• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dovahdream

I'm having all kinds of problems with the UI on the xbox, I'm trying to set up weapon sets and link them to the L Dpad and R Dpad buttons for my ranger character, I want her to have a bow set to the L Dpad and then switch to dual wield swords when I press the R Dpad, only problem is, as soon as I go into the favorites menu to cast a heal spell or summon wolf spell it re-sets the l and r dpad buttons. ( I'm having the same problem with my warrior character who's using a sword + shield ) Is there any way of ' pinning down ' your weapon set selections so that they wont reset when you cast spells ?

I have to say I'm VERY disappointed with the weapon set UI on the xbox, it's not been very well laid out at all, why could they not of just had 4 different weapon / spell sets that you can per-determine then simply appoint each one to one of the 4 a dpad buttons ? :sadface:

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Hmm.. I've never had an issue with keeping the hotkeys locked in.

I'm assuming your bow is assigned to "1." and your sword to "2."?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I'm having all kinds of problems with the UI on the xbox, I'm trying to set up weapon sets and link them to the L Dpad and R Dpad buttons for my ranger character, I want her to have a bow set to the L Dpad and then switch to dual wield swords when I press the R Dpad, only problem is, as soon as I go into the favorites menu to cast a heal spell or summon wolf spell it re-sets the l and r dpad buttons. ( I'm having the same problem with my warrior character who's using a sword + shield ) Is there any way of ' pinning down ' your weapon set selections so that they wont reset when you cast spells ?

I have to say I'm VERY disappointed with the weapon set UI on the xbox, it's not been very well laid out at all, why could they not of just had 4 different weapon / spell sets that you can per-determine then simply appoint each one to one of the 4 a dpad buttons ? :sadface:

I have my favourite weapons, arrows, potions, spells, shouts, etc saved to my favourites, that way all I need to do is press up on the D Pad & select the one I want. If it keeps resetting then the problem may well be in your controller not the game. Since I started playing Skyrim back on the 24th November I've gone through 2 Controllers & I'm now on my 3rd Controller. I had the problems you have mentioned with my 2nd controller.

Hmm.. I've never had an issue with keeping the hotkeys locked in.

I'm assuming your bow is assigned to "1." and your sword to "2."?

Xbox Controllers don't have hotkeys like computers do, so we have to add whatever to our favourites & access them through the D Pad.

MushroomGenius

Xbox Controllers don't have hotkeys like computers do, so we have to add whatever to our favourites & access them through the D Pad.

.... I know, I play on a 360. :confused: Your directional left on Dpad = "1." ... directional right on Dpad = "2."

1. Favorite desired item
  2. Go to your favorites menu and highlight desired item
  3. Hold left or right on the D pad. (Holding left should put a little 1 next to the item and right will put a 2).
This way you can at least have 2 "hotkeys" and when you press left you will automatically equip the "1" item and pressing right will auto equip the "2" item. Hope this helps you out! :D

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

Dovahdream

I don't think I'm explaining myself properly, here's the problem I'm having ( this time with my necromancer character )

What I want to do is to have 2 basic sets, 1 assigned to each of the dpad hotkeys what I want is

DPAD LEFT

LEFT HAND (LT) - OAKFLESH
RIGHT HAND (RT) - CONJURE FLAME ATRONAUCH

DPAD RIGHT

LEFT HAND (LT) - FLAMES
RIGHT HAND (RT) - SWORD ( ENCHANTED WITH SOULTRAP )

When I come across an enemy I want to summon my minion with one hand ( to keep him busy ) and then oakskin myself with the other hand just in case. Then at the flick of a switch ( rdpad button ) have set 2 ready (instantly) so that I can twat it with my sword with one hand, soul trap it and then fry it with the other hand to trap its soul

I have tried and tried and tried and can't for the life of me fathom out how to do this. It's not a difficult thing to do really, assigning different weapon and skill sets to the dpad buttons for instant access without having to trawl through your skills and inventory, it's a relatively easy concept that most other rpg's I have played have managed to accomplish !!

( I don't mean to flame the game, I do like it VERY much but this tiny little thing which has never caused me any problems in other rpgs is really crushing my nuts atm lol )

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone can help me out with this one :D

MushroomGenius

You can't do it because that's not within the game's mechanics to do so... at least not on the button-limited consoles. You're only allowed to assign ONE skill/weapon to the Left-Directional and ONE skill/weapon to the Right-Directional... not a combination as you're trying to do.

