves Guild mission. Which reminds me of something else. In My Time of Need, when you go to talk to that Redguard in the Whiterun cells, and you pay his sum, he never actually escapes from the jail, does he?

Sorry about that. :p It simply means to do something carelessly, or clumsily. Essentially to screw something up with poor effort.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts