• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Oliverjames

What's the most advantageous choice for a wife in Skyrim. Lydia holds a certain appeal-almost like a childhood sweetheart! Opinions?

CharlesD

If you can solve the Aerin problem, Mjoll is pretty good. She's an absolute beast in combat and I don't think she can die. A bit of a chatterbox, but what woman isn't?

Oliverjames

Exactly that! Good suggestion, but I dislike followers. As a sneak archer, they wade in and ruin being hidden! Haha. Also prevents much giant or dragon hunting as they just stand there and get killed.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Really, all of them have the same advantages. They all generate gold by opening shops, they all cook for you, and when you sleep together they provide the "Lover's Comfort" buff, which allows your skills to improve 15% faster for 8 hours. However, spouses that are followers cannot offer you that bonus; though, if you're a werewolf, you can't receive it, anyway, since you aren't granted restful sleep.

If you're wanting a spouse that can also be useful to you as a follower, be cautious, as many essential NPCs will lose that status after being married. Meaning that, while it often times still takes more to kill them than others, they can still die. Members of the Companions faction are good examples. Characters like Aela, Farkas and Vilkas are essential during and sometimes after the Companions questline, but lose that status once married or the questline is complete. If you're a cautious player, this might not be a problem for you, but it really is worth considering.

I'm still working on a complete guide to Marriage and its benefits in Skyrim, if you'd like to give it a look in the near future. :D

Oliverjames

I certainly will! Considering I rarely use followers, and certainly wouldn't take my wife into battle (who would!) I suppose it's just personal preference then is it.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
On another quick note I forgot to mention, some spouses already own houses, or some property that they are entitled to. Marrying them will also entitle you to share and use of that property. For example, Camilla Valerius owns the Riverwood Trader shop, Mjoll the Lioness shares a house with Aerin, Uthgerd the Unbroken owns a home, and Muiri owns the Hag's Cure shop in Markarth. Some have less than desirable property like Aela's bed in Jorrvaskr, and Brelyna Maryon only being entitled to her dorm room at the College of Winterhold. Either way you're granted free access and use in both cases.

Oliverjames

Good! Seriously though, better looking and better tempered than my girlfriend. And not as good in a fight, so swings and roundabouts really.

Ironclad

Gosh! I feel bashful now. :D

Do I have to buy a prospective wife a few drinks, take out for dinner and all that, or just club her over the head - caveman style?

Eva

My character has avoided marriage. I can't find a single suitable man to marry, and I've been toying with the idea of just marrying another woman for awhile now, seeing as it has its benefits.

Windress

I certainly will! Considering I rarely use followers, and certainly wouldn't take my wife into battle (who would!) I suppose it's just personal preference then is it.

Why wouldn't you take your wife into battle, exactly? I've taken Spouses of both genders with me on quests, they're exceedingly helpful depending on your combat style.

Like Andante said, if you're not looking for a readily available follower, then most marriages have the exact same benefits, whether you marry a man or a woman (or an Orc... or an Argonian. Why are there no Marriageable Khajiit??). The property aspect is important as well. Taking that into account, I like having Uthgerd the Unbroken as a wife for my Mage. She owns a house in Whiterun and she's a great Tank.

Eva

Why wouldn't you take your wife into battle, exactly? I've taken Spouses of both genders with me on quests, they're exceedingly helpful depending on your combat style.

Like Andante said, if you're not looking for a readily available follower, then most marriages have the exact same benefits, whether you marry a man or a woman (or an Orc... or an Argonian. Why are there no Marriageable Khajiit??). The property aspect is important as well. Taking that into account, I like having Uthgerd the Unbroken as a wife for my Mage. She owns a house in Whiterun and she's a great Tank.
That frustrates me- why wouldn't they make "marriageable" character for every race?

And, on topic, the only character I've actually considered marrying is Jenassa, the mercenary in the Drunken Huntsman. Her character and mine hit it off pretty well, considering we both seem to be assassin-types, and she was the only one I could tolerate taking on missions. The other followers all seem to be sword n'board, or "I RUN IN AND KILL RAAARRRGH" types. That and she always told me "we're one of the same kind, you and I". :p

I'd feel an obligation to protect her is all
Silly man, leaving the weak, pathetic wifey behind while you do your work. LOL.

Latest posts