• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skyrimosity

Ummm... no. FYI, plural of staff = staves

ShadowGambit

Sorry, but what do you mean by "maiming them"?

I don't quite understand the question if you follow the definition of the word "maiming" or "to maim" :

"Wound or injure (someone) so that part of the body is permanently damaged."

You mean as the primary weapon? I've done that, but you need at least a Soul trap weapon, or to be good with the spell, because they burn through gems with a quickness. Great way to get your enchantment up in the early levels before you can make anything useful without grinding. Especially with the Staff of Jyric Gauldurson, which you can discharge rapidly, with enough hit-scan damage to take down Dragons with relative ease. I paired this (and other useful Staves, like DPs' and Magnus') with Spellbreaker, because it's Ward effect doesn't require Magicka, and it can block/bash for good defense against melee, and arrows as well as Magic. No investment in Magicka is just gravy.

Also, Scrolls (which are a lot more common) especially J'zargo's Experimental Flame Cloaks. I highly recomend The Black Star to keep them topped off. I used Bound Sword with Soul Stealer at first, then a Skyforge Steel Handaxe of Firey Souls, and Absorb Health from disenchanting the Drainheart Axe once I started DiY, and perked up Hack&Slash for a Staff/Blade combo. Not a gamebreaker Build (in Monk's robes with regular brown Boots, and Gloves to match.) I put it all in Health, with Stamina/regen enchantments for bashing, and sprinting.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
Now i'm playing a one-handed character, I use them on occasion. If I was playing a mage, I'd be using them all of the time. People complain about running out of mana, usually arn't using staves.

I can never seem to find a good one though, besides the skull of corruption. I really liked the the concept of the staff of magnus, but it doesn't regenerate your mana or its charge, so its useless.
Quite surprised they haven't patched it actually.

ShadowGambit

Staves need to be craftable though, would be a GREAT improvement for pure casters

Clau

The Fateless One
Anyone here uses the wabbajack? How effective / ineffective is it? My build is an assassin with minor illusion skills so I just sold it.

I might take it back for some mischievous activities.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
Anyone here uses the wabbajack? How effective / ineffective is it? My build is an assassin with minor illusion skills so I just sold it.

I might take it back for some mischievous activities.
I completely forgot about the Wabbajack! I used it a bit, and generally it is very effective. (capabale of killing ancient dragons quite easily) Except I have blasted a rabbit with it, just for the rabbit to turn into a dremora and instantly decapitate me.

So, its effective with a bit of an occasional backfire.

Wabbajack is unreliable. It can heal the enemy as easy as damage them, or turn them into something more powerful instead of a chicken, or pile of coins. On certain enemies, like Dragons, or Giants, it seems to just do damage effects, though. I forgot the Archmage's Staff of the Storm Atronach, which is also very handy, as would be the Rose, had I done that quest. I don't like the SoC, because it has to be recharged with Dreams as well as Soul Gems, while a plain old Staff of Fireballs does not.

xdarkangelx12

I personally think they are pointless, since if you have a high enough destruction level, you can do alot stronger spells :) (I have 100 destruction, but i still collect staves for no reason :p).

Clau

The Fateless One
Thanks. I can just use it for mischief then. But not in a heavy combat like Draugr infested tombs. I do like its roulette effect as described, good for a laugh against wandering soldiers. :D

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I like Staves that do shock damage, give one to Lydia and she'll become a badass

ShadowGambit

Epic nord, get me a Staff +25% destruction and +25% illusion please :)

Clau

The Fateless One
I carry around Sanguine Rose to help me even the odds when I'm fighting outnumbered. My favorite so far.

xdarkangelx12

I just use the master lvl destruction spells if im outnumbered, only bad thing is though they're area radius is so big (i use blizzard) crazy lol, even damages me xD, coz its just a large radius lol.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I just use the master lvl destruction spells if im outnumbered, only bad thing is though they're area radius is so big (i use blizzard) crazy lol, even damages me xD, coz its just a large radius lol.
I use Lightning Storm for Dragons. I don't use frost or fire spells anymore,
Lightning Storm is like KAMEHAMEHA!!!