This is how I would approach it:

1. Assign Flames to "1." - Your Left-Directional.
2. Assing your Sword to "2." - Your Right-Directional.
3. Before combat starts, cast your Oakflesh.
4. Once you spot the enemy, cast your Flame Atronach.
5. Left-Directional to equip Flames to Left Hand.
6. Right-Directional to equip Sword to Right Hand.
7. Finish the fight.
8. Favorites Menu to re-equip Oakflesh (LH) and Conjure Flame Atronach (RH).
9. Continue exploring.

It's a bit cumbersome, but you get used to it. I run around with a zero-armor build, so I almost always have a Flesh spell active.

Dovahdream

Thanks for the tip, you've pretty much confirmed what I already feared tbh. I really don't know why they made the UI mechanics like this, as I said earlier, it wouldn't have been difficult for them to come up with a system whereby you can assign different skill sets to each of the FOUR ( never mind just two ) D pad buttons which you can toggle between instantly without having to keep pausing the game and go trawling through your skills menu and inventory every 2 mins ( they managed to do it with Dragon Age 1 and 2 lol ) Still, it's the only complaint I have with the game so far and I've been playing it for pretty much 4 days solid now........Well, unless I can complain about the complete lack of sleep I've had since buying the game....cheers Bethesda ! :D

MushroomGenius

No problem, happy to lend a hand... or just reconfirm what you already concluded on your own.

Hopefully they'll expand on the hotkey system in DLC, but it's doubtful. I started playing Skyrim after playing several years worth of MMOs. I've always been partial to Mages, so having multiple skills hotkeyed was essential to me... at the time. I've since gotten used to it, but I'd rather not have to pause combat to switch things up, it just interferes with the immersion.

I was so desperate that I even looked into buying the 360 chatpad hoping that I could assign hotkeys to that, but to no avail... you can't customize the keys at all on the 360.

Dovahdream

I know what you mean, I was a big mmorpg fan as well, WoW was my game of choice and mages were always my class of choice ( well, any spell caster really, always find the fighter classes a bit dull tbh ) I guess you could say " I used to play WoW and then I took a Skyrim to the knee " :)

Dovahdream

OK I've admitted defeat, I've given up trying to play this game with anything more complex than a 2H sword wielding warrior class with Rdpad as my weapon and Ldpad as my heals. It's just too much farting about with menus and I can't be doing with the ' stop-start-stop-start-stop-start ' play style of spell casters or switching between bows and 2 swords. I'm a veteran of video game rpg's and have been playing them since 'The Hobbit' on my vic20 ( yes, I'm THAT old ) and I have to say that this is without a doubt the worst user UI I have come across in a rpg. It's a crying shame because other than that, the game is superb. I would dearly love to play the game as something a bit different, a murderous assassin, a soul stealing, undead commanding necromancer or a bow/dual sword wielding ranger but thanks to the UI I have to go for route one and play as a brainless hack and slash grunt which I normally despise and avoid like the plague in all other rpg's. I guess that's a testament to how good the rest of the game is though if I'm prepared to play it through as one of my all time least favorite character classes just so I can play it at all !!

:sadface: :sadface: :sadface: :sadface:

MushroomGenius

I would just stick it out, I did. It's not so bad after a while. I wouldn't waste my time on using the 1h in your right hand, just go with Destruction magic and your conjured.

If you're smart about using your conjured minion, you can pretty much disregard the flesh spells unless there are a bunch of archers... like in a Forsworn camp. In this example, you'd basically just use your Atronach as a Tank and just shove him in everyone's face. Especially when you get the Frost Atronach, he's EXTREMELY useful in dungeons, he can be used to completely block hallways protecting you from harm. If he's dying, back up and recast him, just always keep the Atronach between you and your opponent.

Once you decide to go with the 1h, you end up taking unnecessary damage. One of the greatest advantages to using magic is distance. When you decide to charge in with your 1h flailing away, you lose that advantage.

Starting out, I kept my Atronach in my left hand, Destruction spell in right. Hotkeyed: 1. Summon Atronach, 2. Healing. From there, it's a easy switch to the favorites to track down my Destruction spell of choice or Flesh spell if I needed it. If you keep your favorites menu clean, it's only a couple of seconds.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts