1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Best wife in Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Oliverjames, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Oliverjames

Oliverjames Active Member

What's the most advantageous choice for a wife in Skyrim. Lydia holds a certain appeal-almost like a childhood sweetheart! Opinions?
  2. CharlesD

CharlesD Member

If you can solve the Aerin problem, Mjoll is pretty good. She's an absolute beast in combat and I don't think she can die. A bit of a chatterbox, but what woman isn't?
  3. Oliverjames

Exactly that! Good suggestion, but I dislike followers. As a sneak archer, they wade in and ruin being hidden! Haha. Also prevents much giant or dragon hunting as they just stand there and get killed.
  4. Andante

Andante Roleplaying Moderator

Really, all of them have the same advantages. They all generate gold by opening shops, they all cook for you, and when you sleep together they provide the "Lover's Comfort" buff, which allows your skills to improve 15% faster for 8 hours. However, spouses that are followers cannot offer you that bonus; though, if you're a werewolf, you can't receive it, anyway, since you aren't granted restful sleep.

If you're wanting a spouse that can also be useful to you as a follower, be cautious, as many essential NPCs will lose that status after being married. Meaning that, while it often times still takes more to kill them than others, they can still die. Members of the Companions faction are good examples. Characters like Aela, Farkas and Vilkas are essential during and sometimes after the Companions questline, but lose that status once married or the questline is complete. If you're a cautious player, this might not be a problem for you, but it really is worth considering.

I'm still working on a complete guide to Marriage and its benefits in Skyrim, if you'd like to give it a look in the near future. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oliverjames

I certainly will! Considering I rarely use followers, and certainly wouldn't take my wife into battle (who would!) I suppose it's just personal preference then is it.
  6. Andante

On another quick note I forgot to mention, some spouses already own houses, or some property that they are entitled to. Marrying them will also entitle you to share and use of that property. For example, Camilla Valerius owns the Riverwood Trader shop, Mjoll the Lioness shares a house with Aerin, Uthgerd the Unbroken owns a home, and Muiri owns the Hag's Cure shop in Markarth. Some have less than desirable property like Aela's bed in Jorrvaskr, and Brelyna Maryon only being entitled to her dorm room at the College of Winterhold. Either way you're granted free access and use in both cases.
  7. Oliverjames

Interesting, i wish you could marry Odahviing. That'd be interesting to watch, cooking with it's breath, wearing an apron. Sounds like the setting for a sitcom.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ShadowMage

ShadowMage Article Writer

This made me laugh.
  9. Oliverjames

Good! Seriously though, better looking and better tempered than my girlfriend. And not as good in a fight, so swings and roundabouts really.
  10. ShadowMage

Lol
  11. Ironclad

Ironclad Active Member

I thought you couldn't marry Lydia..
  12. ShadowMage

Yeah you can, she LOVES you.
  13. Ironclad

Ironclad Active Member

Gosh! I feel bashful now. :D

Do I have to buy a prospective wife a few drinks, take out for dinner and all that, or just club her over the head - caveman style?
  14. Oliverjames

The college in winterhold sells Rohypnol
  15. Andante

Spike her mead with Skooma. Works every time.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Eva

Eva Member

My character has avoided marriage. I can't find a single suitable man to marry, and I've been toying with the idea of just marrying another woman for awhile now, seeing as it has its benefits.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Oliverjames

Although then you have the downside of a drug addict wife?
  18. Windress

Windress Active Member

Why wouldn't you take your wife into battle, exactly? I've taken Spouses of both genders with me on quests, they're exceedingly helpful depending on your combat style.

Like Andante said, if you're not looking for a readily available follower, then most marriages have the exact same benefits, whether you marry a man or a woman (or an Orc... or an Argonian. Why are there no Marriageable Khajiit??). The property aspect is important as well. Taking that into account, I like having Uthgerd the Unbroken as a wife for my Mage. She owns a house in Whiterun and she's a great Tank.
  19. Oliverjames

I'd feel an obligation to protect her is all
  20. Eva

Eva Member

That frustrates me- why wouldn't they make "marriageable" character for every race?

And, on topic, the only character I've actually considered marrying is Jenassa, the mercenary in the Drunken Huntsman. Her character and mine hit it off pretty well, considering we both seem to be assassin-types, and she was the only one I could tolerate taking on missions. The other followers all seem to be sword n'board, or "I RUN IN AND KILL RAAARRRGH" types. That and she always told me "we're one of the same kind, you and I". :p

Silly man, leaving the weak, pathetic wifey behind while you do your work. LOL.
    • Like Like x 1