• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Diisk

I'm trying to use alchemy, but it's hard to find ingredients.
Also how do I level it up? I made 10 minor health potions and I didn't even gain a level..

Any help on the basics of alchemy? I just want to create tons of healing potions

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
Alchemy is fairly rubbish but it probably helps if you get training. I prefer to kill vampires take their vampire dust and make invisibility potions and making poisons seems to help.

ShadowGambit

To level your alchemy, you need to make EXPENSIVE potions. The more expensive, the faster you will gain alchemy level.

This may help you.

Skyrim Alchemy Profitability Calculator

To find the ingredients, go around all the Alchemist shops in Skyrim and buy all the ingredients there. Then go down the list of each ingredients and make the most valuable potion from it. Always create MULTI EFFECTS potions as they are much more valuable.Go down you whole list then sell whatever potion you can to the Alchemist there. Move to another alchemist.

Also, get Fortify Alchemy enchanting gear, it will increase the effect and the value of the potion quite a bit.

If you go around all the Alchemists in Skyrim, it will take you more than 2 days of game time to do so. So when you are done with your last Alchemist, you can return to the first one, who would have restocked.

As you can see, you will get rich fast, increasing your Alchemy Skill as well as your Speech skill. At the end it comes to a point that you are making potions so expensive that Alchemist are not able to buy it anymore. My advice is to then get the Investor Perk in the speech tree. Then go invest in the General Good in Riverwood. This guy is specific because with Investor, he will get 10.000+ septims every 48h to buy stuff from you. Other merchant would only have an increase of 500 septims when you invest in them. A little bonus, because you took Investor, that also means that you have the Merchant perk, so all the merchants in game will be able to buy potions from you.

Don't forget to take the Thieve Stone, so you will gain level in Alchemy even faster.

Tara

I don't know how you can be having problems getting ingredients, lol. I always make so many potions after my trips.

I think it's because I'm always outside hunting and I kinda plan where I'm gonna go based on how long it has been since I've harvested the plants and stuff there.

One tip is that roads tend to have a lot of harvest-able plants aligned for some reason. Broken tree trunks also tend to have mushrooms that I always forget the name of.

If you have PC, you can also get Willow's 101 bugs mod from Nexus Mods. It adds a bunch of new flying bugs to collect.

Xarnac

Alchemy is fairly rubbish but it probably helps if you get training. I prefer to kill vampires take their vampire dust and make invisibility potions and making poisons seems to help.
No, not at all.

Ingredients are everywhere. Eat any doubles you find to unlock effects. Unlike smithing and enchanting, alchemical ingredients are relatively cheap. You can buy a few hundred Septims worth of ingredients to make thousands worth in potions and poisons. It is easily the most lucrative crafting mechanic in Skyrim. And you dont even have to have a high level in Alchemy to make expensive potions. You can even find success in mixing ingredients randomly. You will also find ingredients that go together around the same area. It will also unlock any effects and catalogue them for you so you know them through experimentation.

When you visit alchemists and they dont have what you want, or you just want to restock their supply, you can; auto save, strike the merchant, reload the autosave and they should have new items.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
If you're having trouble finding ingredients, you must be fast traveling everywhere, yes? In every dungeons there are ingredients, on every road, and often there are pickable plants within towns. Wild animals often give ingredients, too. Bear claws, saber cat eyes...

Just keep your eyes open, ingredients are literally everywhere.

osheao

like it was said, there is a huge abundance of alchemy ingredients for those who search well, leveling-up is dependent on gold worth and i HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you do NOT use online/outside resources or other "cheats" to discover the potions. why?? it is highly rewarding to discover things on your own. the resources and cheats will always be there.

as it was incorrectly stated, alchemy is not rubbish but HIGHLY effective and can replace/mimic multitudes of other skills/spells/perks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts